Activison files patent that imbalances matchmaking to incentivise microtransactions

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Spaceman, Oct 17, 2017.

1. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Yes, the first Destiny required DLC to continue playing. If you didn't buy the DLC, you would be capped at a certain light level and would basically be entirely starved of content and items (weapons and armour) since the base game had so few story missions, a couple of strikes, and one raid. No doubt Destiny 2 will follow suit, I pre-ordered the version of the game that came with the next 2 DLC's to save myself the trouble.

That doesn't mean anything. A business is a business, its number one goal is to make money (at least in the west, anyway), and Bungie is no different. In fact, the Bungie of today is even more likely to go back on their word than the Bungie of the Halo era, especially now that Activision is hovering over them. Granted Microsoft isn't much better, just look at what they've done to Halo.

2. wheelaa

wheelaa FM Towns / MD Addict Site Supporter 2010-2015

And Gears of War. Now better to call it Skins of Barbie (with some actual gameplay elements stuck behind RNG loot boxes....). Not a catchy name though.

And Bungie....

So many untruths already spoken in the last few years around D1 (see those mountains? we respect your time?). Given the season approach in D2 is, for now, from what we have been told/seen, quite a cosmetic fest (who wants to grind for game affecting loot when you can look pretty), who knows?

3. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

You think so? Reminds me of "Silence of the Lambs". I'd play that.

It rubs the season pass on its skin, or else it gets the microtransactions again!

4. PessimisticPenguin

PessimisticPenguin Плохо пигвин

The only type of business these "AAA" game companies are, is the 10th definition on the Merriam-Webster dictionary: a bowel movement

5. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

>webster
    >american dictionary for the English language

There's your problem.

6. thebigman1106

thebigman1106 Spirited Member

Activision? What the f.......?
    After all this with starwars battlefront microtransactions.
    The big companies are getting greedy/desperate.

I can see why smaller indie companies are hitting the scene.