a casemod once again, today's target is a ps2

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Mugi, May 12, 2009.

1. Mugi

Mugi Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

after few painfull weeks of waiting some parts to arrive, I finally parsed together and completed this facelift for my beloved V9 that's been in bits and pieces on my bookshelf for nearly a month now.

some of you gave me some nice feedback of it when it was stil pink and looked like this:

[​IMG]

I must admit that i liked it pink and since i like pink in general it took me a bit of shaking to get over it and start redoing the case again.

So enough about irrelevancies i guess, Here we go with few (crap quality again) pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the color is a custom gradient gunmetal grey i had mixed up just for the case, so there should never be another with the same shade as mine is :)

the fan on the side is a 120mm full metall 2500rpm "high-end" pc fan (that's what the shopkeeper said :p)
    i chose this because the frame of the fan is actually a heatsink so it does look badass and it's also same color with the logo.

a tiny bit of internals had to be reworked for the fan too, as seen from the second picture.
    i added an external switch for the fan, since it takes it's power directly from the PSU's 12V output rail, it would run all the time as long as the main power is turned on. And believe me, the noise it makes is infernal.

the PSX 2 logo was originally just "PS2" but i like the sound of PSX2 more so decided to correct the typo out of it.

now... the quality of the paint job isn't exactly as good as i wanted but it's been painted twice now so it obviously shows a bit. The case is starting to be quite damaged by now.

i think it came out quite nicely overall and im happy with the more or less nice looking results.

comments are more than welcomed as usual but be gentle, im am but a hobbyist afterall and this is quite much the first attempt i've made to produce something with even a bit of a "pro" casemod look.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. MentalMan

MentalMan Spirited Member

Haha, looks like "mad scientist meets pimp".

Not my cup of tea but its certainly a funny idea. Good idea to fit a switch for the fan, what is it like playing it, 360? ;)

I dont even know if the ps2 needs any more cooling, even with an HDD attached, did you had problems with heat?

3. Mugi

it does sound like 360 indeed. mostly because the fan used is a high speed one and since im a cheap person i didn't bother to hunt down one with double bearing. it's definitely not something you'll keep running during gameplay.

The original idea behinf mounting an extra fan did come from the need of it.
    the console doesn't actually need extra cooling or anything even with long sessions during normal use, However, since i do obscure things with the console just for the sake of doing them, I used to keep it as an FTP fileserver which brought up the heat issue.

It will overheat under a constant load when working with HDD after about 50+ hours. i've managed to go on about 72 hours at best until it finally gives up.

tested the same with no case and a big ass fan pointed to it and had it running for around 9 days under constant use so i guess the heat was the issue.

on this mod it's nothing but a decoration but i thought that since im mounting a fan on it, might aswell make it usable. Here's the result :p

4. MentalMan

Oh I see, that was a logical move for such situations. PS2 does make a funky FTP, mine has a old 10gig HD or something like that, yea its pretty pathetic size wise but the only spare laptop drive I had around. So now, my ps2 sounds like a retro computer :lol:

Talking about playstations with fans, I sometimes wondered what the ps1 would be like with some more cooling. The damn PSU on my unit does do a considerable amount, of course nothing life threatening to the console, but after a long run I feel some pity for it.

Do you know these weird HDD fans? mostly on a metal case that you can screw under the drive and (on my one) 2 little cheap fans blow the drive. I thought one of them would be suitable.

Of course all of that is kinda pointless but hey, its fun!

5. Mugi

I did concept a version of my psx where the case would have a 40mm cpu fan mounted above the PSU, but I didn't actually get around doing that.
    Afaik the psx's (especially the old ones that have the drive on the PSU side) tend to have some issues with heat affecting the drive after a while, so mine being a 1001, i'll propably do it sooner or later.

as for with your ps2 drive, if it's a 2,5" drive it would propably work with a mountable HDD fan assuming that it will still fit inside the HDDbay with the fan mounted. I can't imagine anything that would mess things up there.
    Tho i gotta admid that I don't know much about them really.

6. MentalMan

Cool! If you ever happen getting around starting that i'd be very interested.

About the heat affecting the drive, interesting you mention this, I have often had suspiscions that it could mess with the drive or be a cause of skipping or read errors after a while of playing on my unit. A perfectly fine MGS disc certainly should work straight through. But with both discs, in some cutscenes it started to put them on a temporarly hold only to load what it couldnt keep up with. And this only happends after at least 20-30 minutes load along with having it unplugged before turning it back on.

There's always pot tweaking of course but that has already been done, so it rules that out I guess.

7. Mugi

it's the heat that affects the plastic parts of the drive to cause it go offsynch from it's calibration.

atleast after a while when you run it, supposedly it will return to normal after cooling down but obviously long term use causes permanent damage, resulting in a need of total recalibration, or in worst case, a new drive since after few times you simply can't raise the voltages anymore without starting to damage the coils

to my knowledge thats' also the main reason why the drive was flipped to the other side on later models.

8. Gaming

Gaming Spirited Member

Is it safe to use? That fan sticking out right there a bit scary

9. Mugi

yes it is.

It's loud and looks funny but it works fine with the fan running or without the fan running :)

i was a bit afraid that taking the power directly from the psu output would mess up something but atleast for that initial 15 minutes i tested with it, it was all ok.

if you however replicate this mod, i will completely void myself of responsibility if you burn your house :dance:

10. MentalMan

Damn, I was just about to fill a lawsuit :lol:

11. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Fan is a bit much. Maybe make a nice stainless shroud for it?

12. naskhan

naskhan Newly Registered

dude all you need now is a spoiler and some 20in spinners and you will be good.

But seriously no offense, that is the ugly as sin

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  13. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

It's like a modification for the sake of modification and placing yet more strain on the PSU. I'm not being nasty, but I don't think you necessarily thought it through.

I am wondering whether in fact you are creating cool and hot areas that will contract and expand at different ratios, possibly warping or lifting components directly under that fan.

If you really, really felt a fan was needed then I'd have gone for something a lot more suited to the job in hand. I.e. smaller.

Also, as there is the ordinary Sony fan just an inch or so from the fan you have inserted, how does it affect it's airflow? Has it become redundant? Don't remove it, it's needed for the PSU!

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  14. bobzee

bobzee [undefined]

True. Airflow is a bitch and needs careful consideration.

Found that out the hard way myself when I done the slim xbox.
    I spent more time fitting fins and finding the right fan for the job than I did modding everything else!

15. Mugi

It's primary purpose is indeed a decoration, as mentioned, it doesn't need it under normal use.

I did take into consideration that the airflow will be affected because there's now a 120mm hole instead of the case to direct the airflow to the heatsink.

i don't run the big fan on the console ever, and as far as i've used it, the stock fan still does it's job cooling down the PSU.

as Parris said, it is just a mod for the sake of modding, no more, no less.

Straining the PSU however should not be an issue with it since the fan is never used. So far i've ran it twice for a while just to test it out and show it off :p

as much as i appreciate all kinds of feedback, I do think the point was missed on this case. It is a decorative mod and a decorative mod only, functionality wasn't on my "to-spare" list when i started doing it. Only reason the fan even is usable is because i could make it so, if it were been a bit harder, i would have just cut the wires and leave it as is.

@naskhan:

opinions, opinions... :p
    I just guess i have such a deviant taste with these things because im very pleased with it's looks now.

I think it looks badass.

16. Shadowlayer

Shadowlayer KEEPIN' I.T. REAL!!

Considering the fat PS2 was fugly from the get-go, I'll say it looks cool, a little cluttered though.

BTW, why pink?

17. Mugi

i like pink :)
    the color was nice as pink, but i figured that it's time to make it look a bit less of a marshmallow, so turned it dark grey from there :p

18. bob

bob Robust Member

awesome mod and i like the simple but shiny and massive fan and the replacement PSX 2 in shiny