Antipiracy on Super Everdrive?

Discussion in 'Super Everdrive' started by Beegee7730, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Beegee7730

Beegee7730 Member

Hello,
    I have a Super Everdrive and plan to do a playthrough of Earthbound. I was wondering, would the antipiracy measures detect that I am playing it on an Everdrive?
    If so, is there any patch I can add to ensure that it plays normally?
    Many thanks.

2. brainpann

brainpann Site Supporter 2012

3. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

So by the look of that - have the correct region and force sram to 8kb and even clean dumps should work?

4. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Simple test. Load Super Metroid. If it works, you're fine. I'm pretty certain SED supports SRAM size limiting. It's the most common form of copy protection on SNES games. Super Metroid and Killer Instinct will complain immediately if this is wrong. I think Super Mario Allstars might do so too. Earthbound is different obviously.

There is another protection known to be used by two games, Mega Man X and Demon's Crest. It's called ROM mirroring. It exploits how most copiers do not mirror ROM like a real cartridge and triggers undesirable events. In Mega Man X you will lose armor upgrades between stages making the game extremely hard if not impossible to complete. I think randomly you might have to replay the first stage too. In Demon's Crest, one of the bosses has limitless life making you unable to progress through the game any further.

Both games have patches to remove that, useful for emulators and old copiers. The SED shouldn't have this problem either.

You don't have to "force" anything by the way. SED reads the proper SRAM size and sets that. But you can have some fun with that and try setting it to the wrong amount and run Super Metroid or Killer Instinct and you'll see the copy protection message. Try 32kb for both those games and it should trigger.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  5. exdeath

exdeath Rising Member

The biggest fear with Earthbound is the save games being erased.

On SED your SRAM is saved to SD card so it's not a concern. Just reset, and manually reload the SRAM file (don't load another game ROM or it will save over SD with the erased SRAM data). Of course if that were to happen youd have to make the appropriate changes to the ROM image before resuming (eg: you know for sure the DRM was triggered by that point).

SED shouldn't have any DRM problems, as it properly locks ROM and SRAM size, locks ROM as read only, etc, and the game is running off flash ROM instead of SDRAM like the older copiers. SED looks like the real thing. Even if it was necessary, ROM timing and response time can all be controlled and delayed by CPLD to look like a genuine 120ns mask rom and so on.

So AFAIK any game can run 100% stock on SED without patching copy protection.

6. exdeath

exdeath Rising Member

Does SED's CPLD properly ignore the upper address pins and hold them high on the flash? I would think the behavior of the upper address pins to flash is controlled by the CPLD via the ROM size register.

Pretty awesome seeing how simple the SED really is with a modern CPLD compared to the complexity and size of my Double Pro Fighter which doesn't implement many things correctly.

7. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

I'm pretty sure the SED properly simulates ROM mirroring. If the OS and the ROM loaded reside in the same Flash ROM chip which I believe they do, then this must be done.

Another thing is that older copiers do not use "SDRAM". They use DRAM for the memory that is ROM in cartridges, and possible DRAM or maybe more likely SRAM for the small bit of memory usually used for SRAM in cartridges.

The DPF is not as complex as the modern logic chips in these flash carts. Right it does not decode ROM with the proper mirroring effect. Perhaps it saved money, perhaps they didn't think about it. Either way since cracked ROMs existed for the whole 2 games that needed it, it wasn't a big deal.

Modern Flash carts are great compared to the DPF. I like my Double Pro Fighter copier as it is a neat collection piece and would have been awesome to own back in 1994. But these days obviously flash carts using SD and CF cards are so much better. Faster, easier to use, more reliable. And cheaper.

8. Shambler

Shambler Member

As written higher in the thread, there's multiple version of the EarthBound rom out there. I actually hacked the ROM I had to work on PAL, so far that I can tell I haven't tripped the copy protection yet.... I sure hope not ;)