Any unleaked Dreamcast games in circulation?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by americandad, Aug 8, 2015.

1. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Just revisiting that Take the Bullet video this morning - that would be a great title to see released, it does look very impressive even if the controls seem to need a little tweaking ;)

It's also great to see it running - for a long time it was only screenshots from the now long-gone DreamcastHistory forums. Is there another copy in the wild, or are they both the same person?

(yes, I know the video was posted a long time ago!)

Never seen that promo poster before - and most intrigued about 'Shrapnel' - what on earth was that?!

My memory's fuzzy - but wasn't 'Blade Masters' in one of those photos of the Sega archive (the one with pics of filing cabinets and discs stacked on top of each other) I think I'm probably wrong....

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. wombat

wombat SEGA!

You should consider IGP as DNF, it will get released but the timeframe is hard to pin point ;)

3. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I'd also like to see Take The Bullet released but from last I heard the gentleman who owns it would only show videos/pictures. Not sure if that's still the case or if someone around here had any contact with him.

4. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Developed by Visual Concepts if I'm not mistaken...

wombat likes this.
  5. itsthinkingstil

itsthinkingstil Rapidly Rising Member

Tom from DC junkyard said (if i remember correctly) that the current owner of the game has undisclosed reasons for not publicly releasing the game. This could mean Legal or personal reasons but heres hoping he will change his mind someday

6. Laurent

Laurent Spirited Member

Two other games can exist:

Deadly pursuit or World's Scariest Police Chases :

- bankruptcy of the company in 2001

Woody woodpecker:

-you found promo poster of this games whit the dreamcast logo

20180119_064811.png

7. MBMM

I'm just happy that Tom was able to get the footage he did more recently. We had really only seen a couple of screenshots someone took of their TV so seeing the game in action with more fidelity was a treat.

arnoldlayne and wombat like this.
  8. bomb78

bomb78 Rising Member

indeed
    [​IMG]

9. wombat

wombat SEGA!

The PS1 release even features a nice nod to the Dreamcast (fast forward to 06:56), so surely the game was pretty much finished before getting canned.

10. Laurent

Laurent Spirited Member

Maybe a white label like flinstone

11. crissybwoy

crissybwoy Enthusiastic Member

I doubt it. I'd imagine if there was a white label we would have seen it surface by now. GDr possibly...
    There were quite a few of the flintstones white labels, I bought 10 from a seller in Germany once. Only negotiated one of the Halflife Rolling demo though, that one seemed more scarce.

12. MBMM

Are you sure those white swirls are in reference to the DC?

13. Laurent

Laurent Spirited Member

I think a playable build of pso épisode 1 and 2 for dreamcast exist :

- Its 1 years beetween the japanese release of pso v2 and the japanese release on gamecube .Its look like a portage. 1 years of dev is short ( if i remember, it was 3 weeks of public beta on gamecube few month before his release , less of 1 years )
    -during devloppment of pso v2, you can see some artworks of the new caracter you can found in pso ep1 and 2

14. itsthinkingstil

That would be amazing but i sadly doubt any build exits out there.
    Ver 1 was released 1 week in the US before the public discontinuation Of the DC , i think its amazing ver 2 even came out honestly

I could be totally wrong but i doubt SOJ would put a bunch of more money into a major title

15. Laurent

Laurent Spirited Member

From anonymous source:

To answer your questions; Geist never really got out of the Alpha stage of development. We only ever tested 3 or 4 levels and they were unfinished so the leaked version is probably as good as it gets for that one.

Unfortunately I left Sega in early 2000 so I’m not really sure if games like Gun Valkyrie, monkey ball or HotD3 started their life on DC before being moved to Xbox and GameCube. I never heard anything like that from my friends that did continue to work there past me so if they do exist we know nothing about it unfortunately.

Keep up the good work, sorry I could not be of more help.

From the same source : its a saturn games but its a little bit important :

Yeah I worked as an internal Tester at Sega at their head quarters in Redwood City, CA (We later moved to San Francisco). I did test some unreleased games there. When I started the very first game I was put on was a Dion Sanders football game for Saturn that ended up being cancelled. I also tested a Dreamcast shooter called Geist that was supposed to be like Star Fox 64 but it too ended up being cancelled. I’m sure there were a few more but those I recall best. We did test a few 3rd party games for some companies but I don’t remember the specifics.

As far as differences between the Betas and released versions about 90% of the time it would be bug fixes. Occasionally we would see feature changes from build to build but they tried to get us the games complete with all levels and features and have us report back on what bugs we found.

itsthinkingstil likes this.
  16. itsthinkingstil

I have to Assume that games like Sega GT 2002 and JSRF where fairly far along on the DC as iv heard reports that both where ported to the Xbox in a matter of months

17. wombat

wombat SEGA!

I took the original Dreamcast swirl and positioned (and flipped horizontally) it right above the swirl as seen in the PlayStation version of the game. It's an exact fit, so while I have no official proof of the development team acknowledging it, I'm pretty sure it's a nod to the almighty Dreamcast ;)

[​IMG]

18. slayer2k8

slayer2k8 <B>Site Supporter 2011</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

There were quite a few Sega of Japan developed titles that were either quite far along or finished that didn't get released. I wonder if the changes to HOTD3 meant that the Dreamcast version was scrapped as development was pushed back, and if it would have continued with its cel shaded style would it have seen a release on the system? In regards to the Konami titles like Woody Woodpecker i'm assuming that they were developed by the American side of the company does anyone know when they ceased activity?
    To Laurent i wonder if your contact could confirm if Geist Force was ever developed using the Windows CE tools or just the Sega tools.

19. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

HOTD3 was definitely announced while the Dreamcast was still active, as I recall this (and Jet Set Radio Future plus a sequel to Sega GT) being mentioned in a European promotional leaflet from late 2001. However, the earliest screenshots of the cel-shaded prototype surfaced long after the intended console version had been switched to the Xbox, so I'm guessing the game's original style was carried over from Sega's platform and abandoned later into development.

P.S. I don't remember any mention of Geist Force using the Windows CE OS when members here first tried getting that prototype build working on actual hardware, though there was a lot of a talk regarding Sega's own libraries, including the early "Dragon" toolkit.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  20. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

IIRC some of Geist Force code is so early that it doesn't even use the final versions of the 1st party Sega Libraries, that made it hard to actually selfboot properly. I'd be surprised if it used WinCE at all.