A 'lil help with dashboard error 21 on modded Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by Azathoth, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Azathoth

Azathoth Spirited Member

Error 21 fixed, .xbe resets with conflict with bios/patcher?

Thanks for the suggestions. Managed to get my error 21 problems fixed via Hexen by deleting everything from C and E and starting from scratch. Currently have a 300gb HDD and Enigmah-X chip, due to the chip being old as the hills and not supporting a large HDD I had to install a softmod (UDE) to have G functioning. Had everything setup and working for years until that error 21 hit, now I've got everything back to normal but have a weird issue.

Certain homebrew .xbe's won't load, they just reset back to the dash. Doesn't happen on anything commercial, and it happens regardless of what partition the file is located on. Examples off the top of my head are FBA-XXX and UnleashX among others. They are recognized by the EvoX dash but when selected (or when selected by boxplorer or any file browser) they start to load then flip back to the dash.

Now, here's the weird thing. After the clean dash install (but not the softmod) F & G are not even seen due to the limitations of the Enigmah-X chip. However, I could pop the Hexen disc in and go to the included file browser and view everything on all partitions and load anything I wanted.

These same .xbe files that won't load? If I pop in the Hexen disc then go to the file browser and manually run them they work flawless.

What the hell is my problem? Why would these .xbe files not load from anything but work fine when loaded via the Hexen disc? Also, why can I view the F & G partition via Hexen disc without the softmod installed? Any input is appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. ToxicMedz

ToxicMedz Enthusiastic Member

I would try taking things out of the equation, if the modchip is installed by pins and not soldered in I would pop it off and see how it works only running with only the softmod running. It it doesn't work that way, remove the softmod and try with only the chip.

But it sounds like the dash xbe files got messed up somehow. Error 21 generally means a unknown fault "anywhere" caused the xbox to restart. But I'm sure you've already tried replacing those files.

Does the xbox still run fine if you have the resolution set down to 480p? If it does you may also have a very bad overheating problem with the gpu. Soo many different possible issues with that code.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  3. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

If your system has a modchip, just use AID and start from scratch.

4. Azathoth

Azathoth Spirited Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate any input.

Will AID uninstall any remnants of this UDE softmod and also include a stock MS dash?

I'm really pulling my hair out over this. The softmod I have installed is a UDE package using 007, I tried to uninstall it and it won't uninstall, citing that it can't find the original MS dash. I tried replacing C:\xboxdash.xbe several times with different versions of the .xbe I have but it would never proceed with uninstallation.

Next I deleted the entire C:\ and also the TData and UData folders on E:, restored C: using a backup I had made prior to installing the softmod. When powering back on I could see immediately that the softmod was still in effect because the power LED went to yellow then it booted the EvoX dash from E:\dashboards. Games and apps still showed up but I couldn't boot anything from anywhere, everything sat froze on the EvoX dash after selection.

Went back and restored my C: as it was prior to deleting and I'm back to square one; error 21 when booting MS dash from any location and freezing when choosing any .xbe located on F or G. I also noticed UnleashX will freeze for some odd reason if I try to run it from the apps menu.

EDIT.
    One additional thing I tried was running the update.xbe from a few games I have installed on my E partition. Prior to the softmod that would always overwrite my EvoX dash with the stock MS dash and I'd have to FTP the files back over. Now it does nothing, it says it's updating the console and when it reboots the softmod is unaffected and the MS dash still crashes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  5. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

Nope, there's various selections on the disc so you can choose what you'd like to do. Mainly you select Modchip one click installs and go from there.

6. Azathoth

Azathoth Spirited Member

Updated original post with xbe issues, any help is much appreciated!

7. ToxicMedz

What version dash are you running and are these homebrew apps/games supporting that dash? Ive had issues that I ran into when I was first getting into modding my xbox's where I was trying to use a old custom dash for EvoX and a newer emulator program. It would see the Emulator fine but when I tried launching it, it would mess up and reload the dash instead of loading the emulator..

Could be something to look into or could just be something completely unrelated. I was experimenting with the files I had at the time (being too lazy to hunt down new ones)

8. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

Make sure all xbe patching is disabled in the evox dash & IGR is disabled also.

if that fails you could try my softmod, I just finished it a few days ago & its up for open testing (it works fine for everyone that tested it in the closed testing & on all 3 Xbox's I tested hundreds of times.) all you would do is burn the extras disc & select an option to upgrade your softmod.

9. ToxicMedz

Where can your softmod program be found?

10. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

http://theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=44455

this softmod was designed to be simple & user friendly also secure in that the end user can't break the softmod, unless the go out of there way to do so. ie, they can't break it by accident or from the xbox its self.

well the latter is technically not true, if they used a disc that disabled the shadow c protection & deleted there C drive files then that's from the xbox, but that falls under deliberately doing it & going out of there way to do so.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014