Anyone have a dedicated Emulator PC? (Video of mine inside)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by urbangangsta101, Aug 9, 2012.

1. CrAzY

CrAzY SNES4LIFE

SNES wise

-ZSNES
    -BSNES
    -SNES9x

All really superb. It just boils down to the preference of the user after that.

ZSNES will always be my favorite. Even though I see why people would lap up 9x first, ZSNES has a clean interface.
    BSNES has always seem to pride it's self on more "accurate" emulation, which results in a slight performance hit, but nothing big nowadays.

As for NES, I have only used a couple, and I stick with NEStopia, it does all I really could need it to.

A dedicate emulator lap top sounds pretty sweet, envious of some of you's. :biggrin-new:

2. urbangangsta101

urbangangsta101 Spirited Member

The emulators i use are:

Mega-Drive/Genesis, MasterSystem, Game Gear, Sega Mega-CD, 32X = Kega Fusion (HQ2X filter for that 'HD' look, also make the Config file Read-Only after setting everything up. This stops Player 2's controls from resetting to defaults if you run the Emu without a second controller paired up/connected.)

Super Nintendo SNES = ZSNES (Make sure you edit the config and enable the 5 second save delay, otherwise your native saves won't work when you exit the emulator using the front end)

Sony PlayStation = pSX (Most authentic looking PS1 emulator IMO with excellent compatibility, also allows you to load images directly. Make sure you set the config to Read-Only for the same reason as Kega Fusion above. I also make a shortcut to the pSX.exe in the 'Batch Files' section on Maximus Arcade so i can launch the emulator without a game and manage saves through the BIOS. Maximus arcade needs the %file -f command to be set to make the emulator go fullscreen on launch)

Arcade/Neo-Geo = MAMEUI32/64 (I usually set the TAB menu to open by clicking down on the right stick on the 360 controller so it's easy to configure controls. Also tell Maximus to ignore non-working games. I recently also started to use a custom version of MAMEUI that doesn't have a splash/nag screen. Point the Neo-Geo section on Maximus to the same MAMEUI.EXE and ROM set, it will only show the Neo-Geo sets! Don't use any screen streaching options for the video or older vertical games will look arse)

Laserdisc = Daphne (Bit of a pain to set up. Make sure you switch off Auto Downloading in Daphne when the Front End is all configured, otherwise launching games won't work so smoothly. Also, the controls need to be set for each game.)

CAPCOM Play System 3/Sega Model 2 = CPS3 Emulator and Model 2 Emulator (Both quite simular to configure. You have to set controls for each game. I use a simple 2x filter for CPS3 and no filters for Model 2. CPS3 also has a hidden option for VSYNC in the config file that can be switched on. The Model 2 emulator has a hidden option in the config file for enabling XInput, allowing you to map Accelerate/Brake to the triggers on your 360 pad.)

PC-Engine = Magic-Engine (Great emulator, runs everything perfect. I usually enable all filter options on the video settings as it makes it look like a HQ2X Filter)

Game Boy/Color/Advance = VisualBoyAdvance-M (Get it from EmuCR, it's an updated version of the original VBA and runs much faster. Don't enable any filters if you have a slower PC or some GBA games will run like a slide show. Also set the fullscreen video mode and then Alt+F4 out of the emulator. When you run it next, it will automatically be in fullscreen mode - you want it like this to work in the Front End!)

Neo-Geo Pocket = NeoPop (Not much to configure, do the same Fullscreen/Alt+F4 trick as described above for GameBoy. Set the frameskip to 1 if your system is slow)

Nintendo Entertainment System NES = Fceux SVN (Get it from EmuCR again, great emulator! You can enable HQ2X filters and crop the screen so that you don't any glitches that exsist on the original hardware. Also set it to go into fullscreen after loading a game)

Don't think i missed anything, that should put most people on the right track!

3. Meringues

Meringues <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

I'm trying to set the rest of the emulators up with a hangover, having a bit of a problem with the n64, what emu/plugin do you use, when I try to run mario it doesn't look like yours in the video

EDIT: it's cool, I've got it sorted!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  4. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

Thanks guys, guess Nestopia's still cool or I could switch to Fceux. I looked at Maximus Arcade, but $25 seems a little steep for the full version. That's like...4 cheap Steam games.

5. Meringues

I'm giving the trial a whirl, loving it so far (maximus arcade)

6. urbangangsta101

Maximus is expensive, and the dev has pretty much given up on it. Not sure if he still sends out activation codes....... if you get what im saying....not suggesting anything :smile-new:

I use Project 64 1.6 for Nintendo 64, standard settings with NRAGE input plugin

7. SuperGrafx

SuperGrafx Guest

wow guys. I had no idea emulation technology has evolved to this point. Definitely liking the sound of using one of these front end apps to play on my HDTV.

8. urbangangsta101

Also, i forgot to add....

Use Windows XP. It's perfect for this kind of system. Also run it through nLite and remove all un-needed Windows bloat (Movie Maker, Sound Effects, Extra themes etc....) I removed so much from my Windows XP, it was down to a 150mb ISO, booted very fast!

After you have your Front-End and Emulators configured, use a free program called InstantSheller to 'hide' Windows. You just run it once, tell it what program to load on boot (Maximus Arcade) and select a Windows Boot/Loading image. The rest is done for you (It defaults to hiding taskbars, logins, Windows theme & sounds etc...) Just reboot and enjoy!

9. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

Ootake -- easily the best PCE emulator at the moment.

10. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Is it better than Linux offerings like Mednafen? I don't know if they make a version for WinXP, but on Linux it seems to be one of the more popular PCE emulators.

11. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Thanks for the suggestion. Does it need extra software to load isos?

12. Meringues

Im gonna use that InstantSheller thing once I get it how I want it, quick question, how do I get the PS1 emulator to go full screen, I put -f but then it only runs into bios

13. urbangangsta101

You need to put

%File -f

Might have the percentage sign at the wrong end of the word 'file', try other end if it doesn't work

Will upload some more tips later

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  14. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Lemon Party Organizer and Promoter

I have one, but no pictures. On paper, it's not that great. A shuttle PC. However, it's got an arcade VGA in it, hooked up to an arcade monitor (in a brown box). Great for the oldies but goodies. Now, to just turn it on.

15. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

I used to. Thinking about building another MAME cabinet.

16. Motwera

Motwera Member

You know, this PC is not just really for emulators, its also for some AAA games that you can play decently :)

17. Calpis

Calpis Champion of the Forum

I haven't tried Mednafen for a while, but it's certainly easier to use than Mednafen. Looking quickly at both sources it appears that Ootake is lower level than Mednafen, and it looks more accurate, but it's more bloated from useless settings creep (the source is nearly 2 MiB!).

A virtual CDROM tool.

18. urbangangsta101

Yakumo, did you make any icons for Maximus? I would love some alternitive system icons for Mame, Model 2, Daphne, Batch Files, CPS3 and Ultra 64!

Here are some PC Games that i have tested and work great with the Front-End:

MUGEN Games! I have an awesome Everything Vs Everything version with SF, MK and SNK fighters!

Also

This guy made a MUGEN version of Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star) that is totally awesome! Plays just like the original
    http://lordmikehnk.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/hokuto-no-ken-mugen-10-version-updated.html

(You need to use the TASKKILL command (make a batch file) to exit MUGEN games correctly on Maximus, just tell it to run the batch on exit.)

Streets of Rage Remake FINAL is always good! and works perfectly with the front-end. It even auto-saves on exit and re-loads your save on launch, no extra configuration required!

PC Versions of:
    - Outrun Coast 2 Coast
    - Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition
    - PC Metal Slug Collection (for MS6!)
    - Raiden III PC
    - Geometry Wars

If you have a PC lightgun (Reccomend: http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/aimtraklightgun.htm)
    - House of the Dead 1,2 & 3 PC Versions
    - American laser Games PC Versions

19. DefectX11

DefectX11 Familiar Face

I plan on using a very small dual core board I bought for a dedicated emulator machine. It can do N64 perfectly with enhancements, and can do some GC games.

For non-dedicated machines, I just run them off an iMac. I have no complaints, partially because it's one of the few pre-builts that come with bluetooth.

20. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Nah, I tried it out but didn't like it because it doesn't work with Japanese emulators for things such as the PC98, X68000 and so on. Plus it is quite expensive to buy after the trial.