A Proper introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction Forum' started by sxsic, Apr 10, 2019.

1. sxsic

sxsic Newly Registered

So i've lurked around for a while, didn't even realize I made an account like 6 years ago, I've been a technician for a long time now and love to do horrible things to electronics, currently im on a non-disclosure project swapping flash chips at work, so yeah i solder, can you class III? I can class III :) Anyways!!!! I'll probably post some gnarly mods, expect great things :) I recently bought a DTL-H1000, I plan to do some stuff to it to upset collectors everywhere :)

jollyroger and Pinta77 like this.
  2. iiAlexLiveii

iiAlexLiveii Rapidly Rising Member

You like to see the world burning, right? Do your worst! :D
    Welcome, and share your stuff, it will give something to talk about among the community.

(No, I can't class III, and don't know what it means.)

3. Nano Babe

Nano Babe Robust Member

Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

4. sxsic

sxsic Newly Registered

Class III refers to High Performance Product electronics, stuff that isn't suppose to fail and its dependability is crucial, in a nutshell this is like NASA-grade equipment, pacemakers, you know? where it has to be right, it cannot be wrong, etc etc. This also comes from the IPC A610 and IPC 7711/7712 rework sections of the IPC certification, if you're serious about soldering, I strongly recommend pursuing these kind of certifications.
    Anyways, im from South Bend, Indiana, home of Notre Dame and an alarming crime rate. I've played around (chip modding) since I was about 11 years old, currently looking into pursuing an electrical engineering degree. I'll have to post some pictures of stuff, nothing too fancy as of yet but I have a couple playstation's that I plan to do terrible things to, latest project will involve manually reading the IC102 from the DTL-H1000 and SCPH1001, comparing differences in code, main part is the instruction set for the graphics chip, they have different forms of video memory (vram vs sgram), so atleast at this point one major difference between the japanese 1000's with Svideo and the american 1001's is that graphics chip, its a different chip all together on the older one, lower pin count, different part number, older one has two big eeprom looking ram chips next to it, in that location on a 1001 you will find a higher pin count graphics chip and a single SGRAM module. way different looking. I want to convert the 1000 into a region free system all together, since that seems to be the common myth about them. Might as well make it do it, right?
    Hope you'll enjoy the coming posts

5. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Well, I can tell you a few things that might save you some time :)

First of all, the DTL-H1000 is identical to the SCPH-1000 with the exception of IC304, which is the CD mechacon - the one in the DTL-H1000 is programmed to ignore the wobble on the disc and treat any disc that has an XA data track as track 1 to be "licensed".

They use exactly the same boot ROM as the SCPH-1000, but there are two versions - the original version had a bug in it where it would read the license sectors from the disc, verify they were correct for a Japanese disc and would refuse to display the license screen if they didn't match. The bug was that it would then boot the disk anyway, just without displaying the black "PlayStation" license screen - the later version fixed this and if the check failed it would stop the boot process.

Most of the DTL-H1000s seem to have the older boot ROM, which makes them effectively region-free - the wobble isn't verified because it's a debug and the license check doesn't work because of the bug - so if you put a NTSC:U/C or PAL disc into the machine it will boot but skip the black license screen. If you have a machine with the newer ROM, it will only boot NTSC:J discs.

The old GPU + VRAM arrangement is also the same as the SCPH-1000 (along with the SCPH-3000 and early SCPH-1001s and SCPH-1002s). In the Japanese market, the new GPU and SGRAM (aka "Rev C") was introduced with the SCPH-5000, but in the NTSC:U/C and PAL markets it was handled as a running change without any changes to the part number.

svotib likes this.