80mm Fan Mod Much Hotter?

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by steocullen91, Sep 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. steocullen91

steocullen91 Rising Member

Hi. So I probably already mentioned that I have a 1GHz 128mb RAM Xbox that I bought from N64 freak. Anyway I was under the impression that the 80mm fan mod would make the system run cooler, where in reality it actually performs so badly. I play a lot of Rayman 3 because I love trying to get good scores in the game (which is why I spent days and found out the hex values for making the Xbox version widescreen), but I noticed the CPU temperature was idling around 54C and the GPU temp was around the same. If I played Rayman 3 for like an hour then went back to XBMC and immediately checked the temps, the CPU temp was like 69C then it would slowly fallback to 54C.

I PM'd N64 freak and it turns out that is pretty high, so I bought another 80mm fan and set it so high that you can hear the airflow pretty loudly. Even at that, it's still got a GPU temp of 54C and CPU temp of about 52C idling. After playing the game for a while it's still 65C and slowly falling. This all got the better of me, so I set up my 1.6 Xbox again and played for a bit. The GPU temp was about 36C and CPU idles around 42C. After playing, it's about 54C then slowly drops. I started to think about architecture and then I thought, well it's a completely different CPU soldered into it.

So today I done some testing and decided to take the stock fan and HDD caddy etc. from the 1.6 Xbox and put it into my 1.0 with the 1GHz CPU. It idles at a CPU temp of 42C and GPU 45C (XBMC is set to 720p also). I played Rayman 3 for about an hour then checked the temps and sure enough it was only 54C then slowly fell back to 42C.

Now my question is why would the 80mm fan mod be performing so badly? To get the same performance as the stock fan I need to use an old incredibly high RPM fan that sounds so much louder than the stock one. If I use the 2200RPM fan I bought for it and max the speed (i set it to 100% in the ind bios cfg file), I can hear loud airflow which is clearly louder and moving more air than the stock fan. Is the answer that I possibly just done a bad job at cutting the shroud or could it be something else? I's kind of puzzling me :D

2. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

I know that the HDD caddy was designed to guide the airflow for optimal cooling. Do you have it in at both tests? Are you sure the blower is correctly blowing air in or succing air out of the system? (I have no idea what it's suposed to do) It's also important that the airflow passes the cpu and gpu heatsink. The cooler the air around the heatsink, the faster that can cool the cpu and gpu.

3. Masamune3210

Masamune3210 Rising Member

Maybe the heatsinks need new thermal paste? Are they clamped down correctly?

4. steocullen91

They have new compound on them. The stock fan seems to just cool better despite moving less air that the other fans, the only thing is the fan itself has a loud whirring. When I put in another fan that is moving far more air, it's just hotter for some reason. The fan blows the air out, if I turned it backwards then the CPU would be cooler but the rest of the Xbox would be really hot then instead.

5. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

Make sure it’s a good fan, there are fans out there that have high air flow rates but they are crap. Basically the more silent they are the slower the turn and less air they push.

Best fan is a noctua 80mm. I use one in mine and I have it set to 40% fan speed at the bios level and 10% when in XBMC.

6. obcd

obcd Spirited Member

The efficiency of the cooling depends upon the air temperature around the heatsink. So for some reason, that air remains hotter after the fan mod. The bigger the temperature difference between the heatsink and the surrounding air, the faster it can transfer heat away from the cpu and gpu. So, for some reason, the hot air is not moving away from the heatsink. (The airflow will follow the easiest path) Are your new fans maybe thinner so that there is a bigger gap between the cpu heatsink and the fan itself?

7. steocullen91

Yeah I decided to buy a Noctua NF-A8 and fit it into it. I wasn't too sure about how to set it but the GPU seems to be around 50°C on XBMC. With the fan speed on 100% the CPU will be about 43°C. Would that be normal or does that mean the job I done on the fan duct was bad?

Edit: I had it at 100% in the BIOS for the time being.