A possible Sonic 1 Alpha found

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Jazoni89, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Jazoni89

Jazoni89 Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHtzXzu2BDA

Ladies and gents, this guy may have a early alpha version of the original Sonic.

It shares the same art as the original alpha screens, which has lead me to believe that this could be real.

http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/gallery/sonic-1-md/sonic-1-genesis-beta-8.gif

I have contacted him, and told him about these forums, and to contact Assembler. He says he is not selling, however that doesn't rule out a possibility of a dump.

If this is real, this needs to be preserved.

2. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Since you got this news from the Retro forums, you probably already saw the evidence they against this being real. This happens all too often and everyone should know better by now.

Fake, 100% :)

3. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

Fake 1 million times over.

So many mistakes.

4. Superrayman3

Superrayman3 Peppy Member

Pretty sure this is fake, it's probably just one of the 2 roms listed below flashed on a Genesis cart.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_1_Beta_Hoax

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_1_Beta_Remake

It would be nice if it was proven to be legit but i'm not holding my breath on this.

5. san186

san186 Rapidly Rising Member

Need more proof. People are comparing phyics/landscapes from an alleged beta to the final product or to a screenshot of a similar beta. Yeah there is no sign or title screen, it could be a very early build? Stuff changes between builds all the times.

Also remember when the sonic 4 pics first leaked? members on retro went to hell and back to prove the pics were fake which turned out to be genuine.

6. Jazoni89

Jazoni89 Member

It's not those, because those Rom remakes, and hacks, are more in line with the later beta, this shares art from the original pre alpha version of green hill.

I do agree that more evidence needs to be put to the table, but it seems pretty convincing. I don't know why someone would created a pixel perfect remake based on screenshots, and fake something like this, just to show off to a few people, it doesn't make sense to me.

Also, Yuji Naka himself posted it on his twitter that it's real. http://twitter.com/nakayuji

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  7. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Interesting..

8. Superrayman3

Superrayman3 Peppy Member

That changes everything.
    People sometimes try to make pixel perfect remakes of something just to show off their programing abilities and get attention but I am curious about this nonetheless.

Now i'm more interested in this alpha if Yuji Naka says it's real then it probably is, I mean if anybody would know it would be someone who actually worked on the game.

9. Cyantist

Cyantist Site Supporter 2012,2013,2014,2015

10. Jazoni89

Jazoni89 Member

It must be an extremely early build, maybe even as early as mid/late 1990. It might even be just a proof of concept, or a tech demo, rather than a alpha.

It must even pre-date the sign, and the blackened background green hill seen in other screenshots.

http://www.emulationzone.org/projects/ssg/tsp/sonic1/beta1.jpg

What I'm most concerned about, is that this guy might be just trolling the hell out of us for showing it, going by the lack of a follow up.

...It's Goromacida all over again. :dammit:

11. bearkilla

bearkilla Peppy Member

12. Jazoni89

Jazoni89 Member

13. Prometheus

Prometheus Site supporter 2016

The way Sonic stands, the buildings in the background, the rocks and trees in the foreground... all point to this being legit. Since Yuji Naka worked on this and has been searching for it and (him NOT confirming it's real. Sorry about the misinformation.) him not recognizing this being a fake, I think it's safe to say there is a good chance this is real.

I compared the two screenshots with the video and it looks about right. If it's a fake, then it's a damn good one considering it even fooled someone who worked on the game.

[​IMG]

The rock in the picture is exactly the same as the ones in the video, along with the trees, clouds, and bushes. The buildings (is that what those blue things in the background are?) appear to be shaped differently, but that could simply be a different set of buildings in that particular spot. We also can't see the welcome sign, but since he didn't show us the entire thing, it could very well be there. The mountains appear to be less pointy in the video, but the design and shadowing is the same as the pictures.

14. Weinflames

Weinflames Spirited Member

Yuji has NOT confirmed it is real. He's just posting the video and wondering where the ROM came from, but he's not saying "this is the real deal", as far as google can translate. Let's wait for some skilled japanese speakers to translate it.

15. Prometheus

"I was doing a scroll multiple version of What a Sonic in development from the acid. Try to guess it in front of palm trees and rocks? I wonder does this ROM came out from? But good old days." Thank you, Google Translate. :rolleyes:

Well truth be told it doesn't seem like he outright confirms it being real, but if it was a fake, he would have said something. If anyone would know about it being fake, it would be him. The fact that he seemingly doesn't mention it being fake and the fact that he asks where the ROM came from makes me lean toward this prototype being real. I guess time will tell.

16. Weinflames

Definitely, I totally agree with you. Maybe I didn't express myself right. I meant it could be such a good fake that even Yuji took it as real. A picture of the cartridge might be harder to fake, as probably only the Sonic Team knew how it looked like.

So yeah, fingers crossed! :)

17. Prometheus

I've been reading a lot about what people have been saying on the retro forums, and I'm starting to think this may not be as legit as I previously thought.

The Sonic in the video has many differences from the Sonic in the picture. They were so obvious, I feel foolish for not noticing it before. If you pause the video when he zooms in on Sonic and compare it to the picture of him standing, the differences become clear. Alpha Sonic had longer, thinner arms and legs, slightly different ears, head angled differently, and his spikes are shaped differently. The Sonic in this video has shorter arms and legs, and his hands don't appear to be as open as seen in the picture.

The graphics of the landscape also were not as precise as I previously thought. They both look extremely similar at quick glance, but further inspection shows a few key differences. (Pics from original thread on retro forums: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=27879&st=0)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These differences don't automatically mean the video in question is a fake. It could possibly be a newer build that the one we're all thinking of, or... it could be a fake. :shrug:

18. Motwera

Motwera Member

-nevermind-

the person who registered on sonicretro is not the guy on youtube himself

19. Twimfy

Twimfy Site Supporter 2015

There's trolls trolling each other now. It's getting silly.

New images have been spotted in a Japanese MD magazine called Beep. If clearer scans can be had then this video may still stand a chance at being genuine if it can be proven that there were alternate versions.

I'm still really skeptical but I want to believe. This is one of my holy grails.

20. Weinflames

Are those scans already available?