4x4 Evolution 2: Dreamcast

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by FuzzyFish, Sep 3, 2015.

1. fafadou

fafadou Enthusiastic Member

the project is going on ?

2. FuzzyFish

FuzzyFish Rising Member

I'm mostly focused on the PC version. I want to work on this so badly, but my free time is so fleeting it's impossible for me to work on it. If I could find someone well versed in C/C++, with an excess of free time, and a love for the DC version of the game I could see about legally getting them a copy of the source code.

There is a true wealth of Dreamcast coding knowledge here, especially regarding WinCE, multiplayer, and more. But so far it seems the DC community doesn't appear to give ready to compile commercial source code (Evo1) or a potentially unreleased game (Evo 2) much notice.

bulletbob likes this.
  3. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

That's because most people aren't coders or developers. Just gamers.

bulletbob likes this.
  4. fafadou

I did a little of C, but for measuring and ordering machines. I think my level is too low but If I can help, I will my best.

5. Ivan GR

Ivan GR Rising Member

Any update?

6. Esppiral

Esppiral Enthusiastic Member

It's dead Jim

7. corrigo

corrigo Active Member

I just sent a PM to FuzzyFish before AG closes, let's hope he'll give us more informations...or share his files...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  8. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

He is on Moddb but hasn't been logged in for a few years now.

9. FuzzyFish

FuzzyFish Rising Member

I built a Win9x machine, and got an GDEMU to work on this more effectively. But the severe lack of interest on updates to Evo 1(DC), emulator support, and lack of time to focus on this led me to shelve it for now.

I can not share the files (which kills me as it would be a huge boost to the DC programming community, and I'm pro-open source) as I had to sign an NDA.

If you want to chat more most of us are on Discord at:
    https://discord.gg/WnzKv4

americandad, bomb78 and Anthony817 like this.
  10. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Wow pleasant surprise! I just think you might need to take a look at posting it to other communities. Dreamcast-Talk is literally the most active specifically Dreamcast focused site I know dozens of new topics get posted daily, and we are getting new homebrew stuff posted there literally daily. A lot of people have joined the community the past few months and have been pumping out lots of stuff there. I am pretty sure if you posted this project there and got more people interested they would love to hear about it. In fact we were talking about maybe modding the game over there making a Dreamcast-Talk version with new trucks since they actually host multiple game nights for this game online and get a ton of people too oplay it. A lot has changed in the years since you announced it. The community is still growing every day.

Another HUGE reason I think there wasn't more interest, is myself and a lot of others who visit this site for Dreamcast related projects, typically ONLY browse the Dreamcast development subforum. This topic is way better suited for that section because it is where most Dreamcast fans go on this site.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  11. FuzzyFish

FuzzyFish Rising Member

I posted on there primarily starting in 2014, with some recompiled versions that added automatic track downloads and other items. No one really seemed to care, when a port of this would be the worst version of this game.

Same goes for a number of other DC sites and forums.

Anthony817 likes this.
  12. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

But that was then, and this is now. A lot more people are way more active on there than in years past. Trust me, if you posted about this again I bet you would get tons more interest.

I also tried contacting you on Moddb over the years to find out what happened with this project but my inquires went unanswered. I have always been the biggest fan of this project and I can promise you right now, if you posted more about this I will do everything in my power to spread the Gospel about this project. I can be your hype man. I was a public relations guy for my Battlefield 2 total conversion mod Battlefield: Korea before I ever took over the reigns for it. I was only a beta tester. Then the devs abandoned it and I became the lead developer for it. In 2016 I revived it and released the first ever version of the mod later that year.

So I got experience hyping projects up that are not even mine to begin with. If you give this another try and perhaps even take me under your wing and show me some of the ropes I might even be interested in modding that game as well. I never knew where to start with it, so somebody like yourself who has a lot of love for this game is just who I would need to get me into modding it and trying to port PC truck and track mods over to DC.

bulletbob likes this.
  13. wombat

wombat SEGA!

I would like to suggest you sign up over at ObscureGamers (https://www.obscuregamers.com), the majority of tech savvy and Dreamcast enthousiast have joined that board meaning over there your project will get the proper attention it deserves. Especially nowadays with the DreamPi being a thing and thus online gaming on Dreamcast is once again thriving, I think this is the perfect moment to get your work on 4x4 Evo recognized and more importantly played!

Anthony817 likes this.
  14. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Just joined that 4x4 evo discord, I've always loved this game, and was excited for your project.

15. Dreamcastnews

Dreamcastnews Gutsy Member

Could I suggest chatting to PixelHeart / JoshProd about helping out with this? Seems like their sort of thing.

fafadou and americandad like this.
  16. fafadou

Yeah maybe for their next release.

17. FuzzyFish

FuzzyFish Rising Member

I'll shoot them a message, and see what comes of it.

But legally, I'm fairly bound on releasing anything. And licensing is beyond a hotmess due to the number of hands that this game crossed.

Anthony817 likes this.
  18. Dreamcastnews

Dreamcastnews Gutsy Member

True, but they did manage to release stuff like Flashback and Breakers legally, so there maybe hope yet - plus they are creating a 3D racing game currently so maybe a meeting of the minds is in order ;)

19. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

He bought the games outright, like he actually owns all rights to the game Flashback and a few other games.

Yeah but that 3D racing games doesn't call them the licensed car names in game and the actual car logos will be removed aand not present on the models and textures. They just look like them and are unlicensed. A game with dozens of licensed trucks and SUV's will never happen. We have to be honest here. He would have to contact each and every single vehicle manufacturer to purchase the rights to do so. Not worth it for 1 person who would easily goo broke doing this himself. Best we can hope for is a free release from him in the form of a mod for 4X4 Evo 1, or digging deep into the games code with the SDK unit and making it happen. Also realize, it would be hard to get a license from Microsoft to publish this game since they don't license out the Windows CE SDK anymore.

Sure, on one hand I am a dreamer and would absolutely LOVE to see it, but on the other hand I am a realist and know hurdles and obstacles when I see them.

The good thing is that 4X4 Evo on DC is still highly modifiable, so even if this never happens, we can always add new cars and tracks from the PC addons.