ACCLAIM'S complete file archive rescued

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by ASSEMbler, Mar 30, 2007.

1. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

I've taken stock of the acclaim files I have. It's some 3TB+ of 3d models, skins, sounds, art, source code, and custom tools.

I would like to share all of this with people, as it's too much for one person to go through. It would take years.

So the idea is to put this all online. However that would require
    substantial resources.

The question I put foward is this: is there enough interest in these files to
    warrant doing this.

The files consist of (roughly)
    30% models and skins
    50% code, source and unclassified files from
    1989 and on.
    20% Technical documents and custom tools.

Mind you there are some 150 dat tapes, and 300 dvds,
    and about 35 psone dev station hard drives.

The files would have to be classified by builds, as there are in some
    cases alpha through final.

The idea is to have something much like an open source project.
    It would take a team of people about a year to sort it all,
    at least.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  2. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Im interested, thats for sure. And im relatively close to you geographically, if that makes a difference.

3. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Sounds great, and i would gladly help! Maybe the datas should be divided amongst volunteers to be classified? for sure there's lot of useless crap in the middle of 3TB of items... something like dividing work...

also if there's the need i'm more than willingly to donate to keep an online archive; the custom tools and documentation must be preserved for those hombrew programmers (not me :D ) that might make good use of them...

my webspace and free time is available too in case you need.

karsten

4. TheDeathcoaster

TheDeathcoaster Game Developer

I would gladly help out! It sounds like a good cause :)

5. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

Heck, count me in too, for the help out.

6. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

sometimes the lack of enthusiasm, and helpfullness in this forum strikes me down :p

maybe if we said something bad about Nintendo in this topic more people would read it :D

i propose to change the topic name to "The archive files: nintendo sucks" to make people more interested in it :D

7. wheelaa

wheelaa FM Towns / MD Addict Site Supporter 2010-2015

Don't be down dude. Different strokes for different folks.

I'd be very interested in this but for 2 reasons....

I have very limited knowledge of the more techie side of things hence would personally be useless for things like source codes/tools etc. Could look at piccies and listen to tunes though.

Aside from collecting grossly overpriced jpmd acclaim games I have no interest in acclaim games whatsoever. I could count on one hand, one thumb even, the number of acclaim games of real interest to me from their entire time in the vg scene.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  8. ConsoleFun

ConsoleFun Gutsy Member

If this is even remotely as good as it sounds, it's a treasure chest. I live and breathe for this kind of stuff, and would love to help!

:)

CF

9. wombat

wombat SEGA!

I'm also willing to help you out with the sorting, It would be cool to archieve a kind of special 'online' database\resource centre for all things Acclaim related.

10. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

Just the sort of motivation I need to use my dtl-h2500!
    I would gladly help and donate, but how do you intend to share files in a first place, it sure will be bandwith consuming...

11. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

IronSword in there.. ?O_O

Just a rant:

I really appreciate and have high estime for people who take upon themselves to do something as big, gratuisly, but look at ASSEMbler Wiki. I think people who can REALLY commit are the target audience Kevin refers to. Simple curiosity (That even I have) is no substitute for that I m afraid though (due to lack of time for example, I wouldn't be able to efficiently contribute).

We re counting on you guys, in preserving this stuff ;)

12. peekb

peekb Spirited Member

I'm interested in the source code and dev tools and would be happy to help classify, sort, test, etc. Getting code running on dev hardware would be quite fun. Let me know how I can assist.

13. liquitt

liquitt Site Soldier

well, i'd be glad to help, too. especially when it comes to the 20% of tools and manuals :)

14. kammedo

kammedo and the lost N64 Hardware Docs

I pay 30 bucks a year for unlimited space....I'll be pleased to help you!

15. babu

babu Mamihlapinatapai

Just like the rest above I would gladly help out. But as Barc0de said I too wouldn't be able to efficiently contribute as much as I would want to, due to lack of time.

16. KR155E

KR155E Virtual Guy

I would love to help, too. Bet there's lots of great stuff to find. I would need to get a new HDD first, though. xD
    How about opening a section in the wiki, like "The Acclaim Project" or something where people can download parts of the files from rapidshare or private webspace (like kammedo suggested) and upload file listings and descriptions?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  17. WolverineDK

WolverineDK music lover

Can´t you read. That he is looking for people helping him sorting it out. And not vultures. Since vultures can come later on. He is asking for help with the sorting, and not the vulturing. Heck I know squad about source, but still I will help out. As much as possible.

18. Tachikoma

Tachikoma Officer at Arms

I would be happy to sift through models and catalogue them for you (if the viewer's included, I don't have anything currently installed like XSI or 3DS), prividing you are happy sending a copy of a DVD or two to the UK.

19. Alien Workshop

Alien Workshop Site Soldier

I would be glad to help you sort through this stuff.

20. Omar

Omar Robust Member

Kevin: Anything that looks remotely Sega 8-bit (Master System, Game Gear), I'd be glad to help to identify and label data/sources. Generally, yes, I'm very interested and I'd give it time if allowed.

Of course, it's probable that your data isn't particularly sorted this way, it's perhapstime-based increment dumps? Are the tapes/dvds labelled with dates (that would help greatly)? What strategy do you suggest? How do you even intend to have this shared?

Do you have the ressources to have everything dumped out to your own local drive(s), then as a first step, build up a list of all files along with size/dates/CRC (to help tracking duplicates). From this list, people can discuss how/where the data can be transfered for study. And the list by itself will probably help identify the most interesting parts.

Or, the same idea can be applied on a media by media basis, that's probably easier to handle. If the tapes are dated they can be processed in chronogical orders.