Anyone here do DC dev using KOS?

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by AntiPasta, Jan 24, 2005.

1. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Hi,

I've decided to try a bit of DC development using a coders' cable and homebrew tools. After giving up on getting it running on Linux I found some guide about setting GCC up on Win32 and Dev-C++, which worked, kind of. After a lot of messing around I managed to compile some code of my own, despite the fact that the KOS documentation is older than the latest KOS version itself and several things dont match up any more.

Anyhow, I'll cut short on my rant, I want to include some routines I wrote in SH4 assembly in my program. I tried using inline assembly using the asm() construct but it won't swallow most of my code and seems to use a different syntax than Hitachi themselves. Note that my code compiles perfectly with sh-elf-as! So I'd like to assemble my .S file into an object file linkable to my Dev-C++ project... but what output format should I choose? And how do I tell Dev-C++ to link this file?

Or alternatively, can somebody point me to the most "alive" DC dev forum at the moment?

Thanks in advance.

2. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

I usually code for the Dreamcast using KOS, but I can't help you with the asm part. Anyway, you can check de development board on Dcemulation.com, there are some nice fellows there...

PD

3. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Thanks. What library do you use for graphics?

4. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

I use the library at the Kent Institute of Art and Design - they have some great books on graphics there ;-)

:smt043

5. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

I use KOS own PVR functions, SDL is a goot option too but you have to take care with the memory leaks :)

PD

6. Xylene

Xylene Guest

Go on IRC to irc.freenode.net #dreamcastdev. BlueCrab and MrSiggler are both talented coders who are there all the time and would probably be able to help you.

7. AntiPasta

AntiPasta Guest

Thanks for your help guys! I didn't know KOS had that many PVR functions and I'll be sure to stop by at the IRC!