AKURA Dreamcast HDMI Box

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by beharius, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Sp33dFr34k

Sp33dFr34k Spirited Member

Great to hear @japanese_cake, thanks for the info :) Will the new bios work with the GD Menu application as well?

2. japanese_cake

japanese_cake Spirited Member

So far, thanks to @neuroacid , all my bioses are compatible with gdmenu (or better to say the opposite). And as the bios will be more "standard" compared to the v1.032 one, i think it will be also natively compatible with gdmenu.

fafadou and Sp33dFr34k like this.
  3. Sp33dFr34k

Great, thanks for the elaboration. Didn't know GD Menu was adapted to your bios. Time to flash it then :)

4. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

Yes, that is what has been happening. Apparently the recommended fix for this is to turn on TV/monitor after the boot screen then the image is supposed to be correctly centred. Not exactly a perfect solution for me.

Between the OSSC and the Akura I'd pick the OSSC...

Ted.

5. Sp33dFr34k

Apparently if you hook the DC up via VGA to the OSSC the entire resolution is being recognized which means no more image shift. Can't wait until mine arrives :)

6. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

I have my OSSC hooked up via my Torro and picture has been spot on. The OSSC line optimisation modes are also a great addition for those 240p titles...

Ted.

7. beharius

beharius Resolute Member

Actually you just need to turn off then on again whenever you want for the image to be centered. Or just switch to another video channel then back to do it.

jopamo and fafadou like this.
  8. nonosto

nonosto Intrepid Member

I have it, picture is so sharp, colour so nice vs standar VGA....Daytona USA 2001 widescreen or F355 beautiful....it's like XBLA por for Crazy Taxi or VOOT....

Like You, I will order a true RGB DC csync ....

9. Segafan1985

Segafan1985 Member

I just got this today and I love it. However my Yamaha RX-A2070 (my AV receiver) upscales to 4k. Normally I can see the signal info and resolution. With the Akura though it just says HDMI / VGA -> VGA normally it would say HDMI / HDMI 480p -> 4k) I am interpreting this to mean that my AVR is not capable of upscaling VGA signals over HDMI. I mean my OLED TV obviously has its own scaler so not that big of a deal. I was just surprised because my AVR handled Retrovision cables which I considered it lucky to work with.

10. petterk

petterk Spirited Member

Most premium TVs atleast, for example the last Panasonic Viera plasmas from 2013/14 or Pioneers Kuro series, will upscale the image perfectly by itself, for those in doubt regarding digital televisions.

Considering you have an OLED, I believe it was quite pricey? In that case, it should carry a OK++ upscaler itself as it will have a direct reflection of the users opinion of the "image quality" with content that originally is not in the TVs native resolution, like TV broadcasts. However, it's not a given the TVs I/O supports 480p (not 100% do) through a digital connection, specifically actually, HDMI. A monitor however, probably will.

I have great experience with the products from these guys though - currently my favourite is the Hanzo. Its build quality, image quality and professionalism from everything from support to the products is undisputable. I will gladly vouche (if I havent already lol) for these guys!

11. Segafan1985

Segafan1985 Member

Is there a fix yet for the picture being pushed too far over to the right? Turning the TV on and off is a pain in the butt especially if you use the in game reset and then you have to power cycle the TV again every time you play a new game. Is there a firmware update to fix this issue? This would be a flawless product if there was a fix for this issue. I tried the "switch to another input" method on my TV but it doesn't seem to work. I guess I can try to switching inputs on my AV/Receiver too.

12. beharius

beharius Resolute Member

Unfortunately there is no way other than those.

13. 24Nathan

24Nathan Member

I can't get this issue to fix at all, no matter what I power cycle, switch to, change cables to, or switch options.

14. Meringues

Meringues <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

One way to sort the VGA misalignment problem, its an expensive setup but it works, I've posted this on a few other places but for me this is the best way to get the best picture from your Dreamcast on a modern TV.

I recently got a new 4K TV without VGA or Scart port but I do have an original VGA box and both the Toro and Akura, after extensive testing I have found the best way to connect a Dreamcast has to be using the Akura via RGB Scart using its unique 480p (VGA) mode via the Scart cable which is then connected to a Framemeister XRGB-mini (I believe this is the only device that accepts this signal).

Again, its an expensive option but I already had the XRGB-mini for other consoles anyway and this method gives a sharper clearer image than the Akura, but not only that I have also found you get the VGA 480p quality but with a perfectly centred image.

I expect the only superior option would be the internal HDMI mod which would be completely digital.

15. Xerxes3rd

Xerxes3rd Rapidly Rising Member

Another option would be to convert the VGA signal to Component, then either connect the Component cables directly to the TV or convert to HDMI. The Dreamcast uses a standard HDTV 480p signal, but most VGA sinks aren’t expecting those timings over VGA (hence the offset picture and incorrect aspect ratio).

A cheap VGA->Component converter might work, as long as it’s just doing colorspace conversion and sync combining. If it’s a digital converter, then it probably wouldn’t be much help.

16. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

The Hammerhead VGA2HDMI converter without an upscaler also works well with the weird DC VGA signal. It's like 50$ top.

17. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

You could also do the internal HDMI mod which taps into the DC’s digital AV signals, bypassing analog video entirely. This provides the best picture possible out of the DC and it also corrects the aspect ratio to a real 640x480 VGA timing. It also has less lag than the DC’s onboard digital to analog converter iirc.

The Akura seems like a great option for those who rather not mod their console.

fafadou likes this.
  18. maxtherabbit

maxtherabbit Member

I had a terrible impression of that device. It added 2 frames of lag and showed significant video noise that direct VGA did not

19. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Might be a hit and miss issue with clones? I noticed no lag or noise myself, but I'm not the most picky one about that.

20. maxtherabbit

maxtherabbit Member

I got the Sewell one, which is the "authentic" one afaik