40 Winks possible for Dreamcast after all

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Ivan GR, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Ivan GR

Ivan GR Rising Member

[​IMG]

Since the recently launched Kickstarter for the Nintendo 64 version of 40 Winks was created, there was buzz and rumour surrounding a possible Dreamcast port of the game being a hidden stretch goal, 40 Winks was originally released for the Sony PlayStation in 2000 with an N64 version to follow, this latter version never happened due to GT Interactive hitting financial turmoil which was a shame considering the Nintendo version was due to have a multiplayer mode not found on the 32 bit incarnation.

Well, it turns out today that after the runaway success Piko Interactive has been having with it’s Kickstarter – the game has been souring through it’s stretch goals, the team have now revealed that should the game reach 200,000 dollars, a ground up version will be developed for the Dreamcast meaning it’ll use the FMV from the PlayStation version in addition to the N64’s multiplayer. One would hope the graphics will be cleaned up slightly but this is all very exciting and really goes to show that in 2018, stranger things truly do happen in the world of Dreamcast. Although 200,000 dollars does seem a fair chunk of wedge, we think that it could very well be achievable.

Piko Interactive are no strangers to retro gaming, they’ve worked on Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Atari Jaguar and other systems, bringing unreleased games and re-released software back from the dead, this marks the first time they’ve potentially working with the Dreamcast but it’s not their first time crowdfunding, some may remember the Super Nintendo 4 in 1 cartridge from 2012/13 which was successful and released in a timely fashion.

What’s your views? Could you see yourself playing 40 Winks?

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=40 winks

Link to original
    https://dreamcasttoday.wordpress.com/2018/02/25/40-winks-possible-for-dreamcast-after-all/

rockleevk likes this.
  2. Mrneo240

Mrneo240 Enthusiastic Member

I'll believe it when I see it

3. Helegad

Helegad PowerPC

I think it's fantastic the Dreamcast is getting a second lease on life mostly via Kickstarter.

4. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Hmm, sounds like quite a task. I have my doubts since I just can't imagine that even being enough money to hire enough people who won't get burnt out. Will be interesting to see where this goes if it reaches that stretch goal.

f2bnp and DeChief like this.
  5. Mrneo240

I just don't have faith 4 developers could produce that in a timely manner (1 year or less).
    I'd love for it to happen but I'm skeptical.

DeChief likes this.
  6. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

I really wish they'd stop adding more stretch goals and focus on what they're already doing. Every time I get a backer update email, it's about a new stretch goal that they're adding and they're becoming less and less conceivably attainable under their budget. $200,000 for a boxed N64 game, plush doll, OST CD, and a controller seems like far too little.

Mrneo240 likes this.
  7. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Dreamcast version = PSX combined with Bleemcast. It's It been done many times before.

8. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Nope.

"If we reach $200,000.00 we will do a NATIVE port to the Sega Dreamcast. This means the game will NOT be emulated, but completely developed from the ground up on Dreamcast. It will be a 1:1 port picking the best features of both PSX and N64 versions of 40 Winks (FMV scenes from PSX and Co-op from N64)."

If they were doing a bleem thing I wouldn't be so worried, it's the "native port" part that worries me. Sounds like a lot more work.

Yakumo likes this.
  9. Mrneo240

So let's assume they LOVE this project and it's all they'll do. Best case dream scenario, everything except the Dreamcast port is magically donated by an outside party. Wonderful, now that means they have 200k to do the native Dreamcast port. So 4 people are working on this from hello world to full 40 winks definitive version. Ignoring any packaging, disc pressing, printing, shipping, any of that; those 4 developers can take 1 year and bring home 50k salary. If it takes longer then salary goes way down, if it takes less time then money is left over for the entire rest of the project.

Can these people hire developers to rewrite an entire game for a completely separate console, using only the compiled assets and manage to pay them something workable? Seems tough

10. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

They'll obviously (at least, I hope they will...) have a lot of resources from the N64 and PSX versions, aka. source code, assets, etc. so it's not completely out of the question to get it done under their budget, it's just that this is probably Piko Interactive's greatest undertaking so far and I don't think they're thinking things completely through. Also, is shipping included in that $200k? I was under the impression that, when backers pay for the tiers that grant them a shippable reward, it goes into a separate fund that isn't shown as part of the kickstarter total.

11. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Piko Interactive = Bootleg Shite.

Even if the game is completely remade its not a legit DC game.
    I don't understand why these people have to remake or release these games.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  12. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

That's a bit too much of a blanket statement, in general they do good work. Seeing a previously unreleased N64 game finally get released with permission (and minor involvement) from the original developers is really great in my opinion.

What constitutes a "legit DC game"? Does that mean Geist Force doesn't count, because it was never released in an official capacity?

Pinta77 likes this.
  13. Mrneo240

I think it more means games like "Ducati world racing champsichamp" that were hastily ported from the ps1 with NO changes or improvements in any fashion.

The game looks exactly like a ps1 game, even down to how it renders. That doesn't feel like a "legit" game

14. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Unless I've missed something, they haven't provided any screenshots or footage of a Dreamcast version of the game at all yet. How can you possibly know what it's going to look like?

15. Mrneo240

I was purely talking about Ducati world racing championship .

16. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

Exactly

Games like Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou have been re-released by piko and i doubt any of the original team saw any money from it.
    They are going to cherry pic the rarest games that cost the most to maximize their own profits so that people who can't afford the
    Original or don't want to pay a high price for it can instead own a worthless piece of illegitimate gaming.

I don't mind it so much when they release an unreleased game that never had any release.

In the end we will have more illegitimate games for these consoles than legitimate ones.
    Will that be a good thing ?

Anyway its out of our control :( companies like piko will remake & rehash what ever they want and in doing so the purity of the original game will be lost.

Is this really a good way to keep the DC alive for years to come ?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  17. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

What on Earth are you talking about? Judging by their blog (https://pikointeractive.com/blog/), Piko Interactive legally acquired the rights to Gourmet Sentai Bara Yarou, there doesn't seem to be anything shady or illegal going on unlike the thousands of reproduction cartridges you can buy on eBay and ali. Perhaps the original team didn't directly profit, but whoever holds the rights to the game did profit and rightfully so. Besides, how can the development team profit from people buying the original overpriced cartridge anyway? Your argument is flawed.

There's no 'purity' being lost. It's putting the game in the hands of so many people who would otherwise never be able to have it, so to continue with your ridiculous 'purity' thing, in that sense it's almost 'purifying' the game beyond its initial 'purity' by preserving and extending its legacy.

18. rod_wod

rod_wod Fiery Member

I don't think they should profit even if they brought the rights.
    If i had a hand in making that game i would most certainly seek legal action.These guys could be making more cash then the original makers did.

If buying the rights gives you the right to make a profit on someone else's hard work without actually doing anything then i hate this kind of thing even more.

The purity is lost when a shite conversion of a game is made for a console it was never meant to be on by a company like piko.
    I understand that YES this kind of thing gives an old game a new lease of life but is it one that the original
    makers would have wanted. Doesn't their work deserve to be preserved in its original state.

Anyway i hope the legacy of games like 40 winks is extended like you say but i'm just not sure if this is the best way of doing it.

I'm just concerned a bit.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  19. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I'm somewhat skeptical about the practicality (or even need) of the DC port, by why is it such a bad thing he bought the rights and is selling this property again? When you work for a game company, you work on any of their projects knowing that your work becomes the property of that company, and in turn all rights to any of your work don't belong to you. It's basic law. He got the rights fair and square.
    Also..

Why draw the line if it's an unreleased game? I get that's the basis for this site but so many people use it to create double standards just because. So all those hard work and hours put into the unreleased title don't matter just because it didn't make it to market? So in that case you'd be OK seeing someone else profiting off work that you would have been properly compensated for just the same if it were released? Because let's not forget that most individuals on a given product, be it a game, movie, music, etc. do not get any royalty when the product is released since they're already being compensated for just doing their job.

I'm just confused who you're standing up for when it feels more like just bias against piko.

DeChief likes this.
  20. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

There's nothing a person can do if they don't own even the slightest portion of the rights to an IP, that's just how it goes unfortunately. To me it sounds like you're assuming it's easy to slap a rom on a cartridge and start selling it, when in reality it's a hell of a lot more involved than you think. Trust me, I'm developing two products right now and it's pretty fuckin' hard. One of them is even mostly based on another thing thing that already exists so I've got less design work to do on it, and it's still proving to be much more difficult than I had anticipated.

It does deserve to be preserved in its original state, and it is. That's the whole point of the Kickstarter: to give the unreleased N64 version a wide release as originally intended.