Announcing the 64drive nearing completion

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by marshallh, Dec 2, 2010.

1. link83

link83 Enthusiastic Member

Sorry marshallh, I must have either missed or forgotten this info. Sounds like a neat solution though - no need for a separate SRAM chip :nod:

2. n64coder

n64coder Robust Member

I think by now, we have enough hints that there are a number of people who would like to get this. Can we stop bumping this thread just to say that we're interested in it?

3. arbingordon

arbingordon Active Member

We could, yea, but where's the fun in that?

4. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

any word yet on availability?

5. Segata Sanshiro

Segata Sanshiro speedlolita

Would love one of these if they're affordableish. Seems to be the perfect flash cart though so a premium can be expected no doubt. :3

6. DC_Lov

DC_Lov Rising Member

I might get one if the price is right but I won't hold my breath though , and it's not like there are any good N64 translation patches or hack to look forward to anyway.

Either they are really hard to hack/patch N64 games or people just forget that this manificent console exists. <_<

7. link83

There are not as many N64 game hacks/mods as for other systems, but there are plenty of level modifications for Super Mario 64, GoldenEye, Perfect Dark etc. For instance:-
    http://homepage.mac.com/qubedstudios/ToadsTool64.htm

8. AberAber

AberAber Rising Member

9. wmd

wmd Rising Member

Sorry for bumping the thread, but just want to add praise to marshallh's efforts. I'd also like to be added to any bulk-buying list, regardless of price.

On a related matter, I have a quick question: what is the easiest and cheapest way for me to dump my original N64 carts (including in-cart saves)? I'd hate to lose 15 years worth of saves when migrating to this new device.

10. Disjaukifa

Disjaukifa Intrepid Member

I haven't used my N64 in . . . well its been years, but can't you just transfer saved games to the memory card that you stick in the bottom of the controller?

-Disjaukifa

11. wmd

wmd Rising Member

Unfortunately, most of the games I own don't support this.

12. sanni

sanni Intrepid Member

I think there was an action replay/gameshark that could backup cart saves. I don't remember the details though.
    If the 64drive would have a T-Connector on the back I'm sure marshall could write an application that could do that for you too, but there is no space left on the pcb for that I would guess.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  13. Moiboi

Moiboi Site Supporter 2015

You can use a Gameshark/AR to copy cart saves to memory cards, then you can use a DexDrive to copy them onto your computer. Presumably you could then just put them onto the CF card.

14. arbingordon

arbingordon Active Member

I'm pretty sure that you can get away with just using a GS/AR to dump/write saves to EEPROM, SRAM, and FlashRAM chips.

15. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Don't recall ever seeing a GameShark with the feature of copying saves from the carts myself.

16. kholdfuzion

kholdfuzion I kill consoles

Both my 3.3 and 3.2 GS with lpt port can copy the saves from cart to a memory card then to another copy of the game. I also used if i remember right the hacked n64 gc utils tthat can dump the rom to rip the saves to pc.

17. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I used to own a 3.3 and abused the parallel port connectivity to upload codes, make new codes and capture screen shots.

Must not have been a part of the version of the utility I had which was really hard to find way back when.

18. wmd

wmd Rising Member

Looks like this is the cheapest option then. Do the Gameshark carts work on any region N64? If I'm buying 2nd hand, should they come with a CD or something for the PC side?

Does anyone have a Gameshark/DexDrive they'd like to sell to me? There's quite a lot on ebay but I'd like to keep costs to an absolute minimum given that I only ever need to do this once.

Reading this page, it says the DexDrive saves all your saves into a .n64 file onto your PC. Am I going to be able to get the individual EEPROM saves out of that for use with the 64drive?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  19. link83

I'm afraid its not quite as simple as everyone seems to think, the Action Replay/GameShark appears to use compression on the save files in order to fit them on a Controller Pak. Not only that but the DexDrive then converts them into a proprietory .N64 format with header/title info etc added. To make these save files work with an emulator/64drive would require you to first convert the save file from the DexDrive format and then undo the AR/GS compression. There is at least one utility which can convert DexDrive save files:-
    http://n64.icequake.net/mirror/64scener.parodius.com/dexdrive.htm
    But I have not found anything than can undo the compression from the AR/GS.

For reference the different N64 save types and their sizes are:-
    Games
    EEPROM 512 bytes / 4 kilobit
    EEPROM 2 kilobytes / 16 kilobit
    SRAM 32 kilobytes / 256 kilobit
    FlashRAM 128 kilobytes / 1024 kilobit / 1 megabit

Controller Pak
    SRAM 32 kilobytes / 256 kilobit

I know the AR/GS can backup the first three save types (SRAM only appears to backup properly when the Controller Pak is completely empty) although I havent tested FlashRAM. However considering FlashRAM is more than four times the size of a Controller Pak's SRAM I dont believe the AR/GS compression would work that well.

Now what might work is using the AR/GS to backup the saves to the Controller Pak and then use the AR/GS in combination with the 64drive to load the same games ROM and then use the AR/GS to restore the save file, then the save should be copied across to the 64drive (Thats of course assuming the 64drive even works with the AR/GS and that it appears to the AR/GS exactly as the original game would, which I guess would require the 64drive to skip the menu and jump directly to the specific game)

The only other options appear to be to buy an old N64 backup unit which supports backup/restore of cartridge saves, or perhaps watch and see if anyone ever adds N64 game save support to the Retrode:-
    http://www.retrode.org/
    (There is/was an N64 adaptor available for the Retrode)

I made this thead a while ago which may be of interest:-
    http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31204
    Note that most of it was just me trying to come up with random ideas as to how I could backup cartridge saves - now I have more knowledge some of my ideas seem rather stupid!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  20. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Can't you hot swap on N64? Didn't Banjo Kazooie or some game have that planned as a feature? So couldn't you just run a homebrew N64 program to extract the save data from a cartridge you swap in and then back it up?