any good sega 32x games that are worth checking out

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by thesonygamer3, Sep 1, 2013.

1. momosgarage

momosgarage Peppy Member

Actually my anecdotal observation is very relevant because at the time I lived in a MAJOR metropolitan area, with me and my peers being exactly the demographic that Sega was targeting to buy the Saturn. Also I was in contact with some small local distributors back then who would on occasion sell me some stuff that they could get not rid of, for discount.

A PERFECT example of this is a guy I bought games from for about a decade. He bet BIG on the Saturn and essentially lost his video game distribution business as a result. Around 2003 or 2004 I contacted him out of the blue to see if he had anything and he told me he wasn't in the video game business anymore, but I could come by he warehouse and buy some stuff he had sitting and collecting dust from the late 90's. Guess what that stuff in the warehouse was? Shelves and Shelves of new in the box Saturn Netlink combo packages and piles of the 3-pack Virtua fighter2/Daytona/Virtua Cop. He had NOTHING else, I asked about all the rare games like Panzer Dragoon, X-Men, Guardian Heroes, etc and he said no matter how much he tried back in the day he couldn't get many of those in stock despite them selling well. If they had shipped him those games when the Saturn was new he felt he would not have lost as much money. In contrast he said the 32x was a dodgy thing to carry, but he didn't lose money on it like the Saturn. This should make sense since the 32x sold half as many units as the Saturn in the United States but was only sold for about year as a top retail item, the Saturn in contrast had almost 3 years and only sold double the amount of 32x's. Also the Saturn was not easy to manufacture and never really had a production cost reduction. I can't say for sure with the 32x, but it was certainly cheaper to manufacture than the Saturn and potentially could have had its manufacturing cost reduced unlike the Saturn.

I mention the Sega CD a lot because the 32x and the SegaCD when combined, while not nearly as powerful as the Saturn or Playstation, could have moved entirely to CD format for games with a Ramcart type option for the 32x cart slot. Combine that with the 14 million install base of Genesis users and in hindsight Sega could have easily sold more 32x's than the Saturn, assuming the Saturn was never released stateside. Heck even trying to reduce the cost of the Laseractive would have been a better move for Sega than trying to sell and properly market the Saturn in the United States

The Japanese Saturn Games that we all like today WERE NEVER coming to the USA, that's why I listed the top sellers form 1994 and 1995, it was always going to be USA developers leading the charge, so the Japanese game developers were simply not relevant then like they were in the previous NES era and the later Playstation era.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

It sounds to me like what this distributor says helps my point, that bad management was a big issue. You're right that the Saturn's design was expensive to manufacture. However with success and good management, they certainly could have reduced the cost. Why do you say the Japanese Saturn games were never coming? Capcom was releasing its games until the collapse. If there hadn't been that lack of success in the earlier years, more games would have come over from Japan. In a way, the Saturn was a victim in the US of the mistakes in the past.

What you are suggesting now is absolutely crazy. You think that those 14 million Sega Genesis owners could afford a 32X AND a Sega CD add-on? The cost of those add-on easily puts you into N64 and Playstation range. And you are talking about adding a RAM cartridge on top of that. Then lets talk about the nightmare for many of hooking all these things up. While the Genesis is quite interesting to see with both the CD and 32X, it's a joke to suggest that monster being mainstreamed, to take the place of the Saturn.

Here is my main point. In the period around 92 to 94 Sega was very popular. The Genesis and games were selling well. They were making great money, their marketing was working out great. They managed to actually get more market share than Nintendo for a time. The Saturn could have easily gotten this support too, and been a success. But instead Sega started making mistakes. And the 32X was definitely one of them. Sega had lots of consumers and fans. They were paying attention to the next console that would come from Sega. While they were waiting for the Saturn, Sega releases the 32X. So now some of their consumers instead of spending their limited money on the Saturn platform, they've invested into an upgrade for their old hardware that the company wasn't fully behind. And why? Because the Saturn wasn't going to be out for a little while longer? This is not good because now customers expect this new creation to be supported properly and Sega and 3rd parties didn't have the resources to support it when they knew the Saturn was coming. So they released a system they didn't even really want themselves.

Lets say the 32X had instead been canned by Sega of Japan. That saves Sega's consumers from confusion and spending their money on it rather than the Saturn or Genesis. It saves developers from having to support a go nowhere platform. It saves Sega money. Now just imagine if Sega had approached its 3rd party developers including in America and Europe to give them development support early on with the Saturn. And then *not* tried to beat Sony to market and alienate retailers. If all that happened, Sega would still have been massively popular with people waiting for their next big thing. And developers and retailers would have been there to support the Saturn.

Anyway we can debate this forever. I think proper management and support of the Saturn was the way to go. I don't think trying to get people to buy a $150 addon and a $200 addon makes any sense when they could get a new Saturn for just a bit more, or a Playstation for a bit less.

3. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

Yeah, considering the N64 which was lightyears ahead of the 32X was $199 at launch...it's easy to justify the 32X price in 1994 - but by the time 1995 rolled around it wouldn't have made sense and been stupid 1996.

4. sonicsean89

sonicsean89 Site Soldier

I lived in (until 96) the suburbs of Chicago, and, to this day, I have not once met someone who owned a Tubro-anything. Nor have I met anyone with a 32X or 3DO (other than myself). I agree that EA Sports games not only popularized the sports genre, but we can see now in games like Call of Battlefield: Modern Battlesomething 52X, a set yearly release cycle (though it makes a lot more sense for sports games than shooters). I doubt the 32X could handle 3D well by itself (even with the Genesis drawing backgrounds, as it did in a lot of 32X games), which would have shot Sega in the foot. Maybe it has something to do with how ugly 32 bit 3D games look now, but they were all the rage back then. Crash Bandicoot and Super Mario 64 blew my 5 year old brain.

Agreed, looking back at the post I realized we were talking about two different things. My bad

5. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

The Sega 32X has no 3D accelerator type chip inside of it. All 3D graphics are software rendered by the SH-2 CPUs inside of the machine. You can achieve decent quality 3D graphics but what you see in the existing games and demos is about all it could do, it really couldn't match any of the next generation systems (Saturn, PS, N64). One issue was the 32X was pretty limited on RAM.

Ultimately the way to go was with a new system, aimed at 3D gaming.

6. goldenband

goldenband Spirited Member

To address the title question, as I've said elsewhere, I think the usual assessment of the 32X library is ass-backwards. Many of the acclaimed titles were a huge disappointment for me; I found Blackthorne to be buggy and utterly tedious, Kolibri sloppy and frustrating, and Mortal Kombat II an overrated and butchered port. Meanwhile, I thought some games that take a lot of crap, like Motocross and Metal Head, were actually pretty fun once you get past their quirks (weird control schemes, mainly).

I've beaten those five games, and they're the 32X titles I've played the most, along with Virtua Fighter, Cosmic Carnage, Shadow Squadron, and Space Harrier. Most of the Genesis and Sega CD titles that got 32X "upgrades" are lame, but I would've liked to play the 32X version of Wirehead (a game I liked a lot on the Sega CD). Tempo always strikes me as cluttered and obnoxious whenever I try to play it, but T-Mek and Star Wars seem promising. One of these days I'll figure out how to play Zaxxon, Knuckles Chaotix and DarXide.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  7. jp.

jp. Be Attitude For Gains

I agree with this. As much as I like Kalinske, his idea to turn the Genesis into Voltron was a bit bizarre and had a very small chance at success. If the Sega CD and 32X were crazy cheap it would have made sense, but considering that they cost as much as a system the whole idea was goofy. Had Sega just focused on the Saturn I think they would have been much more successful and we'd all have a system worth playing instead of this Xbox/Playstation/Wii nonsense.

8. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

They thought the cartridge market would live on for a few years, not die of instantly.

32X was supposed to eventually be an entry level system with the premium system being saturn, with dual launches for both formats.

In the era of ONLY snes and genesis it would have worked, but add in Playstation, 3DO and CD32 and it got crowded real fast.

Then the worst case scenario happened.

They were so caught off guard by the power of the playstation they had no ability to compete.

This is like Xbox one coming out, and when released the sony ps4 is a 16 core dual GPU system at the same price as Xbox one.

It was literally the end of their world, from having 1/2 the market to overnight becoming overpriced and unwanted without the ability to
    lower costs.

Sega never recovered, and they didn't have the money to keep dreamcast going.

9. omp

omp Familiar Face

I second Shadow Squadron/Stellar Assault, it's the main 32X game I like to play (when I do play the 32X that is to say).

10. Celine

Celine Gutsy Member

That generation was crazy and very interesting.
    There was so many companies that tried to achieve success especially implementing the CD technology, seriously the list is long (and almost all of them launched in a timespan of 3 years bwtween 1993 and 1996):

Philips: CD-i
    Fujitsu: Marty
    CBM: Amiga CD32
    Panasonic: 3DO
    Atari: Jaguar
    Bandai: Playdia
    NEC: PC-FX
    SNK: Neo Geo CD
    Sega: Saturn
    Sony: PS
    Nintendo: N64

Yet in a matter of a couple of years only Nintendo and Sony remained in the market (by 1997 all of the above except PS and N64 were basically discontinued).

It's simply unthinkable in current days to witness the launch of so many new systems in a span of 3 years.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  11. Paperweight

Paperweight Active Member

I think that spiderman: web of fire is underrated and actually a good game with nice graphics. only part i really hated was the factory level with the recycled vectorman backgrounds... not that it was a bad level but it just seemed tacked on.

Tempo was fun too once you get used to the slowness of the characters movement, i can understand alot of people not giving it a fair shake considering faster moving platformers were more popular at the time.

Never could get into knuckles chaotix though (since it was mentioned), the graphics aren't that impressive, the level designs aren't all that great, and the rubber band mechanism is frustrating to get the hang of when your trying to understand it, and tedious once you do understand it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013