4x4 Evo DC - Debug Executable

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by FuzzyFish, Jul 2, 2017.

1. FuzzyFish

FuzzyFish Rising Member

After fiddling around with the source a bit I finally had some success getting the debug version to compile. However it doesn't appear to want to boot on a normal DC, if anyone with an emulator/Katana setup wants to give it a go here it is.

From what I can tell it just dumps game errors, some network information on the screen, and possibly starts single-player in Slew mode if the PC version is any indication.

http://www.4x4evolution.net/Downloads/4x4Evo_DCDebug.zip

Anthony817 and jakeeeenator like this.
  2. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

might have to play with the WCE kernel image (0WINCEOS.BIN compiled by Dreamcast Image Configuration Tool in the SDK). It might not appear to boot because it's waiting for the debugger, which is what happens if you use the 'debug' WCE kernel image. Halts at 'SEGA: Produced\licenced by....' screen until it handshakes with the debugger. or its missing drivers\components

If it is waiting for the debugger, you can use a coders cable on a regular console with WinDBG if you don't have a katana

by the way, were you still planning on attempting that BBA driver? you mentioned it awhile back

Anthony817 likes this.
  3. FuzzyFish

FuzzyFish Rising Member

I only own an HIT-300, LAN adapter but I'm going to give it another try yes. Hardware coding is not something I know anything about. And I'm restarting the project to focus purely on Evo 1 as well this time around.

Anthony817 and TerdFerguson like this.
  4. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

DId you get the dreamcast source code? nice.

Anthony817 likes this.
  5. FuzzyFish

FuzzyFish Rising Member

Yes, I've had it for a few years. Legally obtained, but it binds me to an agreement that prevents me from releasing it open-source.

Anthony817 likes this.
  6. PrOfUnD Darkness

PrOfUnD Darkness Familiar Face

Cool I didn't know it. Too bad about not being able to release it, more eyes on it would be great.

Anthony817 likes this.
  7. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Oh wow I had no idea you had the full source code for the DC version! Amazing to hear this!

So you have abandoned all plans of backporting the stuff from Evo 2 to the DC game to try and recreate that game on DC? What plans do you have for just the first game? Still excited at the prospect of new content/features in the game.

Keep us updated!

8. FuzzyFish

FuzzyFish Rising Member

I just built a Win98 system, and got a GD-EMU specifically to do this. Plan is to do updates with Evo 1 on the PC/DC at the same time, Evo 1 and 2 have so many behind the scenes differences it's just well beyond my skill level/free time (They rewrote most of the physics/rendering system). To be honest I find the WinCE environment is rather brilliant as it literally is the same code base.

I know using the official SDKs is kinda no-bueno. But it's fairly easy I fire up VC 6.0 make my changes, test/perfect them on PC. Then I can just compile it for the DC once it's where I like. Debugging is still very limited as WinCE emulation support is weak, but I can dump stuff to the screen at least.

If this were Sonic, or RE I'm sure someone would care. But generally I've been greeted with crickets when I mention having source code to a DC game.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Anthony817 likes this.
  9. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Well, just know there are fans of this game who are grateful for what you are doing for us. This was my first DC game I bought in early 2001, with Shenmue being my second. So I am very fond of this game and what you are able to do now that you have the source and the proper environment set up.

Keep us updated whenever you can. I know you have been at this for a few years but it is always nice to hear progress. :)

10. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

that's pretty much why i spent so much time on half-life lol

please open source that. even if its a proof of concept driver with minimal functionality, others can pick up where you left off. and show an example of writing new drivers for WCEDC. there's such a massive amount of driver development documentation for windows ce that you should be able to get something like simple I\O. WCE is designed to be developed for unique devices so i'd imagine it'd be easier to write a driver for ce than win86 or nix

i really don't think you'll run into trouble for using 19 year old software that you can't even obtain a license for anymore

Anthony817 likes this.