Alpha Xbox XDK Recovery and SDK : May 2001 3521.1

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by Borman, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

This file is for alpha development kits ONLY. It should not run on your beta or retail kits, but even if it did, it wouldn't work.

These files are backed up from my personal disks, and have been verified to work fine. The dumps are all 1:1, and of course include the boot sector needed to actually boot the files on the alpha development kits. Tons of early samples are included, and early tools like xbexplorer, which should help your fiddling, especially if you are looking to make your own alpha kit.

You can find video of it in action here : http://ptoponline.com/?p=573

Download from MEGA

Feel free to thank kl0wn as well!

finalkillcams, Mistawes and CodeAsm like this.
  2. lwizardl

lwizardl Living The Dream

Awesome!! thanks to both Borman & kl0wn!

3. kl0wn

kl0wn <B>Site Supporter 2013</B><BR><B>Site Benefactor</

FYI, this ran on my "Alpha like" hardware without any hardware or software Hacks. P3, VC820 Motherboard, 128mb of memory and a NV20 Geforce 3 Ti 200

Esppiral, Mistawes and CodeAsm like this.
  4. iamcheese

iamcheese Active Member

tracking down visual c++ pro and sp4 for it was abit difficult but i did manage to get the whole sdk set up in a win 2k vm, now just to build the franken alpha

5. CodeAsm

CodeAsm ohci_write: Bad offset 30

Sweet, Thx Kl0wn and Borman :D
    Ill check when im back, im in the search for a 360 dev right now lol.

6. TrilbyDragon

TrilbyDragon Member

hay just wonted to know if any one out there has a torrent of this? my net keeps crashing when trying to download form mega :(

7. CodeAsm

Yes, works on my "Franken ALpha" aswell. Need an USB card and controller to actually do anything :p

8. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Let me know if you find it, if your talking about the G5 recovery discs, I'm looking as well

CodeAsm likes this.
  9. deep3r

deep3r Fiery Member

I know this is gravedigging mate (sorry) but recently aquired an Alpha 1 Kit. It has a recovery and works wonderful but I would like this just in case, so thank you, but would it work for an a
    Alpha 1? I know the most common are Alpha 2 Kits.

10. Syclopse

Syclopse .

Yes. Just attach another HDD when tinkering with different recovery versions & games. Alpha 1 to 2's were just CPU and video card upgrades and some added the missing sound cards. You may have an Alpha I that was already upgraded to Alpha II specs.

11. CodeAsm

12. AS347

AS347 Spirited Member

Thought this was for Alpha Mac G5 kits for a second!

CodeAsm likes this.
  13. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

14. KaosEngineer

KaosEngineer Robust Member

All those links still work that CodeAsm posted. Easier to use an FTP client for anonymous FTP DL of all the SP4 files.

Update:
    Not sure why the ftp link has http:// added to it as the link looks correct when hovering over it but once clicked on it becomes: http://ftp//ftp.uni-rostock.de/pub/tools/microsoft/ServicePacks/VisualTools/us/SP4/ should be
    ftp://ftp.uni-rostock.de/pub/tools/microsoft/ServicePacks/VisualTools/us/SP4/

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Syclopse and Jackhead like this.
  15. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

Hey @Borman , is there a trick to ripping some of these recovery discs? I've just been throwing them into ImgBurn and ripping the iso, but I'm finding that I'm ending up with "Image.iso" files that are full hundreds of megs of data, but apparently missing some key piece of data because when I open them in an iso viewer like winrar, they appear as empty archives.

The XDK discs rip perfectly fine.

16. Borman

No trick. Use poweriso to open them.

finalkillcams and Kao like this.
  17. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

Ah, nice. PowerISO can see the files even though winrar couldn't. Really glad I don't have to dig up all those discs again. I have XDK and Recovery discs from December 2000 through August 2001.

Thanks, @Borman. You're a hero.

Syclopse likes this.
  18. iriez

iriez Active Member

Sorry to dig up a old thread. I aquired a alpha I that has the Wolfson Micronics AMR sound Card but NOT the upgraded video card. When trying to boot my feb 2001 recovery disk I get a black screen blinking cursor with the old video card, but successfully enters into the recovery when i install the NV20.

Is there any recovery that would work with this mixture of hardware? Or do I need to upgrade the video card to get this functional?

Pics of cards -
    https://imgur.com/a/dDKGn75

Card in the Alpha I that works is a P50, which comes up as a Ti500? Just want to make sure im getting the right thing before purchasing. I did find this P50 thats not too expensive -

https://www.calhountech.com/product...MIx8XB6M3n4wIViddkCh2nnAxqEAkYAiABEgKVuvD_BwE

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  19. CodeAsm

Alpha 1 used a Nvidia Geforce 2 GTS (if im correctly remembering). (they have something like NV11, NV15, NV16) but I dont own one to see wich works.
    Alpha 2 used a Nvidia Geforce 3 (NV20 core as we know)

Im now looking for a Geforce2 myself. the code looks for a PCI ID 0x10de:0x0150
    https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29679&start=25 might help finding this card.
    KEEP IN MIND, the older recovery might work with the older card, but you need to "upgrade" your GPU to run the newer recovery. maybe even need to, if you want to play those shared prototype games (I am not sure if they run on the older dash).

Also, that other card is some Intel card, from 1998 :p

Syclopse likes this.
  20. Borman

Yep, Geforce 2 GTS works for older recoveries.

Games only run on the May dash, at least the ones that have been released so far. Older versions aren't compatible, even April.

Oldest dashes need the Geforce 2 GTS too, not the Geforce 3 as there isn't a driver (for the Windows 2000 based recoveries).