Announcing the 64drive nearing completion

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by marshallh, Dec 2, 2010.

1. mark378

mark378 Member

Any developments on that "Controller Pak saving" feature?

2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Robust Member

Still in the same shape it was last. Still works on just the entire mempak instead of individual saves. Not sure when I'll get around to experimenting with individual saves.

3. mark378

mark378 Member

This will be a stupid question either way, but has it been released yet? From your response, I'm not sure whether it's still a long way from being released in any form, or whether it has already been released in it's current form (which is several months old) and hasn't been worked on since. If it has been released, the option to use it doesn't show up on my 64drive (Menu 1.09, Firmware 1.02, Bootloader 1.01).

Apologies for the stupid question, and thanks for your help.

4. Chilly Willy

Sorry, thought you were referring to the NeoMyth (since that's what I talked about last). I have no idea about the 64Drive, but as I have mentioned elsewhere, the NeoMyth menus are open source with a license that allows others to make use of any code they find handy. The NeoMyth has a save manager for the pass-through cart, and GameShark compatible cheats. The code could easily be worked into other carts (hint, hint).

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  5. mark378

mark378 Member

Oh, I see, sorry. I wasn't asking you directly about the Neo Myth (as it looked like), but was instead asking about the 64Drive Controller Pak feature discussed by Loogs and C-Kronos on the previous page. Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

6. Chilly Willy

Sounds like it was my fault... you were responding to a different post, but I thought it was a response to mine.

7. djelaba

djelaba Benzin !, Site Supporter 2013

64Drive is Marshallh's card, not Krikzz's ;)

8. Chilly Willy

Err - I must have posted that half asleep. :)

Well, BOTH can make use of the code if they want. Does the 64Drive have an SDK for using it in homebrew?

9. ToñoGK

ToñoGK Member

Well I'm kind of starting to panic..

3 months ago I ordered and paid a 64drive and I haven't received it.. I sent two emails to Marshall and still no word

Marshall if you read this, could you check your email please? Thanks man

10. mikeryan

mikeryan Active Member

He just got some cables and is sending out a batch real soon now.

11. ToñoGK

ToñoGK Member

That's great news, thank you Mike

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Site Supporter 2013

Version 1.10 has been released.

Controller Pak management, easy file delete (thanks for adding this!) and a couple of bug fixes.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  13. marshallh

marshallh N64 Coder

Yup, there was going to be another feature in it aswell but it would potentially open up a whole new can of worms and I'd rather get it polished first before pushing out.

There are also some pretty significant changes coming in the firmware as well.

Evotistical likes this.
  14. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Can someone post the md5 of the donkey kong 64 that works. I tried the Dextrose one, and few good (E) and (U) dumps. Can't get it to save, getting sick of watching the intro. Thanks

15. C-Kronos

C-Kronos Intrepid Member

You can try the NTSC-U f2 rom of the game, and force SRAM for saving.. There seems to be an issue with how the game handles the 16mbit EEPROM saving, so if you force it to SRAM, it won't be able to bug out and wipe your save on the EEPROM since it won't be there to wipe.

16. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Thanks C-Kronos. Will give that a shot.

Update: Tried the US f2, works. Would also like to have a working PAL rom, because that's the one I own.
    Also, Is Banjo Tooie ever going to work? is there going to be a fix for it? :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  17. C-Kronos

C-Kronos Intrepid Member

Eh, there's a couple fixed PAL roms for DK64, but I don't see the f2 release of the ROM; honestly, if you're able to play the NTSC-U ROM at 60hz without any issues, I'd just stick with that. For the N64, NTSC is superior, and no, I'm not just saying that because I live in the United States. However, if you're dead set on playing the PAL version of the game, Donkey Kong 64 (E) (f1).z64 should work I think if you force the save type to SRAM.

On the topic of Banjo Tooie, you can use a 7105 CIC since you're in a PAL region, that'll allow you to play the game without issue; it'll also allow you to play a clean dump of Jet Force Gemini. If this wasn't a satisfying answer, maybe you should just contact marshallh and ask people that are active in the N64 scene as to if a patch has been completed, and if so, will it be released.

You shouldn't have an issue using the 7105 CIC, I use the NTSC-U equivalent, 6105, and I haven't ran into any compatibility issues caused from doing so.. As far as I'm aware though, using those CIC chips in the ED64 will cause compatibility issues with 6103/7103 games; I'm not sure if KRIKzz ever got around to fixing the issue for the ED64.

18. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

It's as he said, NTSC N64 is simply better as a whole. Both performance and game library size.

Keep PAL roms around for extra languages, features, or bugfixes you have a particular need of.

19. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Thanks guys. So the CIC that comes with the cart (6102- NSTC and 7101- for PAL) isn't enough, I need to install the other one additionally or replace it with 7105? Does that mean I need to buy another Banjo Tooie cart and get the CIC from it?

I'll just play the US version of DK64.

Jet Force Jemini doesnt work either? :/ I thought the only non-working game was Tooie

20. C-Kronos

C-Kronos Intrepid Member

A clean version of Jet Force Gemini doesn't work, but there is a patch that allows you to play it. Also, you'd replace the CIC chip, you wouldn't have multiple CICs installed; and there's more than one game that has that CIC in it, not just BT.