After repairing my mega cd , ended up destroyed i guess :(

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by somacast, May 5, 2018.

1. somacast

somacast Rising Member

hello,

i really need some help with my mega cd (pal) , it was left for long not working, recently thought of repairing it , i did the following:

replaced laser
    replaced potentiometers as i felt they were lose, but it wasnt them preventing games from loading
    replaced all laser board caps as 2 were dead (OL on esr).
    replaced all motherboard caps, made a huuuge mess out of many , but gave them jumpers from here and there,
    jumpered the fuse..

well, it worked pretty well, all ok, even audio was fine except that certain audios were not coming through the mega cd audio out, including the (taa daa) at sega logo , sonic spinning sounds in sonic cd, his spinning sound, rings taken sounds etc, but those were coming through the mega drive audio out.

so i was fine with that, assembled it, then i played sonic cd , guess what, sound started crashing it first stage, it even once gave me both lights blinking and cd ejected, even in audio players tracks were reading just crashing noise, i found one cap came out from mb, points were gone, gave it jumpers, no use (bios main music was ok all time, only in game sound was destroyed)

then i thought of going to power board, found 2 bad caps near the right side (the 100 uf) replaced them, then thought of replacing all caps (all remaining are 10 uf), which was baaaaaaad idea, old and cold solder caused many bad points, well somewhat i guess i replaced all

tried it again, now wooorse, no music at all in the game just noise (earlier i was getting music of sonic cd opening screen, beginning of stage , then crashes)

went to check solders again of power board, found something toooo weired, the negative side of about 7 caps was no giving closed circuit with earth !! so I got a stupid idea which i did

i gave all those negatives of all those caps an earth jumper, tested it.. frozen screen of bios

removed the jumper, now only frozen screen of bios..

is it gone? totally?

i feel deeeeply sad , i have above average to good electronics experience, but i ended up doing this

please help me, thanks

2. somacast

somacast Rising Member

iam sorry i posted it here, can some admin help me plz delete it, i guess iam too sad even to concentrate.. sorry