Any unleaked Dreamcast games in circulation?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by americandad, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Tomleecee

Tomleecee Spirited Member

True :)

2. pato

pato Resolute Member

GTA 3 on DC? Never happenned to what I think, at least this is what I recall, there was those rumors of the DC lacking enough ram to the GD-ROM lacking space, no official announcement was ever made.

If anything was developed, was likely before sony deal, but according to Gouranga GTA 3 was planned for the Xbox in February 2001, which means that sony deal was sometime after this news, but at this point the DC was already dead.

The only hope we have is that during GTA 2 conversion process is that they might have tested any kind of WIPs on the DC.

3. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

I'm honestly surprised we haven't yet seen anyone try converting GTA III to the Dreamcast or at least creating something similar enough, especially when you consider how easy development for this system supposedly is. While the lack of VRAM may have been an issue for Rockstar, I can't imagine the GD-ROM causing too many problems, as the PSP installments were close in size to what Sega's console was able to store. More than anything, wasn't a lot of the disc space taken up with audio files as opposed to visual assets?

DSwizzy145 and pato like this.
  4. Esppiral

Esppiral Enthusiastic Member

GTA III ist around 700mb iirc at least on Xbox.

pato likes this.
  5. pato

pato Resolute Member

This is what I think, GD wouldn't be much of a issue, maybe it was RAM or the fact that by the time it was unveiled the console was nearing it's death announcement and Rockstar had developed on PS2 as the main platform.

Same with the Windows version, but I remember seeing 4gb of size in PS2 version, maybe a huge dummy file?

6. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Yes, I remember it's just a huge dummy file - GTA3 on PS2 is somewhere between 700mb and 1gb

pato likes this.
  7. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

I think the bigger problem lies in the bad performance renderware has on the Dreamcast. The two renderware 3 games on the Dreamcast show bad performance. I once talked to the guy who wrote the renderware tech manual. He left after writing it but he theorized they didn't tailered to the DC 100%.

8. MetalliC

MetalliC Spirited Member

is there any really trustworthy information about DC GTA3 ?
    as I've heard - it is almost always a marketing or politics question. if publisher want the game released for some hardware and investing money in it - it will be developed, no matter what target platform tech specs or limitations is.

you want Assassin's Creed game for J2ME potato-phone ? - no problemo :)
    so, that "Dreamcast GD disc size is a problem" looks like a joke.

9. LuizNai

LuizNai Robust Member

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  10. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

LuizNai likes this.
  11. LuizNai

LuizNai Robust Member

Yes, it doesn't have the multiplayer in the game, however the online DLL could be in the files. We need this GDI image.

12. saibot_20194

saibot_20194 Spirited Member

I hope this guy is kind enough to share this piece of history...

13. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

That was my brother, possibly. He was working on a Russian game called 'Allods' some time in the 1990s - A London based developer had bought the rights and I think they were trying to localise it. My memory is fuzzy here. They were using Renderware and as they got further along with the project he kept getting bothered by the fact that there really was very little documentation for developers. So, he called them and offered to write the manual and they accepted. I think he was there for a few years, certainly after the take-over by EA but not much longer...

Renderware was actually based (right at the very start) on a 3D engine for a submarine game written by his secondary school friend...

I did get a free copy of Trickstyle, it's just a shame the game was terrible :)

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  14. -=FamilyGuy=-

It is the coolest looking shitty game there is though. To my 10 years old self anyway.

arnoldlayne likes this.
  15. accel99

accel99 Spirited Member

Then it was most likely your brother. It was probably more than 5-7 years ago , I don't even remember how but I tracked him to forum where I pmed asking about renderware on the dc. We had short chat. Can't even remember the forum to be honest. Surprised he even responded to me.

Hey I like trickstyle but that frame rate, yikes.

16. LuizNai

LuizNai Robust Member

More updates about the Half Life:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. -=FamilyGuy=-

He should use dcsdrip instead of dreamshell to rip the disc, he can launch dcsdrip from dreamshell.

LuizNai likes this.
  18. LuizNai

LuizNai Robust Member

Ill tell him about it! Thanks bro

good and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  19. shenmue19

shenmue19 Member

I would like to see if someone could port Yakuza 1&2 to the Dreamcast if possible.

20. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

I wouldn't know where to find the source for this quote so long after the fact, but I vividly remember someone involved with the development of the original Yakuza (perhaps even Toshihiro Nagoshi?) once saying in a UK magazine years ago that this game had only been possible on the PlayStation 2 due to the console's high fill rate, which helped to massively populate the outdoor street areas in particular. I'm fairly sure the same article also mentioned a stage in Virtua Fighter 4 that features large crowds in the background, using this as a further example of the increased capabilities of Sony's latest system over Sega's own platform, which had been since been discontinued.