40 Winks on N64 being officially released

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Arcadia, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Arcadia

Arcadia Spirited Member

The somewhat legendary game 40 Winks is now being officially released for the N64. According to the developers, this is the first game to be released for the N64 since its discontinuation by Nintendo.

There are two options, one gray cartridge just like the original, and a special edition, but I'm sticking with the original because it feels more like a real N64 game.

Link to the kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retrogames/40-winks-a-new-nintendo-64-game?

Amorri40 likes this.
  2. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

I immediately thought of the Australian bedding chain.

[​IMG]

But this is cool! I think I'm going to buy a copy, do you know if the game will run on PAL systems?

Kaeser likes this.
  3. Arcadia

Arcadia Spirited Member

The cartridge is both PAL/NTSC, which means it will run on any N64 console.

Pretty stoked to be honest, it's good that the N64 will finally get some love in the form of a "new" game, hopefully more will follow.

DSwizzy145, DeChief and Traace like this.
  4. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Where'd you get that info?

I forgot that I have a US N64 in my closet so I've backed it anyway, but it would be nice to be able to play it on my PAL console since it's set up all the time.

5. Arcadia

Arcadia Spirited Member

The box art says it's playable on both PAL and NTSC, and this comment from the creator confirms this:

"Yes, we are working on it to make it 100% playable on PAL and NTSC consoles."

Apparently, the beta they're working on supports both PAL and NTSC, but if that means switchable 50/60Hz is anyone's guess and then there's also the matter of the cartridges being slightly different in USA and Japan, PAL having the same style as in Japan.

DSwizzy145 and DeChief like this.
  6. Greg2600

Greg2600 Fiery Member

While it seems cool, doesn't have an N64-rom option, just Steam, so no interest to me.

7. Arcadia

Arcadia Spirited Member

Well, the beta have been out for years, I doubt the final game will differ that much.

Greg2600 likes this.
  8. Amorri40

Amorri40 Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  9. zouzzz

zouzzz Site Supporter 2013

10. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I always found it strange that this game never got a N64 release but saw the light of day on the PlayStation. Very interesting.

11. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Carts cost more to manufacture, so that certainly would have played a part.

12. Arcadia

Arcadia Spirited Member

Plus the Playstation sold three times more units than the N64.

13. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

This awesome as the rom runs way to fast on my ntsc n64 and my rgb pal n64 doesn't work on my ntsc rgb modded crt. I generally use my framemeister to play it, but this would be so much better.

14. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Gaming aficionado raised by family & friends.

GT Interactive's financial crisis during the time 40 Winks was released is another factor as to why the N64 version never got released :(

15. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I don't see a DC port being possible, it would take too much time and effort that would go way beyond the resources I can imagine wanting to be spent on such a thing. He says in the comments section that they only got a ROM and no source, so that's lots of reverse engineering only to get low quality assets that don't match the higher quality a DC port would be expected to have. Without original assets to work with it'd just be an arbitrary port with no real advantage.

Somewhat hoping for his own sanity's sake he reconsiders bothering with such a thing. Although I'm somewhat skeptical there's enough demand to push the price up to 250k anyway...

16. takensorryuser

takensorryuser Active Member

Nice, and also a lot of hard work in terms of releasing it (the leaked version some years ago, was that feature-complete sans any bugs?) either way happy to see it being released.

Now, if only they could reverse the cancelled but found PSX Unreal maps/game and port it over to the N64...

17. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I think calling this an "official" release isn't technically accurate. Official would imply that it has Nintendo's approval, which I'm pretty sure it doesn't. That said, it does seem interesting, and the price is pretty reasonable too. I might consider getting it.

18. Arcadia

Arcadia Spirited Member

Considering this was officially developed, and even reviewed in an official magazine, I'd say this is as close to official as we're going to get, but I can see your point.

Keiji Dragon likes this.
  19. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

I think when it was leaked, it was claimed to be the complete and final version, but I don't know if that was true or not, and I've not read on any forum or website of anyone playing it all the way through and confirming that the game can be finished and does seem to be complete. Though maybe lots of people have completed it, and just not posted anywhere I visit, of course.

Unreal would have been great on the N64, albeit probably a little slower and with the open areas more cut down. Unreal Tournament was also rumoured to be headed for the N64, and it was a little strange that the N64 never saw Quake 3, since it had Quake 1 and 2, though Quake 3 would have had to have been slowed down somewhat to run on the N64's hardware. It could still have played really well, though.

Blood! should have been on the N64 too, and that certainly wouldn't have taxed the N64's hardware, being a Build engine game. Shadow Warrior 3D would have been good too, but of the two I'd have much preferred to see Blood! on the N64.

takensorryuser likes this.
  20. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Could these two have been left out due to Nintendo's likely censorship? Both of them have a lot of stuff that probably would have been cut out. I was surprised Duke Nukem even came to the N64.