Activison files patent that imbalances matchmaking to incentivise microtransactions

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Spaceman, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Spaceman

Spaceman PSX Historian

As the thread topic states, Activision going forward with their flagship titles such as Destiny 2 are rigging matchmaking to incentivise newer, less skilled players into buying microtransaction content. Such a disgusting, greedy, predatory tactic. Why does gaming continue to fall so low, and these despicable pricks still continue to profit? A sad day indeed.

Quoted from the patent:
    "The system may include a microtransaction arrange matches to influence game-related purchases. For instance, the system may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player."

Patent link: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/9789406

Share your thoughts below.

Jord9622 likes this.
  2. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

That's disgusting. Not cool, Activision.

Spaceman likes this.
  3. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I'm not surprised

4. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

Only the first to file a patent on it, I'd guess.

5. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

And people wonder why I only play Weeb games....

ItsMeMario and Ss4gogeta0 like this.
  6. rso

Why do you only play weeb games? There's plenty titles from before the "Horse Armor Era" to choose from, no need to restrict yourself that much.

DeChief and Half Mile Ride like this.
  7. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

This.

Craptivision has sucked for years now. I need to get together enough materials to write something up on the multiple occasions they've betrayed both their own legacy and gamers as a whole. Easily my least favorite publisher and this is coming from someone who grew up on Tony Hawk and True Crime.

8. GodofHardcore

Yo ass need to go play some Senran Kagura and you'll get your answer.

9. rso

We're picking on Activision being an asshole about DLC, and you suggest yet another DLC-fest? I fail to see your point, if there even is one... are you saying your weeaboo DLC is somehow better?

10. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I *AM* surprised EA didn't do it first.

11. GodofHardcore

You don't need the DLC to have the complete experience.

And I was talking about tiddies

12. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

I'm sure they are working on it - you will soon find that "maximum bounce" is a feature that can only be enabled if you buy the DLC...

speedyink likes this.
  13. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015 Staff Member

Actually some games had / have important parts of the experience (sometimes the ending!) behind a paid DLC

You're giving Team Ninja ideas...

14. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

The only ideas Team Ninja should be having are ones involving DOA6 with the art style restored.

DeChief likes this.
  15. sp193

sp193 Well Known Member

I can't access that URL. But what's wrong with doing this? As long as it doesn't put the player at a significant disadvantage, isn't this just a new form of subtle marketing?

16. GodofHardcore

I was referring to Senran Kagura having DLC but DLC that isn't required for a complete experience.

17. rso

How about the Activision titles in question? Do they require the DLC to finish, or is it just purely cosmetic stuff (for now) that they're upselling? Because if it's the latter, to me there's not much difference wrt DLC ethics (tit content doesn't matter, though I do like me some birds).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  18. ddxcb

ddxcb Gota J.T.A.G. That Xbone Yo.

Bungie Them self's said that that isn't going to happen to their games.

19. PessimisticPenguin

PessimisticPenguin Плохо пигвин

Still not as bad as World of Tanks with their matchmaking, so horrible that it could only be rigged. The online multiplayer game I've ever played where I could win 10 matches in a row for being a good player, then lose the next 10 because every time I get shot by an enemy tank, no matter how weak, it always hits and always destroys a critical component of my tank. There is premium ammo in the game with more penetration that can be purchased with game currency, but it's so expensive the only way to maintain using the game currency to remain competitive is to buy a premium account. Interesting to note, when playing War Thunder, none of this "bad luck" ever happens. My win rate stays consistent, and no "miracle shots" ever occur.

In world of tanks, there was a time they nerfed how much camoflauge tank destroyers received in the game, but not to piss off purchasers of "premium" tanks, they did not nerf the camoflauge values of them, which made any premium tank destroyer before the patch OP as hell.

james2452 likes this.
  20. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Peppy Member

This istn really news, is it ? Many games "supplying" micropayment, have patents on trading, crafting mechanisms etc.

You move on to the next level/map and recieve some "big ass" ammuniton for free, as a gift, beeing able to kill 10 levels above you.
    You like that and now you want more of that ammo... -_- 10 euro, 20 euro, etc. (For example Pirate Storm)
    But alas you dont have much hitpoints, so you buy shields...or a bigger boat...with itmes, that decay over time,
    items, that you need to buy again and again.

Because the next time you encounter a "big player", you will need that ammo....that bigger ship...shields...

(Very) soon you have payed for a full price game aka. 59,99 Euro.

I do understand people that do "mini" purchases. 10 Euro per months maybe. But 1000 diamonds for 199 Euro ?
    Again and again ? The rich dominating the games ? Crazy world. No rules.

I do understand that even games like "Candy Crush" do need "some money" to "throw up" the next title...but whatever happened to...boxed games that never recieved any update and didnt require you to stay online while playing...when you played weeks to explore and level up, without having to pay any extra fee...and now, patents...whats next ?

A friend of mine works at the payment section of "Good Game Empire"...and its nothing special, that people pay 100 Euro and more per weekend...to be the...strongest one for some hours. Many games have so called "jackpots" attached by now, that you can win.

Sometimes people compare it to a night in a bar, where people spend 100 Euro and more per weekend.

Crazy times ahead for sure...but its already a bit annoying. ;p