Any unleaked Dreamcast games in circulation?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by americandad, Aug 8, 2015.

1. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

No idea

I'm aware, I just wanted to quickly share that link when I read JSRF.

My apologies in advance.

2. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

No apologies needed, I love anything jsr related. Was kind of hoping to be wrong lol

3. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

I'm kind of puzzled that all the text on the JSR disc is in English? Surely things like the number (12) and other smaller details would be in Japanese. It was a Japanese game destined for the Tokyo Game Show.

Is it just me?

4. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

@arnoldlayne Lots gets written in English. Not unusual.

5. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Actually back in the day, and most likely this is still the case, it's not uncommon for publishers to send TGS/E3 (etc.) builds to media outlets. So this particular JSR TGS build might have been intended for a western media outlet for preview, thus explaining the western writing on it.

6. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Thanks, I just thought it was a bit odd - I guess not :)

Any ideas on what might be different to the retail build?

7. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

americandad likes this.
  8. unnamed

unnamed Newly Registered

A close childhood friend of mine had at one point received a GD-R of Rollercoaster Tycoon in the box of a DC controller he bought off of eBay. Has this been leaked yet? I've lost touch with him, but I might be able to track him down. We had no idea how to boot it at the time. I know he owns a BBA as well if that helps.

9. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

We could assist him in dumping it if he's interested. AFAIK it's not been released. I never heard of it myself.

10. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Neither have I. Quite interesting. I don't remember this popping up in any way.
    That would be awesome of you. Hopefully that wouldn't be too awkward. Also I really shouldn't take claims like this at face value given some of the garbage that's happened, but I just can't be cynical when it comes to stuff like this.

11. Dreamcubefan

Dreamcubefan Member

12. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Is it time to panic?

13. LD

LD Peppy Member

Regarding DC Croc 2, Jez San talking to Gamespot:

'JS: We developed Red Dog for the DC, but we're not working on any other DC games at this time. And no, we do not intend to develop more for the DC, as there is little or no publisher interest in doing so. Even the staunch DC supporters have stopped. As a developer, we know the machine intimately and would love to continue, but without publisher support, the format is doomed.
    Croc 2 isn't being developed on the DC, sorry. It was canned because there was discussion as to how economic it would be to produce a PC port versus a new game engine. We are a cross platform company, but we are not developing any more Dreamcast games. [The primary reason is] because of how dismally the system has done, and particularly how badly our game Red Dog was marketed by Sega.'

What Jez NEGLECTED to say was:Red Dog was sent to UK Press for review, got torn apart, Jez+Team tweaked it, sent it out for re-review, where it was torn apart again.

But all Sega's fault, eh Jez? Tsk.

14. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Sounds like Jez can't admit red dog is a pretty shitty game.

DSwizzy145, LD and Esppiral like this.
  15. LD

LD Peppy Member

Yeah, he can be something of an 'odd one' in interviews......

Whilst i've been lucky enough to speak to several ex-employees of Argonaut regarding released and unreleased titles and what became of...and they have been very open with replies and admitted games were canned because/reworked numerous times, with Red Dog Jez seems to want history to either forget the whole re-working before re-reviewing saga or at very leart for someone else to take the hit.

He went a bit 'odd' in a recent interview with Retro Gamer Magazine slagging off the Mega Drive/Genesis as a 2D only box...which was a bit bloody daft as it'd seen conversions of F-15 Strike Eagle 2, Mig-29 etc from the ST/Amiga, had same 68000 CPU, plus you'd games like Hard Drivin, Block Out, F-22, LHX Attack Chopper etc so it was doing polygon 3D long before SVP powered Virtua Racing.......

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  16. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Sounds like Jez is just becoming a grumpy old git :) Slagging the Mega Drive saying it was only a 2D box is stupid. As you mentioned there were many 3D games on it without any extra processor chips. Many of them ran well for the time.

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  17. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

plus many 2D games featured 3d graphics in bossfights/levels/other stuff or even whole levels. zero tolerance for one, toy story, alien soldier, dynamite headdy, mickey mania, panorama cotton etc.

this is all way off topic though >_<

18. LD

LD Peppy Member

Over the years i've read that DC Black And White (Lionhead) was canned because Sega had pulled the plug on the platform, with Lionhead's Pete Hawley saying it was a good platform to work on and Sega's 3rd party support was excellent to Peter Molyneux saying it'd simply taken too long to convert to the DC and Lionhead had'nt gotten very far with it, when publishers started to drop support for the Dreamcast.

Factor those comments in with claims Sega themselves dropped support for the game as it was taking far too long to appear...

19. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

I loved Red Dog. Great game, especially the multiplayer.

20. Fudge

Fudge Spirited Member

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, if it does exist, was not ported by Treyarch. I spoke to former studio member and he had this to say about it.

[MODERATOR NOTE: REMOVED PRIVATE E-MAIL ADDRESS]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2016