A possible Sonic 1 Alpha found

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Jazoni89, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

You can check the retro thread to find out :p

I sometimes wonder why people bother sharing those youtube links publicly. It just invites so many different people messaging the person and flooding them with emails all asking the same thing. It becomes so ridiculous how unaware they are that everyone else is also messaging the same person, but somehow they think their message in particular will be "the one" that gets through to the guy and gets him to share info.

The guy who made this fake is doing a pretty good job so far. All the longworded posts trying to decipher things, this troll's got you all good lol. But at least one good thing might come out of this if we get those scans :) Just hope everyone stops messaging the poor guy(the guy with the magazine in case I'm not making sense =p), inbox is probably flooded by now.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

No they've just come to light in the last 24 hours spotted in a video of a magazine being read.

They look different to what we already have.

3. Team Fail

Team Fail Active Member

Well, if it's a hack, then why wouldn't there be an HUD? It'd be difficult to remove the whole thing.

I think it's real.

4. rika_chou

rika_chou <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

More than likely, it's not a hack but a fan-game not even running on a genesis. Also, removing the hud in any of the Sonic games would not take more than couple minutes.

5. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Nah, you could run it in an emulator and remove that layer. Very easy to do even on the real game.

EDIT:Oops, beaten to it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  6. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Can anyone translate Yuji Nakas quote on twitter?

7. pedro

pedro Spirited Member

its translated over on sonic retro forums just look it up there.

8. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Robust Member

Is anyone fluent enough at Japanese in order to contact the uploader? Perhaps he doesn't speak English..

9. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

Upon first glance this looks real enough, but then Sonic fans have proved their need to analyse in greater depth, which is where the credibility of this latest footage literally falls apart at the seams. Providing most of the basic appearance is accurate enough (which it seems to be), even a poor hoax could potentially confuse the likes of Yuji Naka, and I doubt he - along with the rest of us - will ever get our hands on a playable copy of this... I suspect it would either come in the form of a Megadrive ROM or TGF/MMF file!

On the other hand, if this does turn out to be a genuine prototype, it's possible that a few minor changes were made with every build the then-yet-to-be-named Sonic Team created. Of course, the fact this video was taken without the "owner" showing off the cartridge or even a console to demonstrate this running on actual hardware suggests my earlier comment about this being little more than some kind of homebrew product. The chosen camera angle and lighting helps hide a few minor details, though as I said before as well, some people have already noticed such faults.

I'm fairly sure that at least someone here must have access to Yuji Naka apart from via his online blog, and it would be great if they could ask him more regarding his awareness of the fangame scene surrounding the Sonic in general. For example, if he was fully understanding of the fact that countless attempts have been made to recreate the earliest Sonic 1 prototypes over the years - both in the aforementioned TGF/MMF and by means of ROM hacking, not to mention some even programming their own custom engines for such a hoax - and just how easy it was to achieve convincing results, would he still regard this a genuine find without more evidence? Let's see what happens next...

10. Bramsworth

I can talk to him in Japanese(and I swear not some shitty beginners stuff or Google translator either :p), but what's the point. They probably wouldn't respond. If they cared enough they would have given more proof by now. In situations like this it just reaches a point where they should either give more info themselves or just get lost. Enough with the begging, they aren't listening nor do they care :x If this were real the guy would make more of a fuss about it rather than just post ambiguous videos and then remain silent just to keep people wondering.

11. BLUamnEsiac

BLUamnEsiac ɐɹnɔsqO ʇᴉq-8

I'm not going to weigh in the futile real/fake debate, but I do find it really interesting that Yuji Naka specifically mentions doing scrolling tests (multiple scrolls). And that's exactly what this video shows. Sprite accuracy and other things aside, the way the trees in the background and foreground scroll is definitely unique. So unique, that it should be unmistakable to someone who was involved in making it. If it turns out to be real, great! If not, I wager that a tester/programmer or someone else who played an early build created this. Food for thought. :)

12. djemotion

djemotion Spirited Member

13. LocalH

LocalH Spirited Member

I call it fake. The title screen matches that of retail, and not the early build (note the width of the "SONIC" logo, the fact that in the authentic proto you can see the blue part of the big ring above the SEGA logo, and the size of Sonic's right pupil).

This hoaxer has a good eye for detail, however. It'll be quite interesting to see how this pans out.

14. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Robust Member

He did answered some replies. Could you at least give a try?

15. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

that is fucking amazing ..
    if it is a hoax its 99% as close to the real thing that you will ever see.

16. Weinflames

Weinflames Spirited Member

Ok, after seeing the third video, I must confess I'm quite impress. I couldn't have figured the design of the banner out from the scan we all have. However, comparing the screenshots and the video, it is obvious that they are NOT the same version. Might be real, sure, but the elements differ in location and size. Just compare the mountains and the palmtree.

PS: Just saw this on sonicretro: http://i.imgur.com/rjidz.jpg More reasons to think of it as a fake. I guess those details are so tiny that the "faker" didn't notice them.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  17. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

My response to this: back and to the left, back and to the left.

18. Bramsworth

Everyone go to the relevant retro topic and see the new video and download link(too lazy to get them myself =p).

Anyone else ever thinking of doing hoaxes in the future should really never ever EVER use Japanese. It's pretty much the number one sign that it's a fake since there's always something off about it since the person merely used Google or something.

Anyway at least this all got Yuji Naka speaking? :p

19. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

oh it is a fake then but still this is the only way we will ever have the chance to play something close to it ..how come naka dose not have one anyway

sonic 1 proto (fake)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?4b2n4542b5ymqmb

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  20. Jazoni89

Jazoni89 Member

It's fake guys, false alarm... :crying:

The guy has given a link to the hoax if anyone is interested in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHww2XeqgdU

I have to give it to him though, because It sure as hell fooled me.

Bravo! :clap: