Aeon Flux PSX (cancelled) Playable Stage 2 Gameplay&Screens

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Joseph_Capelli, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Joseph_Capelli

Joseph_Capelli Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

This game was cancelld,dunno why.Its just possible to play through the second level,all other levels (5 in total) arent working,cause the disc is missing the files.Hard to say the state of development but for me it looks very early,since mostlyall sounds are missing,you just hear the sound of here weapon or the cry if she dies.The game contains a small debug menu wich allowes you to not die (seems its not working well),walk through walls.There is no main menu to change the options,save or load a game.Build date was November 18,1996.As far as i can tell,the playable stage plays inside a huge prison with some strange looking mutants and monsters.

More screens can be found here:

http://play-the-games.com/?p=1387

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  2. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

It was developed by Viacom New Media, who merged with Virgin Interactive, which probably cut the kibosh on the game. It was released though in 1997 as Pax Corpus, with Aeon Flux license removed. And it wasn't very good at all.

ItsMeMario likes this.
  3. Meer

Meer Spirited Member

Very interesting, thanks for the post!

4. Joseph_Capelli

all i found on the net,was just one short gameplay video.....so not much infos of that game exist till now :)

5. rewak

rewak Peppy Member

Funny you should post this now, i've just been playing Pax Corpus. Looking at the screens and the video the cell level is more or less the same as it is in Pax, the characters designs are different though, no dogs in Pax, and if i'm not mistaken Pax runs at a slower speed (as in the whole game)? Everything beyond that is very bare compared to Pax apart from the last level show which is again more or less the same from what little is shown anyway.

6. Joseph_Capelli

so if pax was made after they cancelled aeon flux for psx,i think its normal that the pax game got loads of stuff that was first planned for aeon flux

7. rewak

rewak Peppy Member

From what i've read Pax Corpus is basically the same game with the references to Aeon Flux removed or altered, it was delayed a year though. Originally it was shown at E3'96 for release in October that year, Pax was released in October 97 so i'm not sure how far along they got.

8. Joseph_Capelli

i saw a video of the second stage on youtube and it looks very similar to aeon flux.the main differences are the enemys and the main character plus the hud...the maps are more or less the same,but they look more complete in pax corpus

9. rewak

rewak Peppy Member

Actually i was a little wrong, there are dogs in Pax but that video plays the levels in a weird order, at about 4:55 that's the last level of the prison stage where the dogs and torturer are pretty much the boss level, approaching the blue person should trigger the end of the level.

10. Punch

Punch RIP AsssemblerGames, never forget.

Very interesting, thanks for posting ;)

11. Joseph_Capelli

If i find anything else,ill post it here..
    Btw:im still looking for a programm to open the model files

12. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Definitely a cool find. Thanks a bunch for sharing the info!

13. Joseph_Capelli

glad to hear you like it...sometimes you can find nice stuff on ebay,like that aeon flux disc :)

14. rewak

rewak Peppy Member

Wow, you manged to picked it up fairly cheap. nice catch! It's a shame there's no other levels on the disc, or movie files more to the point. You can easily tell from the Pax FMV's that the locations are just lifted straight from Aeon with very minor tweaks, they didn't try very hard to change it, it would have been cool to see the proper characters in the locations. It would have been cool to hear some dialog too if any was recorded. Still it's nice to see the Aeon model and always fun to see early development of a game.

15. Joseph_Capelli

yeah,ive noticed it...pax corpus is more or less the same,just with different models and more sounds :)
    i checked the files,only the stage 2 folders are there,no other levels...
    oh,there are some soundfiles in the folders,but they are in .vag format

16. rewak

rewak Peppy Member

You should be able to open those easily, it's a standard format for Playstation. Apparently Audacity will open them and then you can play them or export them to another format.

17. Joseph_Capelli

i tried that programm,but it seems that its not working with these files.......

18. OctaviousRex

OctaviousRex Member

even in this state I'd love to play this beta.

19. angelwolf71885

angelwolf71885 Dauntless Member

oh my god THANK YOU i posted a thread asking if a build exists and lo and behold

20. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

Aeon Flux, that brings back some memories of being weirded out. Some things on that show were just f'd up. Not sure how it would have translated to a PS1 game though.