ACCLAIM'S complete file archive rescued

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by ASSEMbler, Mar 30, 2007.

1. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

I'd be willing to bet most of these people will bail on it as soon as they find out most of what they get isn't some super fantastic unreleased game complete in playable form too.

As for that server, I got nothin. Seems it's of Compaqs own crappy design and not a retail board of any sort.

Why won't it accept a USB or Sata card exactly? I've got some damn old machines that took USB cards without issue, it's mostly a problem of getting all the software to cooperate, at least for me. I'm also unfamiliar with the bios as a partition, never seen that as a configuartion before.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  2. opethfan

opethfan Dauntless Member

I too, am not familiar with the BIOS being on the HDD. Surely it must be on the BIOS chip, in order to boot up and identify the HDD and load the OS. Also, as long as it has working PCI ports, it will accept any card, OS permitting (IE Windows NT probably won't work, but Linux 2.6 or Windows 2003 will). If the system won't boot from an ATA or SATA card, you need a BIOS update, to configure the BIOS so that add on cards are higher on the priorities list (that's on my system at least, but I don't have an ATA card right now), or the card doesn't support booting, but I've never found one that doesn't.

BTW, I know it's not all unreleased games and astonishing secrets of the video game industry, but I still want to help when and where I can.

3. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

It has a bios, but uses a partiton for all relevant info on the devices on the mainboard. This used to be common in old compaqs.

4. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

I totally agree with what Kev said - if you're only going to be in it for something specific, don't bother. That's not really helpful, it is doing something for your own interests.

Hah, virtually all Compaq servers (and certainly a large number of home desktops) that I've seen are junk. Nice laptops, though.

Kevin, the blog's up and running if you wanna use it. Just give me a shout ;-)

5. ASSEMbler

There's an up to date bios, I will try and install it.
    This machine is turning into 80 pounds of nothing.

6. kammedo

kammedo and the lost N64 Hardware Docs

Any chances to reuse the parts? Or swap the hds on other compaqs?

7. cdoty

cdoty Gutsy Member

I would be willing to help sort things out.

I'm interested in all of the systems listed. I also have some experience developing across all of the systems, so I should be able to compile complete projects into their final form, if needed.

This is an amazing archive, I can't wait until it's released to dig through some of this stuff.

8. drx

drx BLAST PROCESSING. SITE SUPPORTER 2015

Well, wouldn't it be better to assign different games/projects to smaller groups of people interested in a certain subject rather than giving some Nintendo game source code to some person who is a lot more knowledgable about say, Playstation programming.

If that's not possible, than I'm still willing to help in whatever way I can.

Most probably yes, but there are some people who are dedicated to prototype stuff regardless of the 'rarity' (yea even if it's a Madden game :p)

9. Gamemaster14XIV

Gamemaster14XIV The Master of All Games

The problem with the idea of giving people what they could use here from what I understand is all this vast amount of data he has is unsorted. It isnt in convienent little folders labeled what it is. The entire point of this is to sort and figure out where stuff belongs.

I am no exprienced coder or anything but I have free time and am willing to help in any way I can.

10. ASSEMbler

I'm not very experienced in setting up vpn, so this is take a bit of time.
    I want this to be secure.

11. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

I'm not quite following...so if we help kevin with this, we get dev stuff in return(not asking for anything, I'm just wondering)

12. kammedo

Actually its something more : there's LOTS of developed stuff/tools/graphics to sort out and check what they actually are; once they have been sorted and arranged they will be made public. Or this, at least, was the plan.

13. ASSEMbler

I set up the one server with lots of 64 bit slots, and it locks up with a Ultra133 card. I'm going to pull the scsi raid and wee if it will run off the u133.

The 2u is great, I am going to try and get a pci-x rider so I can use a sata raid on it. If it works, then I will junk the big , incompatible compaq.

We're getting real close to getting this online. I have to install fedora
    and config the VPN.

14. kammedo

Hell yes! Fedora core and VPN = fortress xD

15. ASSEMbler

I pulled the scsi raid card in the large serve, and it boots the ultra card no problem.

I'll have to re-install the os, but then I whould be able to do everything I wanted with the one server, and with four 64 bit slots.

16. babu

babu Mamihlapinatapai

nice to hear things moving forward :)

17. ASSEMbler

I have a game convention this week, and some other things.
    None of the old servers worked out. I got a cheap atx
    board and a pci-e raid card. Threw fedora on it.

I have to punch the board and move the dsl and
    then we are good to go. This machine will also become the
    assemblergames game server, probably for CS or Quake 3

18. kammedo

Great! How about getting some funds together for that? It surely wouldnt be too costi if we point out at first-gen PIV or similar..which should be good enugh for a linux server!

19. kammedo

*bump*ing it! Any news on this side???

20. MasterPhW

MasterPhW Indie

Bumping aswell...
    Very interested in news regarding this topic.