Amiibo prototype supposedly?

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by Diablodin, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Hi. I have this Amiibo. I bought it off a Chinese seller.
    After seeing some videos and posts all around the Web I thought I'd take it here. Hope this is the right forum section.
    I saw there was a thread regarding these prototypes posted a little while ago, but there was a bit scattered info/theories, and links posted there were empty.
    I can provide pics of the Amiibo, and I hope to get to the bottom of this "mystery". :)

Attached Files:

2. roubignolo

roubignolo Old.

Wow, LE blind Link!

kennypecheur likes this.
  3. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Looks like a problem on the production line to me.

4. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

I don't know... Personlly I don't think it was produced to be for sale. There's some letters on it, and the bottom seems to have been sanded to remove something, perhaps details.
    Anyway, here's a couple more pics. The last one was resized to be posted on a different site.

Attached Files:

5. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Built on a Friday is what we say in other industries.

6. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Amen to that! But I still have a feeling this was of non-commercial use.

7. Xzx123

Xzx123 Robust Member

There were (and maybe still are) a lot of supposed amiibo prototypes on ebay. I think most originated from China? Chances are the closest you are going to get will be guesses unless you can get more specifics from the seller.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a claimed prototype of one of the Mii amiibo for sale on there before the official release.

8. Buyatari

Buyatari Well Known Member

There have been many Amiibo and Skylander prototypes on eBay.
    Most if not all of them do not have chips in them.
    Some differ slightly without painting etc. The really interesting ones that I have seen use different colors of plastics.
    Would would be the holy grail for these collectors would be an unreleased Amiibo or Skylander with electronics that actually worked in the game.

9. Tripredacus

Tripredacus Peppy Member

I would suspect it is defect product that was back-doored before being sent off to be destroyed. The paint operations are done on all the parts except for the face.

10. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

What you have is a production line model with defects.

So here's a quick rundown of Amiibo and actual plastic prototypes (and part of the process)

There's a lot of plastic types out there as well but generally speaking you will find plastic that has colour like such. This plastic is essentially what undyed plastic looks like (It's usually an off-white colour. Sometimes it's also softer so its easier to remove defective spots easier as it's easier to cut through).
    0819161647.jpg

In a very condensed version of how the production process works
    1) Model is sculpted or 3D modeled in CAD software
    2) Multiple parts made for an assembly of said item (impossible molds and such for example)
    3) Molds are made via a complex milling technique (with or without scanning said model)
    4) A batch of samples are made (anywhere from 50 to hundreds depending on why and the customer's request)
    5) Samples are checked for defects and issues with the model itself (extra plastic flash, detail, etc. These usually have the plastic pictured above). <-THIS IS WHAT A PROTOTYPE WOULD BE
    6) New molds are made with fixes in mind
    7) More samples are made with fixes or changes and model is checked once again <-THIS IS WHAT A PROTOTYPE WOULD BE
    8) Process is repeated until you have the production model molds.
    8.5) At this point you make models that can introduce colour dyes if needed. This step can be done in step 8 or it can be added at step 9, but It truly varies based on what the process entails. SOMETIMES THESE ARE NOT USING THE PLASTIC PICTURED ABOVE BUT CAN SOMETIMES BE COMPLETELY BLACK AS A DYE TEST
    9) Production model molds are finally made and decided on
    10) The models get made and sometimes defects show up (usually marked to be destroyed for some reason, sometimes its due to defect in dye, silkscreening decals, parts with deformities. These often have that plastic in the picture above due to dye defects) <-THIS IS WHAT YOU WILL SEE ON EBAY. THESE ARE NOT PROTOTYPES BY DEFINITION BUT MANUFACTURING ERRORS

What you will see on ebay and from other sellers 95% of the time
    -They will not have a chip for actual use
    -Production models with defects
    -Production models pulled off the line early and smuggled out of the factory
    -Production models that for one reason or another are marked to be thrown out but are instead saved
    -Sometimes are dye test samples

What a real prototype would be
    -At a point before the final mold was created
    -Usually has mold line changes and extra issues not present on the production models
    -Can sometimes be dye test samples (there was a completely black plastic Peach Amiibo - this was a real prototype)

11. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Thanks, PixelButts! :D
    That sounds very accurate, and I have read a little about these type of figure production processes, but I bet you're more wise on this field than me.
    This is the only Amiibo I have. I don't own a Wii U, so I haven't tested it, but considering it's weight and the missing paint, I can only imagine it's got no chip in it. Though I don't know how much a chip weighs.
    I don't know if you can see it in the pictures, but it looks to me that the missing shield and quiver have been manually glued on at some point. I can't confirm this. The Chinese seller wasn't talking a whole lot of English, and even though I asked multiple times about details I only got Google translated text back about how he didn't understand me.

12. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Yeah, before what PixelButts posted I wasn't sure at all.
    The Mii, Marth (I think) and Wii Fit girl prototypes were most likely fake I think. I saw them selling for $50-60 bucks when they first leaked, but then they kept being listed again and again after being sold. Since early spring they've been listed and not sold, because the caution people started taking as they were relisted like 7-8 times in 2-3 months I think.