8bitdo receivers for NES and SNES - mini review

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Noko Bombette, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Noko Bombette

Noko Bombette Active Member

I recently bought the 8bitdo receivers to use a bluetooth controller with NES and SNES consoles. In this thread I will make a small review and I can also answer any questions you may have about them. I'm testing them with the Wii U Gamepad Pro.

Package: small plastic blister that can be easily opened. Contents: receiver and a short micro USB to USB cable.
    Instructions: some text in the package, but no instructions. I needed to check the website to see how to sync the WiiU controller.
    First use: very easy, you connect the receiver to the console then power on the console, press the receiver button to synchronize and also the sync button in your controller.
    Buttons mapping (WII U Pro gamepad): as expected in NES and SNES, all buttons are mapped by default and I think they can't be remapped.
    Lag: not noticeable for me after a session of Mario Bros 3 and Donkey Kong Country.
    Distance: I tried to play from the other end of the room with no problems, but I haven't tested to play from the kitchen for example.

Some questions:
    - Can I use the same Wii U gamepad with the two consoles or do I have to sync every time?
    > Yes, you only sync the first time. After that, you power on the NES/SNES, press A button in gamepad and it's ready.

(WIP)

8bitdo_nes_small.JPG

8bitdo_snes_small.jpg

More reviews:
    http://forum.8bitdo.com/thread-1512-1-1.html

2. PearlJammzz

PearlJammzz Member

Thanks for the review! I heard they are working on a N64 one next.

What one I REALLY want to see? One for PS1/2. Why? Cause a DS4 would be PERFECT for both of those consoles and it'd just make me the happiest little gamer ever. I want to be that gamer :p.

3. graphique

graphique Enthusiastic Member

I concur, the 8bitdo receivers are fantastic. The NES ones come with a nonsensical button mapping though. There's a firmware update you can download from their forums which fixes it.

4. plimdaddy

plimdaddy Rising Member

Holy shit that's gold! no idea this even exisisted. might bust out the snes here.

5. Auction_Sniper

Auction_Sniper Rapidly Rising Member

Are they planning on a Sega version by any chance? Would be great to do away with the 12ft of extension cable sprawled across my living room floor :)