A simple switch mod for Phoebe(21pin model Saturn ODE)

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by SONIC3D, Jan 24, 2016.

1. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

I helped several friends purchased Phoebe.Most of them have multiple Saturn.To make things easier,I tried to create a low cost switch mod for this ODE.Here are images during my attempts.I would like to share it to other people who also purchased this ODE.

Caution:

1.DO NOT use wrong switch setting for your Saturn.It may cause problem or even damage to your Saturn or Phoebe.Especially "prolonged short SJ1 on Type-4 Saturns can cause some damage,not right away but it's definitely not a safe setting",comes from the original comments of author Deunan Knute.

2.Flat cable socket on Phoebe is not ZIF type(Zero Insertion Force).That means plug in and pull out for too many times may cause the pin bending or damaged. Author Deunan Knute has clearly warned me about this situation.

3.Soldering skill should not be that bad.As the soldering point is relatively small.Bad soldering skill or long time heating may damage the soldering point or components on board.Don't ruin your board if you are not familiar with soldering.Try call someone good at it to help you.

When you receive your Phoebe,the jumper setting would be like this if you have not specified your Saturn model:
    0.JPG

So here is the Mod attempts:
    Initially I tried to install the switch mod with pin head like this.The size is 2.0mm.
    1.JPG 2.JPG
    The interval is rather too much for the triple pin place.So try to make them closer.
    3.JPG 4.JPG
    Finally,the soldering result:
    5.JPG
    It looks great.But after my friend received it.The pin head is broken because I packed it too tight in package.And it damaged the soldering point on PCB.

Damn!!!! ( X_X

So I changed my way of the mod,use soft cable with double/triple slot DuPont head:
    6.JPG
    Finally,the soldering result:
    7.JPG
    Much better and not easy to be damaged!
    And finally I got the broken PCB and fixed it using the similar way:
    8.JPG

Hope it is useful to any one who have multiple 21pin model Saturn and purchased Phoebe.
    =D

2. Druidic teacher

Druidic teacher Officer at Arms

x

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  3. SONIC3D

SONIC3D Spirited Member

Yes.Not that needed for most users. Only for people who have Saturns in multiple mob type or decide to lend this ODE board to friends who have different mobos in types.
    And especially for anyone who plan to mod it like the first method I applied. It should be reconsidered.