Activate 7 controllers with PS3

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by ShadowZero, May 3, 2016.

1. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

The controllers indicate what slot they occupy by the 4 lights. If two lights are lit up that means that you add them up to get what controller you are using. So if 4 and 3 are lit up you'd be controller 7, etc. I doubt that would be a feature if you could only use 4 controllers max.

Domspun likes this.
  2. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

3. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

So yeah, just tried it out and 7 controllers can connect to the PS3. I don't have any games that play 7 players, but they all work in the menu. I have a PS3 remote, but when I plugged in the 7th one, it replaced it as the 7.

4. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

Well 7 players working is common knowledge.
    The reason I brought up Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is that it's an 8 player game sold for the PS3, yet there's no sign of a way to make anything recognized as controller 8.

5. ShadowZero

ShadowZero Spirited Member

Which PS3 model do you have?

@Lum: It may be common knowledge, but this topic is because it doesn't work for me. Try to find info or someone actually having synced 7 controllers and you're having a hard time (besides people saying they don't have 7 controllers, or 6 friends, or don't care for local multiplayer anyway...).

6. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

CECHL, but I also have a super slim in a box somewhere. I could take it out and test it, but what's your model?

7. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is a PS2 game. PS3 may not have full compatibility with all PS2 stuff. So you probably can't use player 8 cause the PS3 only recognizes 7 controllers. It sounds like a multi-multitap deal so yeah, Sony didn't think to support it.

Borman and Digmac like this.
  8. ShadowZero

Super Slim, though I also have the 60GB PS2 support phat model upstairs (not sure anymore if I tried 7 controllers there).

9. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

Hmm, I'm curious so I'll fetch it and test it out.

10. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

OK! I test it out. BTW, that console was nasty. I think I'm gonna open it up and do a complete overhaul. Anyway, so I connected 7 controllers on it, but I found out that when you want to replace one of the controllers by a new one, it won't connect until you make it "forget" one of the previous ones. So probably that PS3 had already one controller(or Bluetooth device) in memory. It's probably why you couldn't connect a 7th one.

11. Moo

Moo Gutsy Member

You didn't know you had to connect it to the PS3 first with a mini USB cord?

12. ShadowZero

Ok, after testing with my Phat PS3 I can now 100% confirm this is (for some reason) a limitation of the PS3 Super Slim. I had no problem whatsoever to connect 7 controllers to the Phat PS3. In the meantime I even got a backup super slim (primarily to 'save' my Rock Band dlc's, via transfer ^^ ), a white one, and I could also only connect 6 controllers there. So I'm curious what the reason is, and am disappointed I can't play Bomberman locally with 7-players on my PS3 Super Slim :(

Also curious what the normal Slim model does...

rso likes this.
  13. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

What about an 8th controller on that phat? Does it work, or is the Fire Pro marketing just a lie?

14. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

My Super Slim can connect 7 controllers, same as my Phats. Don't know what's the problem with yours. Which version is yours? Mine's the one with the 12GB onboard memory, no HDD.

15. ShadowZero

@Domspun: Just to confirm, it's the Super Slim, and not the Slim?
    I have black 500GB one and white 500GB one.

@rso: I thought it was common knowledge only 7 bluetooth devices could be connected to the PS3, so I never tried an 8th actually. What is Fire Pro?

EDIT:
    Just to add to that, it doesn't make a difference if I try to connect a wireless controller or a wired controller (eg. Dual Shock 2 with ps2-to-ps3 adapter). It won't recognize/connect the 7th controller.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  16. rso

rso Not a member. You're imagining things.

But yeah, seems like I skimmed over this too fast. I thought it was a native PS3/PSN title, but obviously, a PS2 with two multitaps is a completely different platform. Carry on, nothing to see here...

17. Domspun

Domspun Spirited Member

It's a Super Slim, the model without HDD.

18. ShadowZero

Would be odd if a non-HDD and HDD version differ with this, but who knows, it's Sony. When I get the chance I'll test on some friends PS3's.