Any interest in the source for the Marathon Trilogy port for DC to add controller and saves?

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Anthony817, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Hey guys, I was just given some very difficult to find source code to Bero's Dreamcast port of Aleph One, the source port of Bungee's first FPS trilogy on Macintosh computers. Basically their precursor to, and inspiration for Halo.

If anybody doesn't know much about the game you can check it out here.

The old Dreamcast port had ONLY keyboard support, no mouse, controller or saves were working. The port could be perfect with the addition of these features. About 10 years ago I asked people at the Aleph One forums how possible it would be to add controller support to it, and they said the plugin already existed in the latest versions of the engine on PC, so should be easily portable to DC.

I know absolutely fuckall about coding ports. I am only a lowly Battlefield 2 modder on PC. But, if anybody wants to look into the feasibility of perfecting Bungee's amazing 90's precursor to Halo on the Dreamcast, you can check out the full source here and the version of SDL used to port it.

https://mega.nz/#!HRsxmIwb!GKlRQS7o9rsRo_4Thj-3Tc5zOV9DuS-0d0U_2iv8_SQ

Mrneo240, darcagn, Arcadia and 4 others like this.
  2. fafadou

fafadou Gutsy Member

This is a great project !
    I didn't find how to change the button of sub weapon for hydra castle ^^ So I think I can't help unfortunnately...

Maybe if you patch the ip.bin in a first time but probably not enough ?

3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Unfortunately I don't think there was any analog joystick support coded in. Beyond the game select menu, there is no other functionality of the controller inside the game, so you are forced to use the keyboard to play. I have never been good at playing FPS games with a keyboard alone. So I think they only way to do this properly is with the source code.

It is as bare-bones PC port as was possible. However the in game speed was great, and I never saw any graphical errors, so the game is pretty much complete insofar as the porting and engine aspects running well.

4. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

If you can find for me all the necessary prerequisites as mentioned in the readme (specific version of the gcc compiler, OpenGL libraries, data, etc.) I am pretty sure I can do this.

My issue is only time, of which I do not have much... so this would likely take a long time for me to do.

Jollyroger

Anthony817 likes this.
  5. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

hmmm lets collab. im rewriting a new glquake port and maybe we could help each other?

fafadou, TerdFerguson and Anthony817 like this.
  6. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Ok I will see if the guy that shared the source with me can also share Bero's old modded version of KOS. Thanks for showing interest in this guys. This was always the port I felt really didn't get much love. Really takes the fun out of playing it with keyboard, and not everybody has that peripheral to begin with. So this would open the game up to a much wider audience. Hell, even getting mouse support added would be great too.

There is also the nicer HD assets from the XBLA port of Marathon Durandal that would be working in the latest build of Aleph One and included by default. It would be pretty great to see if it is possible to get those assets working on the DC as well, but if not possible due to memory limitations completely understandable.

7. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

It's harder but makes more sense to just forward port it

fafadou and Anthony817 like this.
  8. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah maybe so, but just adding the controller support and saves is really all the Aleph One port lacked on DC.

I know a HUGE amazing possibility now would be to add working online multiplayer support to it, that would be fucking epic but maybe pretty difficult. Who knows, maybe Shuouma could help with that aspect afterwards?

And I was told I would have the KOS 1.1.7 Bero used as well as the other stuff sent to me by the end of today. He also said that he could help if you guys have any troubles compiling Bero's stuff, as he used to work with him back in the day.

9. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Ok here are all of the files I was sent as well as other info he had to say about it.

Hopefully this is enough to help you guys out. I know jolly, you said you wanted the gcc toolchain but not sure if he can get that. I will keep speaking with him trying to see if this is possible.

fafadou likes this.
  10. jollyroger

jollyroger Gutsy Member

Works for me, I don't have much time anyway, so I hope I can help to some extent...

Anthony817 likes this.
  11. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Gutsy Member

btw whats possible now with regular KOS 2.0, and some new stuff i wrote with kazade.

Code:
    HaydenKow/mrneo240/NeoDC

nuQuake Alpha 1
    640x480 VGA, Sound and Controller

Code:
    i forgot that video has some missing polys in places, that is actually fixed now and some other little things are as well. 

LuizNai, Anthony817 and jollyroger like this.
  12. Arcadia

Arcadia Robust Member

13. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Finally we get to see their project! Damn that is beautiful. However looking at it, I am 99% sure they aren't targeting mid 90's PC's let alone the DC hardware. I would LOVE for it to be possible to be ported over, even if just using the assets in Quake, but my guess is the geometry is going to seriously tax the system, not to mention the memory limitation with those fully fleshed out large levels.

I would hope to be wrong though as I am completely down for it!

I was also hoping we could get a proper Duke Nukem 3D port as well, so we could get some souce build engine mods on DC or my dream, a proper Blood port based on the Eduke32 called BloodCM, but I am guessing that is way too much to ask. Probably have to go with something more like Chocolate Duke.

Hell, as long as we get this new hardware accelerated version of Quake Neo is working on, and if we can finally get Marathon working with controller and saves, I can die happy!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Arcadia likes this.