Anyone know, have or seen: unmarketed, uncatalogued Connectix Virtual Game Station v1.0 for Mac?

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by vexatious, May 6, 2019.

1. vexatious

vexatious Rising Member

Looking for clues to a real original CD-R of this extremely rare version 1.0 of "Connectix Virtual Game Station". It only seemed developed for Macintosh at the time (PowerPC). Several hundred hand produced CDrs were sold @ Macworld Expo in January 1999 at a big booth only a few days after done coding.

Read more about it from Aaron Giles (one of the developers) site here https://aarongiles.com/programming/war-connectix/

Those of you who do own the oldest marketed version know it's for Macintosh only and comes on black labeled CD. This one catalogued sometime in February 1999. It's v1.1 and I have it. There was a v1.1 patch update for the older unmarketed version around this time too, but seems to have disappeared.

More interesting information here http://www.geocities.ws/SiliconValley/Chip/8059/archive.html

Thanks for any help!

EDIT

Lost v1.1 update to un-marketed v1.0 "Connectix Virtual Game Station" had filename "CVGSu11.sit.hqx" without quotes. Was located @ http://www.connectix.com/connect/files/ before shutdown. Special thanks to http://www.geocities.ws/SiliconValley/Chip/8059/archive.html. Anyone can help find this file, let me know. Thanks!

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    pool7 and Zant like this.
  2. Tyree_Cooper

Tyree_Cooper Peppy Member

Oh my, the box photo hit me like a hammer!

[​IMG]

I'm sure I bought this a long time ago at my nearest shopping mall, God knows what I did with it, probably gave it away later on. Sorry this doesn't help at all with the Mac version.

3. Syclopse

Syclopse .

4. vexatious

vexatious Rising Member

Wow that might be it! Looks real. Thanks Syclopse. Never seen that on Ebay. I wonder... Description doesn't state revision or if patch is included. The hard part about proving it's real is the fact it was originally on CDrs. It's a little different compared to the v1.1 catalogue.

Going to provide backup of pics just in case...:

Back of disc
    [​IMG]

Front of disc (01 of 02)
    [​IMG]

Front of disc (02 of 02)
    [​IMG]

5. davesandell

davesandell Active Member

Certainly a Kodak CD-R like that would be of the correct vintage....
    I was burning on Gold Ultimas back then.....

6. vexatious

vexatious Rising Member

Thanks for the heads-up davesandell. Not to confuse the thread but on my end blue TDK cdrs were usually in hand. Forgot speed rating but were definitely blue until around 2003 when the TDKs appeared green. Older blue ones usually had much better read quality on delicate cdrom drives; green ones usually gave lots of C1 errors under "Nero Drive Speed" unless I used a high quality CD/DVD drive. Ironically some of my blue TDK cdrs had rotted within 3-5 years so kind of a bummer.

7. Durandal

Durandal Spirited Member

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  8. vexatious

vexatious Rising Member

Didn't notice any boxes said "Evaluation Version" like on picture you posted. I did purchase a newer Windows catalog which looked almost exactly like that box but don't remember it saying "Evaluation Version".

Aren't all boxed catalogs full versions?

9. Tyree_Cooper

Tyree_Cooper Peppy Member

That sticker says "Evaluation Copy Not For Resale", so it's almost surely the same as retail, and that copy was reserved for use in trade shows or send to reviewers or other types of promo usage.

That phot is not mine :)

10. vexatious

vexatious Rising Member

Historical reasons. Possibly make database of all known files from discs (e.g.: checksums, file types, size, names, etc), part numbers, place of manufacture, etc.

If code was found, wonder what AaronGiles and other team members would think about leaking it to the internet...? Code to "Connectix Virtual PC" would be interesting too! One of the reasons I still prefer Windows 7 with Virtual PC 2007 over the hypervisor stuff in Windows 8/10. Hate to say it but I like Qemu under Linux too (very advanced with IOMMU and discrete expansion cards).

11. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I've been wanting to install CVGS on my iMac G3 (slot-loading, blueberry) for a while now. I would do it immediately if I could, but I don't have a good place to have to system set up currently. I think I actually had CVGS installed on it at one point - but I ended up installing Panther on it, and I guess when I did that I deleted the OS 9 partition. I just need to do a clean install with partitions for Jaguar or Panther and OS 9. The other reason I'd like to install OS 9 on it is so I could run other OS 9 games on it, like Starcraft.

12. Syclopse

Syclopse .

13. vexatious

vexatious Rising Member