US 500GB Hard Drives, a lot to go around...

Discussion in 'The ASSEMblergames Marketplace' started by AlexRMC92, Jun 18, 2015.

1. AlexRMC92

AlexRMC92 Site Supporter 2013

I wanted to put this in a second thread as it doesn't really have much to do with my other thread. If this is against the rules let me know.

Anyways, i own a server hosting and IT consulting company. We've been using Apple XServe RAID's for quite a while now for our ZFS storage system, but we've finally upgraded to SATA. So I've got a ton of extra IDE/PATA 500GB disks left over from the upgrade. At the moment it's around 28, but i still have to decommission a few more units so that number will increase.

Your probably wont find old disks like this in better shape. They have never been moved while running. They have pretty much spent all of their life in a rack. There were no reported SMART errors upon their removal from service.

They are Apple branded Hitachi drives, and Apple likes to say that they have custom firmware, but they don't. Apple just likes to put their logo's on everything. We've verified this time and time again using Hitachi's Utilities. They will work just fine in any system that takes PATA disks, such as the original Xbox or PS2. You will need a mod chip to be able to access all 500GB if you're going to throw one of these into an Xbox or PS2.

I'm asking $20 OBO + Shipping for each drive, i will come down on the price if you buy more than one. I will also combine shipping of course.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    A Toubib likes this.
  2. ToxicMedz

ToxicMedz Enthusiastic Member

So they all come back healthy with no reallocated sectors or anything negative if you run Crystal Disc on them? If So I'm Interested in a few of them! and do they Run quiet or are they a "Talkative" drive when under load?

3. AlexRMC92

Ill run crystal disk on a few of them and post the result tomorrow, all i know is that they don't report any SMART errors, but i think SMART allows for a few reallocated sectors.

And they are very quiet, I've never known apple to use a noisy drive. Even in the "enterprise" equipment.

4. MoockyLoock

MoockyLoock Robust Member

Hello
    There is the "US" flag at your topic title. Does it mean that you'll ship only in US ?
    If not, what would be the shipping costs for, let's say, 3 HDD, going to France ?
    Thank you !

5. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

US tag, means where the items come from.

6. youruglyclone

youruglyclone Spirited Member

what's the best price you can give me for 5?

7. AlexRMC92

PMed,

Still working out international shipping costs and setting up a pic for crystal disk. I didn't have any PATA capable computers at the office so I'm issuing my Xbox dev PC at home.

8. ToxicMedz

I'd likely be interested in about 5 that pass that test :) what kind of price would we be lookin at?

9. AlexRMC92

I will do 5 for $75, im still having an issue getting a machine to run crystal disk on. The one i wanted to use seems to be having PSU issues. Im going to check the storage facility tomorrow. I know i should have another one somewhere.

10. Kaicer

Kaicer Site Supporter 2014

I'm interested for 1 if they work fine.

11. ToxicMedz

Im game for that price, I'll drop you a pm later. At work ATM and my cellphone is a pain to type on. :)

12. AlexRMC92

I was able to run crystal disk today. I picked out three random drives from the set. You can ignore drive C:, this was a old SATA disk i had lying around that i installed windows on. The third drives temperature values were off because it was still cold when i ran the test. They all idle around 45 degrees C after they have been running for a while.

Sorry this took so long, my Xbox Dev PC was having PSU issues and i don't run windows or have any PATA PC's around either. I had to rummage through the old parts that i had to put something together.

As far as noise goes i can verify they are super quiet. I have them sitting next to me in my office with no PC case. I just laid out the motherboard and other parts on my desk. I can barley hear the arms moving when writing data too them.

[​IMG]

Looks like i messed up the second drives screenshot and accidentally took a second screenshot of the first drive. If you want to see it let me know, but you can still see it marked as good in the first screenshot.

[​IMG]

13. ToxicMedz

Wonderful! You will be hearing from me thats for sure :)

14. AlexRMC92

5 Sold,
    15 pending sale,
    4 available

ill be decommissioning another set of 14 in the next few days. Ill be keeping 2 for my own use, so that's another 12 that will be available shortly.

If your interested send me a PM, it's the easiest way for me to keep track of the demand.

15. Patrick

Patrick Rising Member

Send PM three days ago.. Can you please reply ;)

16. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

How the heck do server drives only have 93 power on hours???

People remember these are IDE not sata.

NOT SATA

Perfect for ps2 though.

17. AlexRMC92

The drives count down from a hex value. You can see in the top section where it's converted to a decimal representation at nearly 50k hours.

And Patrick, I've been off for a few days. I replied.

18. MoockyLoock

MoockyLoock Robust Member

Hello
    You didn't answer me about my 3 HDDs going to France.
    Is it possible ? for how many ?
    Thank you !

19. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

Schooled. I need to stop doing most of my browsing at 5am.

20. AlexRMC92

it happens lol. It's funny to see almost 50K hours and only around 40 total power-ups, which are mostly maintenance related. A lot of people call these drives Hitachi "Deathstars" because they find that they die so easily, but these have been by far the best drives i have ever owned. If only the newer HGST drives were as good.

And I'm working with my companies UPS account manager to get reduced international shipping. Otherwise you're looking at over $100 to ship anything, which is absurd. I wish exporting out of the US wasn't so expensive these days.