Any unleaked Dreamcast games in circulation?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by americandad, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Gunvalkyrie definitely existed, as Smilebit released a trailer video of the Dreamcast version (which I seem to recall featured Azel's theme from Panzer Dragoon Saga as placeholder music) online back in the day. As for Worms Pinball, a friend whose brother worked at Team 17 offered me this years ago, but in my infinite wisdom - and a lack of interest* in this title - I turned it down for a late prototype of Worms Armageddon, which I've since sold on. I can only begin to imagine how many cancelled projects may still partly be on the hard drives of development kits, especially when you consider how easy PC ports supposedly were through use of Windows CE.

Finally, my understanding is that the 3-in-1 compilation including Jambo! Safari, Brave Firefighters and Emergency Call Ambulance would have been called the Real Life Career Series, but never passed the conceptual stage, supposedly because initial technical research concluded the Hikaru board used for Brave Firefighters meant any conversion for the Dreamcast would require such downgrading that the fire or water aspects may not be possible to accurately reproduce on far weaker hardware. Didn't Sega only create this system in the first place because NAOMI wasn't able to handle the complex transparent effects needed for this particular game?

*I should probably confess to not being the biggest fan of pinball games, and to prove this, I previously had the chance to own a Saturn prototype so outside my taste range that I can't even correctly remember its name... I know it was published by Empire because I still have the business card of my old contact there, so this may have been Pro Pinball: The Web, but don't quote me!

P.S. Does anyone know more about the Japanese final disc of Metropolis Street Racer, and whether this would have included the replay function taken out of all other versions? I once read that Bizarre Creations were supposedly trying to still get this working until the very last minute, which is why it was seen in previews and even review copies given to journalists.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    xaeroxcore and americandad like this.
  2. Tomleecee

Tomleecee Spirited Member

3. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Very impressive :)

This one was on the rumored list for years, nice to get confirmation that it does exist! The game certainly looks like it had potential - but it was too late in the Dreamcast's lifespan, I guess?

The end quote is also intriguing:

"Let it be known that the anonymous benefactor who allowed me to sample this game also had a lot more stuff to show me. And I was allowed to take footage. Think you've seen everything the Dreamcast has to offer? Think again! Over the next couple of weeks The Dreamcast Junkyard will be bringing you video of unreleased Dreamcast games you've never even heard of. Watch this space..."

Even after all this time the Dreamcast throws up some great surprises, excellent detective work :)

4. Tomleecee

Hey, thanks for replying! Yes, I saw a lot more than McRae - some stuff I don't even know if it has/had a name. Got great footage and pics though, can't wait to post it all.

Esppiral, Anthony817 and xaeroxcore like this.
  5. wombat

wombat SEGA!

The suspense is killing me, very curious to see which unreleased and unknown games you were able to tinker with!

6. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

This is awesome, definitely something to look forward too for the next few weeks =D Thanks for braving the heavy traffic for us!

7. spinksy

spinksy Peppy Member

Even in late 2015 the Dreamcast is still an absolute gem - love seeing more unreleased stuff and the fact theres more is awesome!

Esppiral likes this.
  8. Tomleecee

9. xaeroxcore

xaeroxcore Rapidly Rising Member

Looks good, keeping in mind it was goingto be a 32 bit port....Better than the average 32 ports-crossgen games on DC....It would be an interesting addition to the DC catalogue...Hope someday we will be able to play it on our Dreamcast.

10. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

11. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Many thanks for sharing :)

Again, kind of surprised it got so far along and then canned (like a lot of the unreleased DC games)

12. shenmue19

shenmue19 Member

Is it possible that Yakuza may have existed on DC at some point?

13. pato

pato Resolute Member

99.9% unlikely.

14. Esppiral

Esppiral Enthusiastic Member

Maybe planned at some point, and then moved to ps2

15. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

I'd be very, VERY surprised if the original Yakuza was ever in even the planning stages for the Dreamcast... Why would Sega need a poor man's Shenmue* on their console when they had the real thing? I wouldn't be shocked if this only came to exist at all because of Microsoft having exclusive rights to Shenmue II, with the company wanting to give Sony another similar title.

*As much of a fanatic as I am when it comes to Yu Suzuki's series, I actually liked the first Yakuza on PS2, but there's no denying it's merely a substitute. I would have said it was a lower budget take on the same concept, though I'm not actually sure of this - I seem to recall some of the English voice cast being quite high profile actors, so I'm guessing their pay reflected such status.

MBMM likes this.
  16. LD

LD Peppy Member

Hello :)

I've been an active researcher for various websites/digital publications etc these past few months (ST Gamer/GTW/Classic Console Magazine/Unseen64/Grumpy Old Gamers etc etc), chalked up a good few interviews etc....

Vast part of my 'research' was initally on lost Atari related games (A8/ST/7800/Jaguar etc), but i have started to widen my search onto other formats.....

Thought i'd share a few Dreamcast related finds on here:

I contacted Ian Baverstock (Glass Ghost games) and asked what happened to the DC version of 'Jump Runner', he was kind enough to inform me the DC game was never completed and the PC version was released as Halcyon Sun after some significant changes.

During my interview with Paul Carruthers, i asked about the annouced conversion of Turok to the Dreamcast, this he told me, was never even started....

If i get any future finds, i'll share them on here.

17. LD

LD Peppy Member

Bugger :) Meant to add earlier, Edge dod an article previewing PS2 Shinobi, games creator mentioned it was originally Planned For Dreamcast, but never said anything about work actually starting on it.

I do have a question 'out' regarding claims of a certain PS2 title headed for Dc and Xbox, but until i get a reply, don't want to raise any hopes.Been let down before.

UPDATE:Info just in....

Any claims of Core design's Lost Eden being started on Dreamcast or Xbox are false.Just had email direct from PS2 coder.

Safe to say they did'nt have a lot of commercial love for the platform as soon as they sawit struggling at retail.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    americandad and Esppiral like this.
  18. SiZiOUS

SiZiOUS Spirited Member

There is Combat Flight Simulator that was found on a Katana Dev.Box here in AG.

And I know that isn't a unreleased game but, I found on eBay just now... Gundam GD-R... I don't know if it's a fake or not...

Edit: Sorry there are references to CFS already in that thread here

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
    americandad likes this.
  19. Tomleecee

20. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

You got a bba or a serial sd-card? I can assist with the dumping and selfbooting.