A'can: An ill-fated console from Taiwan (English subtitled)

Discussion in 'Rare and Obscure Gaming' started by DSwizzy145, Oct 26, 2017.

1. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

Been looking forward to this "documentary" video for the longest time since the guy has done it in his native language but a "Dubbed" or English Translation script of the video has never been done till now! People like him on YouTube deserves more credit on the site!

ItsMeMario, dyer60 and speedyink like this.
  2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I watched this yesterday. Very happy it was made available in English. It's fairly easy to understand too.

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  3. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

We had a super acan collector and enthusiast here... can't remember his name lol

4. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Nice! This seems like it will be pretty interesting. I'll definitely give it a watch. I haven't heard all that much about the system.
    I think I know who you're talking about but I also can't remember the name. I think the logo was found in his/her signature or something like that.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  5. karsten

Btw i find the games to be better than the guy in the video states, and a couple of them wouldn't mind playing if they were around in english on same emu :D

6. dyer60

dyer60 Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015,2016

This was a great watch and an important recording to help document and preserve the consoles history.

I think there are a few collectors and enthusiasts around.

I’m pretty sure @wheelaa has a collection of A’Can games?!?!?

7. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

^ the guy you are talking about had "I'm pro A'can" in his signature.

8. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

Actually a few of those games are available on MS-DOS already (if anyone know how to hack DOS games) could translate those versions instead.

9. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

That's it. Where is he/she? They should be all over this thread.

10. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Surprised people remember that sig. That's me! Only just recently deleted it because I never see people's signatures so just assumed it's not even displaying anymore.

It's surprising no one touched A'can sooner, this guy did a good job. I'm not exactly sure where his info about Rebel Star being samples that leaked came from, always thought it was just a game that had very limited production.

Since we're talking about A'can again, It's worth pointing out I tried contacting former A'can devs before. A few months back I got in touch with the former general manager at Funtech who unfortunately said he has no materials left over from those days. I showed him the 32x ripoff attachment that was planned and he confirmed it was only ever a concept and never went into development. I found the former sound programmer for Speedy Dragon who had nothing to share. There's also TomSoft who previously worked on the fighting game 鳥籠院(Birdcage Yard), but sadly same deal, didn't save anything.

I wish I could find more people but they've become pretty elusive. It would be neat if someone out there held onto the code for any unreleased games, but I'm sensing the immense failure of the console and all didn't encourage anyone to hold onto their past work.

BTW, the only DOS games that were ported onto A'can were African Adventures and Sango Fighter. As the guy pointed out, Super Dragon Force is an updated version of the DOS game and almost is a whole new game. Super Taiwanese Baseball League was released on the Megadrive in Taiwan and is a cheap port.

If anyone out there is really into A'can, I implore you to send your undumped games to Kevtris to get them preserved. I sent him my carts of Son of Evil, Speedy Dragon, and C.U.G, which gave a good boost to MESS's emulation support, but that sadly wasn't enough to get emulation perfected. I think the only games not dumped are Magical Pool, Rebel Star, and Formosa Duel. The rare times they do show up on auction they're stupidly expensive, unfortunately. Rebel Star is likely going to never happen unless some collector opens their heart.

karsten likes this.
  11. karsten

Son of Evil sounded ike an interesting game.

12. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Gaming aficionado raised by family & friends.

Besides @wheelaa, i think the other A'Can fan was @Tomleecee.

13. DarkKobold

DarkKobold Member

I'm also a huge A'can fan! I'm currently only missing 3 games - Formosa Duel, Rebel Star, and Taiwanese Baseball League. I've got a lead on a copy of Formosa Duel. I'll also have some A'can games to trade soon!

I've been trying to find anyone who owns a copy of Rebel Star, but it might be one of the rarest games out there.

14. Youloute

Youloute Robust Member

DSwizzy145 and KGRAMR like this.
  15. KGRAMR

I can maybe find some scans about the systems on other magazines at Wayback Machine to keep this going. Good find :)

16. DarkKobold

DarkKobold Member

I have Magical Pool and Formosa Duel - however, according to this website, they've been dumped?

https://www.mess.org/dumping/games_needed

I can't find the ROMs to them, but they *should* exist. If I ever track down Rebel Star, I'll be sure to get it dumped.

17. KGRAMR

It's best to dump those 2 online 'cause you never know if they're been dumped before ;)

18. XxHennersXx

XxHennersXx I post here on the toilet sometimes.

Really cool to see this. I've always been intrigued by the super a'can and have wanted one for some time...

19. KGRAMR

Hey @DarkKobold, do you still plan in dumping Magical Pool & Formosa Duel online? Just to make sure they're properly dumped ;)

20. Darkhero

Darkhero The Future Is Now

Very interesting. I've heard of this console for a while but never really knew much about it.