Acclaim dies...again

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by ASSEMbler, Aug 30, 2010.

1. 7Force

7Force Guardian of the Forum

You mean how you're forced to buy the new NBA whatever game to get some crippled version of it? Yeah, that's pretty stupid, but for once I'm glad to have a Wii.

Sorry, but Turok always sucked, unless you're a big fan of fog or retarded FPS jumping puzzles :p

2. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

yeah! i don't want a boring NBA sim, i want NBA JAM!!

3. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

for all worried about the new JAM: IT'S AWESOME! It was wonderful at PAX, if you played you entered to win a arcade cab with the new NBA Jam inside! :D

anyway, Acclaim wasn't horrible. They had some great games. :\ but like someone said, mostly crap with a few nuggets of gold

4. 7Force

Don't we all...players going on fire and making ridiculous leaps in the air! Defense consisting of shoving opponents to the ground! Big head mode! Maybe they'll make the 360/PS3 version downloadable...

That's a relief, can't wait to play it now. Anyway, I'd completely forgotten that Jam was one of the franchises Acclaim ran to the ground after getting the license from Midway: NBA Jam Extreme was crap, as were the ones for GBA/PS2/Xbox.

5. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

Turok 2 was by far the best one - good thing most of them made Retro Studios.

6. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

I see you never made it past the first chasm after the raptor on level 1.

I think the third single-player one sucked, though.

2 was a fantastic game. Even had some boob jiggle.

7. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

I just remember Turok rocking my world on the N64 as a young kid.

8. A. Snow

A. Snow Old School Member

This "good" Turok game must be like a unicorn or some other mythical shit because I've sure as hell never seen it.

9. graciano1337

graciano1337 Milk Bar

Probably because you weren't 10 years old when it came out like me. I had no sense of good or bad games at that age. If it was a video game I played it and had fun every time. :lol:

10. phate

phate Enthusiastic Member

QFT! I played all sorts of games that if I played now, I would consider absolute crap. But back then they where way to much fun.

11. Barc0de

Back when Turok 1 was released consoles didn't have anything like it. Sure the fog was awful but the theme and the dinos made up for quite a unique experience if you didn't own a 360 - which no one did at the time.

Turok 2 was awesome in every single way - easily one of the best shooters on the N64. The expansion pak really made the graphics shine too and all that weapon variety kicked ass. Anyone remember the Cerebral Bore? Pure fun.

Rage Wars was made and released around the same time that Quake 3:Arena hit the market, making it a viable alternative for N64 owners - although I myself hugely prefer Q3:A, it's actually one of my favourite FPS multiplayer games ever made!

Lastly, Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion was a mixed bag. The story was stupid(er) and despite the technology being well crafted the game wasn't memorable - and it's no surprise, considering how the Turok 2 team had mostly moved on and out of Acclaim.

Turok Evolution was trash.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  12. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Ditto.

I'm sure you could learn to put up with them if an N64 was all you had in 1997, but let's not pretend they were any good.

13. 7Force

I'm convinced it was a mass delusion by N64 owners so they could pretend it had more games worth playing than the handful it did have :) Kinda like my N64-owning classmate saying, at the time, that Mace: The Dark Age was good, even though it was obviously a pile of crap.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  14. Barc0de

I m sorry, did you say that FPS games were better on, say, a Playstation 1? Tenka was crap and that was about the same time Turok 1 was out, no?

also, reviews at the time clearly praised Turok at launch and Turok 2 on XMAS 97, you guys seem to take modern standards to judge old games..weird. By the same coin Goldeneye is a piece of crap today, considering the framerate, the low resolution graphics and the "blur".

15. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

Uh, no. PC FPS games were miles ahead throughout the PSX/N64 generation.

Yes, it is. There are very few console FPS games from that era that I consider playable today. If you wanted to play FPS games in those days you either had a PC or you were stuck with a poor alternative. Is any of this particularly controversial?

16. 7Force

Yeah...I was never a big FPS fan, but I played PC games a lot more in those days, and compared to FPS games on PC, a blurry fogfest with stupid platforming didn't impress me much. At least Goldeneye had fun multiplayer.

17. Barc0de

not everyone had a PC Alchy back then, don't play uninformed, I know you were around back then too you old fox:p

18. Alchy

Alchy Illustrious Member

That's kind of my point. The people who didn't have PCs had to make do with weak console FPS games.

It'd be like being an RTS fan these days and owning only a console. Sure, you can play those games, but really you want a PC.

There are some things that some platforms just aren't cut out for.

19. swaaye

swaaye Rising Member

Turok was relatively awesome until Goldeneye came out. But Rare really took the focus away from Turok, to say the least. ;) The damned backtracking and jumping puzzles with that slipperly movement made me want to injure cute animals and I don't like feeling that way. Now if you play the PC version of the games, mouse control makes it much more enjoyable, aside from the backtracking-for-hours part.
    omg count me in too on the W&W love!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  20. alecjahn

alecjahn Site Soldier

I'm just going to repeat how good Turok was.

I think everyone just has their panties in a bunch because they were used to the juvenile default controls of other FPSs from the era.