Any Apple Powerbook 5300 owners here?

Discussion in 'Computer Gaming Forum' started by Anthony817, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Anthony817

Anthony817 Resolute Member

Hey guys, so I have this 1995 laptop laying here, and I decided to try and restore it. It is the first PowerPC archetecture laptop, so should be able to handle the mid 90's games from around that time period ok.

This is what they look like.

[​IMG]

I got this from my mothers ex boyfriend, and it was sitting here for about 3 or so years collecting dust. I have been on a Lazy Game Reviews watching binge, so I decided I wanted to get into messing with older computers. So since I had this sitting here, I decided to look into it.

Now those of you that know anything about this model of laptops, knows it was an absolute nightmare. Quality aside, it is still a classic computer I am interested in bringing back to life to play some old Mac games on just for the hell of it. Since it is a tiny laptop, it is perfect for my living arraignments where setting up a whole other dedicated area for another PC is kind of out of the question, so this will suit my needs better than a desktop.

So far I have given it a teardown and tried resoldering the AC adapter port connection, and I also rebuilt the actual plug from the adapter to the laptop, which was a bitch but I got it working. I ordered a pcmcia to sd card adapter so I can put files on it easily from my Windows 10 desktop.

So I am wanting to know, has anybody here owned one of these shitboxes, and what all should I be able to run on it? I heard of people playing Tomb Raider and Marathon on them ok, but not sure of any benchmarks until my sd adapter arrives.

I have the best of the best model. Which is the Powerbook 5300CE, with an 800x600 10.4" color active-matrix display with a 117 MHz PowerPC 603e processor, 48 MB of RAM, and a 1.2 GB hard drive running Mac OS9. I am told 8.6 is the optimal OS for this, as OS9 and 9.1 are kind of pushing what the computer can handle.

Here are the stock specs of one of these models.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook/specs/mac_powerbook5300ce_117.html

Syclopse likes this.
  2. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Enthusiastic Member

get some pippin game play on it :)
    SD pcmcia driver is pain on OS9, if not work , get one CF is better

Anthony817 likes this.
  3. Anthony817

Yeah, checking the specs of it it is actually more powerful than the Pippin, so my idea was to use it as a little gaming system. Actual Pippin games would run on it too? Not that there were very many games for it but that is an interesting idea. I am lucky also it was a somewhat modern design, has a nice track pad on front too, so no need for a mouse. I might eventually get one for it though. Any ideas on decent ADB game pads?

I will need to fully reformat the machine, and I don't own, or want to mess with floppy drives and discs. I also don't own any CF cards or readers. The PCMCIA to SD adapter was super cheap, and I have literally handfuls of SD cards laying around. So SD cards will not work, or it is just a pain to mess with?

4. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Enthusiastic Member

get on pippin joypad, mod it back to ADB ( just pin to pin ) than you can enjoy :)
    use OS9 CD or OS8.6CD you can format HDD and reinstall OS

Anthony817 likes this.
  5. Anthony817

SWEET! I was actually wondering if there was a way to use Pippin controllers on this. Damn I might have to get one now. Also learning that Pippin games will run on this is an awesome bonus. I have always wanted to play Pippin games just to see how they were. These is a bright side to owning this laptop after all then.

I wonder, were any of the Bandai games ever translated then? I need to find some kind of Pippin fan forum or something I suppose.

Also, this PC never had an internal CDRom drive, only thing it has is a floppy drive built in. So the SD adapter was literally my only solution. :/

6. Dandu

Dandu Member

On a PowerBook (or PowerMac), you can launch Pippin games, but not all.

Many games are hybrid, and can work on a Mac, on Pippin (and even on Windows), but many works only on Pippin (like Super Marathon).

For the gamepad, there is many solution. The first is to find a ADB gamepad with the extension for Mac OS. The second is to use a Pippin gamepad (P-ADB) with an adapter (it's passive).