Another Sega CD model 1 mystery.....

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by toto99303, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Arnold101

Arnold101 Active Member

"If it fails, the unit will blink both leds and will open the tray, putting the disc out." Is not my case. seems stucked.
    Do you think i have to pot the laser even if all the audio cd i put are readed instantly? and on the 3 trimmers wich i have to touch?

2. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

I said if it fails. Meaning it found a disc but could not read it. Your case it isn't detecting a disc, right?

3. Arnold101

Arnold101 Active Member

exactly. and not even flash the eject icon in the bios. just nothing

4. l_oliveira

I suggest you get another unit borrowed from someone (PAL one should work too) and test the drive in it. If the drive works fine then you can focus your efforts on the main board for the mega-cd.

5. supersdude1691

supersdude1691 Newly Registered

I don't know if this will fix your issue but I figured I would post this in case it helps someone. I recently fixed a model 2 cd console where a few of the pins on the cartridge slot connecting the genesis to the CD unit had been pushed back out of the connector. When i removed the metal shield around the cartridge slot I could see that some of the pins had been pushed back and didn't line up with the pins around it. By pushing the pins back in and then reinforcing them with some hot glue, the console began to work properly again.

6. somacast

somacast Rapidly Rising Member

well I had an entire year of pain with all types of model 1s, they are reallllly annnnnnnnoyying consoles.

I had exactly the same behavior on one console imported from a cheater in Japan on ebay who sells his failed on repair as (as-is) , it reads everything but not games, changed many drives (not only lens) , but none of them worked, although at least one of them was definitely working on other consoles.

its not the new laser lens definitely, not the drive either.. you are left with motherboard and power board, and I would start with a 100% working power board as those really behave in crazy ways, so test your main board on a fully functional console if possible, and see what comes up.

7. l_oliveira

This "don't read CD-ROMs" issue must be some cut trace on the main board due to corrosion caused by the capacitor leaks. Japanese MD-CD1 units are extremely annoying to fix because the board is coated with copper shielding on top of the solder mask (similar to 2nd rev SNES mainboards at the bottom side) which prevents you from visualizing the traces.

Taijigamer2 likes this.
  8. Arnold101

Arnold101 Active Member

yeah. i hate them. In those type of pcb how you check traces? only touching chip pins? because you can't see traces....

btw i fixed it

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019 at 9:36 PM
    somacast likes this.
  9. l_oliveira

Share with us what was the fault for your board...

somacast likes this.
  10. somacast

somacast Rapidly Rising Member

me too , interested in knowing how