Any unleaked Dreamcast games in circulation?

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by americandad, Aug 8, 2015.

1. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

I was wondering which unleaked dc titles are known to be out in collector circulation?
    I don't mean things like Half-Life Katana or other titles which have leaked already, in one form or the other.
    Like which prototypes (or completed titles), actually playable, previously unleaked in any form, are known to be in the possesion of collectors?

EDIT:

Confirmed:
    - Heroes III (complete build, unoptimized, uses a complete VMU for 1 save game)
    - Worms Pinball (incomplete)
    - Internet Game Park / IGP (complete build)
    - TD Cycles (tech demo)
    - Take the Bullet
    - Dee Dee Planet (complete build)
    - Ecco 2
    - SCUD Race (tech demo)
    - Commandos 2

Unconfirmed
    - English localisation of 'Shanghai Dynasty'
    - Croc: Legend Of The Gobbos
    - Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
    - Black & White
    - Castlevania

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  2. wombat

wombat SEGA!

From the top of my head;

- Heroes III (complete build, unoptimized, uses a complete VMU for 1 save game)
    - Worms Pinball (incomplete)
    - Internet Game Park / IGP (complete build)
    - TD Cycles (tech demo)
    - Take the Bullet
    - Dee Dee Planet (complete build)

americandad likes this.
  3. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Yep that about covers it, although Im not sure if TtB or DDP were confirmed in collectors hands beyond the rumors.

americandad likes this.
  4. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Dee Dee Planet is in the hands of a fellow member / ex-employee who has not been on these forums for quite some time now. Take the Bullet is in the hands of a well known Dreamcast collector, also present on this very board.

sof and americandad like this.
  5. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Thanks for the quick and informative response!
    What's IGP?
    Also I should rephrase.
    What are the known, unleaked but playable titles, period. Not necesseraliy in collectors hands.

6. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Internet Game Park (IGP) is a collection of parlor games with online play, developed by Visual Concepts and originally planned to be released as a freebee.

7. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I'm surprised nobody though of Ecco2, a personal graal of mine.

americandad likes this.
  8. wombat

wombat SEGA!

Dang, how could I have forgotten about mentioning that one! I sure hope more title's will surface eventually, long live the Dreamcast!

9. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

No way, Heroes 3 on Dreamcast!? Damn, wish they did release just so I could still play it..my PC version stopped playing once I upgraded to Windows 7.

10. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

An advanced build of Take The Bullet is definitely in the hands of a private collector, and I once heard there were plans to try and make a playable version of SCUD Race using the various Katana development kit tech demos, but I've not seen any progress on this in quite a while...

11. pato

pato Resolute Member

I've contacted once one of the developers, he said that he still had the assets, and the the protagonist used the face of Steve McQueen with the family authorization.

About Scud Race, Ryo have the tech demo that Jolly Roger showed once and it was running in a DC emulator.

Also, I recall that a few files from the Katana SDK R10-11 have info over steering controls.

12. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

One title I often forget about (when these topics rear their head...) is a possible English localisation of 'Shanghai Dynasty' - iirc, a collector (almost certainly BuyAtari) had a GDR for sale way back when - although it was never actually confirmed to be an English translation, so it may well have been a GDR of the standard Japanese release.

13. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  14. cammers1995

cammers1995 Active Member

You can't find much on this, and I don't know how true it is, but someone on Unseen64 claims they have a playable port of Croc: Legend Of The Gobbos that was supposed to be ported due to Croc 2 coming to Dreamcast instead of Saturn. (Croc 1 hit saturn, and even advertised Croc 2 for saturn but it never happened). So I am told they brought the series to Dreamcast but only 2 got released.

15. xaeroxcore

xaeroxcore Rapidly Rising Member

Any info about Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 2. This site proves that there is a beta somewhere http://thelostworlds.net/SR2/Soul_Reaver_2_for_the_Sega_Dreamcast.html)??

By the way, in the spanish Dreamcast web, Dreamcast.es, there is this interview of 2008 with some former member of Pyro Studios, who claims that there must be a back up in the dev kit of the studio of the unfinished Commandos 2 beta on DreamCast. http://www.dreamcast.es/articles.php?article_id=219 (interview is in spanish)
    Did somebody knows anything about this? i mean..may be some private collector would have this on his hands.

Also, somebody has any info about DC versions of Virtua Fighter 4, Gunvalkyrie, Soul Calibur 2, Black and White, Shinobi, Colin McRae Rally 2, Project Eden? Or those where just announced, but cancelled before starting develop process (excepting Gunvalkyrie, that is supossed to have DC built material).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  16. pato

pato Resolute Member

Don't know if VF4 ever had started development on DC, as it was released first on arcade when the DC being phased out in 2001.

For Black and White there is a prototype Rom for GBA, and there was a Playstation version being worked, there was even videos of it, I believe that the DC version was already in a playable state.

Soul Calibur was released in mid 2002, this history of having an Dreamcast build at one point is probably fake, unless they did some test builds right before sega killed it. Don't know about Project Eden, it was announced at mid to late 2000, so there might be an build...

17. arnoldlayne

There's also the 'Far Nation' mystery - it's in the photos of discs in the SEGA US offices posted here years ago.

I don't think either Monkfish or Donny (former Sega employees who posted here, briefly) could shed any light on what those discs were doing there - or the project itself.

What was 'Far Nation'?

18. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Well you've certainly piqued my interest. I've never heard anything about this.

19. xaeroxcore

xaeroxcore Rapidly Rising Member

The few info available on the web suggest it´s a role game that was in development around 2000.

20. arnoldlayne

Well, there are discs labelled 'Far Nation' in the photo so there's got to be 'something' on the discs.

I believe what little we know about it is that it's possibly an online RPG - Can anyone figure out which studio developed it? That might offer us the best lead to find someone who worked on it.