Action Replay firmware upgrade???

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by beharius, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Samson

Samson Active Member

I recently got a 5-chip version as well. The new chip is a fpga, which I assume handles DRAM access and refresh, and any tweaks required for game compatibility.
    I didn't trace the connections, because I am mostly interested in the Flash side. But I guess if there is enough space and a few pins left you could add another interface.
    The firmware update CDs seem to require a chipped Saturn. I assume you could boot from a non-Saturn disc with a custom bootloader (AFAIK the copy protection is not checked if the disc doesn't have a Saturn bootsector), but the firmware update disc I've seen didn't boot on my non-modded saturn.
    (By the way, does anyone know if there is a way to get a cartridge connector that fits saturn cartridges? I'd like to build an adapter for my Eprom/Flash programmer without butchering a saturn...)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. darius-saturn

darius-saturn Site Supporter

it is not down my forum :lol:
    should not say that!

and this method allowed me to repair most poorly flashed AR
    http://saturn.netboarder.com/t2115-sega-saturn-flasher-une-action-replay

3. Unknown-Organization

Unknown-Organization <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

It usually should come with the disc software If you bought the Action Replay, Correct me If I'm wrong.

4. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Robust Member

I know this thread is old as dirt but the questions I have kinda belong here so why make a new thread?
    what is the latest version of the arp firmware currently? Is it the firmware that contains the codes? Is there a faster way to program a large library of codes (is there a library available for download even?) Rather than all by hand for the arp?

5. Saturn Team

Saturn Team Member

I couldn't even locate the 25-pin AR cart. You can still find used and new GameShark, which come with the 25-pin connector.

6. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Robust Member

So that connector is the only way to upload codes to the cart then? I was hoping someone had a recent firmware dump with a database of codes already uploaded to the cart I could just then flash with the fw update disc

7. cloudstrifer

cloudstrifer Newly Registered

Sorry about revive this topic...

I want to revert my "New All in One" from PSEUDO to original firmware.
    Somebody can help me?
    I want my 8M memory card back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. darius-saturn

9. darius-saturn

your menu should show the version, or maybe on the PCB?

10. cloudstrifer

I don't know which one is the correct firmware for my cart.
    Ok, I will provide a picture from PCB and firmware flasher.
    Thank you!

11. cloudstrifer

12. darius-saturn

The main difference between each variations of Action Replay firmware is the way to access link port (which can be connected to PC via USB Data Link device), and as your cartridge doesn't features such port then any firmware is fine.
    So for example you probably may want to select one with many cheat codes pre-installed, or save data pre-recorded according to your preferences.
    IMPORTANT : please note that after changing firmware from Pseudo Saturn to Action Replay, a modded Saturn (with modchip or ODE) or swap trick will be required to install another firmware.

Uh, thinking a little while launding midday laundry, I think the way to write the flash of Atmel chips is different from SST chips, so the memory card functionality of some Action Replay firmwares may not work well with this cartridge.
    I'm too lazy to look any further, you must be able to find this information on segaxtreme if you want to know more

cloudstrifer likes this.
  13. darius-saturn

After a little check regarding flash chips access, I could verify that AT29C010 and SST29* chips are compatible from software point of view, so backup memory feature should work with any Action Replay firmware.
    Additionally, since you have a dual boot cartridge, it would be a better idea to install Memory Cartridge Plus as it provides in-game backup memory support : Action Replay is only a storage that can be modified only from firmware's data manager.

cloudstrifer likes this.
  14. cloudstrifer

Only works on RHEA if you use FULL BOOT.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  15. darius-saturn

dada is happy :D