A couple of dumb questions about Mega EverDrive

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by webrat, May 31, 2012.

1. webrat

webrat Member

Hi all,

Sorry if this was already addressed, but I couldn't seem to find a clear answer...

I understand that the MegaEverDrive is capable of running 32x rom files if the user has a 32x adapter for their Genesis, but what about Sega-CD?

Can the MegaEverDrive run Sega-CD images at all?
    If the answer is yes, does it require owning the Sega-CD hardware (I don't have this, and it's pretty hard to come by :sorrow:)

Thanks!

2. Chewieshmoo

Chewieshmoo Spirited Member

No not at all, even if you had a SegaCD hooked up the Everdrive is still loading TO the cartridge slot of the Genesis/Megadrive so it would not be utilizing the SegaCD hardware. I find it funny people even ask this, (Yes it has been asked a few times) do you not think if it could load and run SegaCD games (which would be large disc image files BTW not small ROMS) it would be a feature made very evident? I mean it would be advertising such an awesome feature clearly.

3. lnx64

lnx64 Robust Member

While correct, it's not going to magically be able to load ISO's, a Sega CD can in fact be accessed via the cartridge game.

There are two examples that do this, Pier Solar, and Flux..

4. webrat

webrat Member

Are you referring to the 32x/cd games?
    Does the MegaEverDrive play 32x/cd games if you have the original cd game, and the 32x rom on the megaEverDrive?

5. lnx64

lnx64 Robust Member

That didn't make sense to me.

Pier Solar is a Genesis game that is new. It can use the Sega CD to play extra soundtracks in a game, if you have the soundtrack CD inserted. Flux is a music CD visualizer. It's still a Genesis cartridge. You put it in, turn the system on, and it takes your music CD's and turns them into a disco, like the Atari Video Music, basically, but cooler.

The EverDrive isn't going to play CD or 32X/CD games at all. If you have the original CD game, then you don't need a cartridge to play it.

6. StoneAgeGamer

StoneAgeGamer Intrepid Member

If the MegaED could play Sega CD ISOs you'd be damn sure that this feature would be known by all.

7. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

I asked this a while back too. Stupid question. It's obvious that the Mega ED can't load CD ISOs through cart slot. The CD get's its data through the disk reader connection and not the cart slot through the expansion port the CD drive plugs into. Best way to get CD ISOs playing off of a memory card: Someone makes a CD emulator that plugs into CD PCB in place of the CD drive. Might be a worth while endeavor for anyone adventurous enough to try it. I know I'd buy one if it existed. Perhaps the next Everdrive: The ED MCD. "Everdrive Mega CD."

8. webrat

webrat Member

I'm referring to Mega-CD-32X games (sorry if I wasn't being clear). Games like Fahrenheit or NightTrap and Corpse Killer -- there were only like 6 or 7 of these games in total I think.

They require both 32x and sega-CD. So if I already have the CD, would the MegaEverDrive be able to take care of the 32x half of the equation?

9. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

Mega ed does not emulate 32x, so you should have 32x addon for play 32x or cd32x games

10. lnx64

lnx64 Robust Member

Yea and only way to emulate the 32X would be to basically have the video overlay cable too.