Aiwa Mega-CD Game Unit BIOS Dump [MPR-15768-T] [2.11c]

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by Shane McRetro, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

I finally got around to dumping the BIOS off the Aiwa Sega Mega-CD Game Unit CSD-GM1. The chip is labelled MPR-15768-T and reports version 2.11c. If anyone can find any differences between it and other versions that would be way past cool.

I do not want to ever have to desolder a 40-pin DIP again though, but if I have to I know the best way to do it now. Below are the three videos of disassembling the unit, desoldering the chip (loooong) and finally dumping and testing in an EverDrive.

Hope someone out there can use this or at least let my videos help them learn - there's more on my YouTube Channel. Download links are after the break too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

* Download Link *

The file is also available on McRetro.net via the files server (when it is online) or the Google Drive mirror.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  2. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I can't seem to find a 2.11 version for Japan anywhere. 2.11 for NTSC-U consoles but nothing Japanese.

I'll add this to my collection.

3. Shane McRetro

Cool, glad to hear it will make one collection that little bit more complete! :biggrin-new:
    Any differences between the 2.11 US and JP versions you can see?

4. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Just ran it through a hex editor for comparison and here are a few more obvious ones:

MAYCD2 BOOT ROM 05/28-1993 14:00 2.11c - Aiwa
    JUNCD2 BOOT ROM 06/21-1993 16:00 2.11X - NTSC-U

BR 000008-2.11..JM4
    BR 000006-2.11..JM4

ERROR!..THIS IS AN NTSC-COMPATIBLE MEGA-CD. FOR EXCLUSIVE USE IN JAPAN AND. SOUTHEAST ASIA
    ERROR!..THIS IS AN NTSC-COMPATIBLE SEGA-CD.FOR USE IN NTSC REGIONS OTHER THAN. JAPAN AND SOUTHEAST ASIA

Probably more but I don't know much about disassembling these things. There are a large number of differences that the hex editor pointed out but I'd imagine a lot of that is fonts, graphics, sound and the like.

5. Shane McRetro

Oh yeah, the US had a completely different startup sound, graphic, etc. I guess it would be better to compare with an old / newer Japanese version then!
    I like the way Aiwa gets a special mention in the code there :sorrow: So beautiful!

6. Nemesis

Nemesis Peppy Member

This is the best way to do it: http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-Desoldering-Kit-With-808/dp/B000ARPULW
    I have one, one of the most useful pieces of kit I ever bought. Makes desoldering devices like this almost trivial. It's the only way you can do something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Without completely stuffing it up.

7. omp

omp Familiar Face

Yes hakko (808) desoldering gun is the key. I recommend getting it from the us with a suitable step down transformer. Save yourself a couple of hundred bucks i shit you not! I got a quote from prime electronics, $500 for just the gun. I got the gun, stand, 2 different size tips, spare filters, different size cleanings rods etc and the step down transformer for $350 to my door.

8. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

There are other much cheaper brands that work just the same.

Its just suction and heat

9. Shane McRetro

Added onto the to buy list :loyal: If it is a must, it IS a must!
    That Mega Drive board is very impressively done, I have to say! :congratulatory:
    Thanks for the tips guys, looking forward to getting one and doing some fun things to my Mega Drives... !
    How are you all enjoying the BIOS so far though, fits well? Not too tight around the sleeves? :witless:

10. omp

omp Familiar Face

I learned the hard way with my soldering station, sure it was cheap and works great, BUT if I have to ever replace the tip, I am shit outta luck. They feed me bullshit that Weller tips fit at the time. Having said that I have had it for nearly 15 years, keep it in as good nick as I can and it should last me quite a few more years.

Sure go for a cheaper brand, just make sure you can service the fucker! If unsure and they have parts now, buy up a few spares you may need (filters for start).

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

12. omp

omp Familiar Face

13. Shane McRetro

Hahaha I think there's a ke missing from that! Hahaha! :p
    I honestly had no idea a desoldering gun existed until now.
    You have all opened my eyes!

What happened to Farnell anyway? Why the rebrand down under? Taken over?
    I hate it when I forget their name and search Element 14, turns up 50 bazillion hits all to do with silicon.
    On the other hand Farnell is such a unique name. Ugly... no one wants it!

14. omp

omp Familiar Face

No idea what happened to Farnell. Just had a name change I guess.

You could try Prime, they don't have a very good website but you could call? Try RS. I had a further look on Element14 and it is all expensive stuff.

Jaycar got sweet stuff all.

May be best to get something like that UK one and replace the lead with an Aussie replacement (the voltage is close enough to fudge it).

They have people showing off the Hakko 808 (and others) on youtube, they are fan-bloody-tastic. Just got to keep the buggers clean so they don't clog up.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  15. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

They are element14 too, but still use the farnell DNS.

The link above was CPC though who were bought out by farnell.

However, CPC often have things listed cheaper than farnell - which is just odd.

16. omp

omp Familiar Face

17. Shane McRetro

Those YouTube videos are amazing. I want a Hakko 808. Dammit! I want one yesterday!
    The components just fall off the board. They are FALLING OFF THE BOARD!

I take it nothing makes sense with Farnell / CPC / Element 14 except for their (until recently) ridiculous free shipping...
    Order three capacitors for $3 and we'll ship it free next day from local or a warehouse overseas.
    How were they doing that at all?
    Now it's all minimum order this, minimum order that. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted! :sorrow:

18. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Yeah, their free shipping was awesome.

£20 min order for free shipping is still pretty good though.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  19. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

I use a cheapo soldering iron with a vacuum bulb for desoldering. IT was $20 and only problem with it is the tip burns out from time to time. I got a 5 pack at a hardware store for like $3.49.

Has served me well for many a desoldering session. Got lotsa resistors and such off of old dead PCBs with it.

I may have to go about hacking my currently non functioning model 1 Sega Genesis with better parts now. All it needs really is an oscillator to be functional again.

20. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017