1. We live again. All extra functionality removed for now. Search may be broken as may be other things. With love, ASSEMbler.

3DO Adventures

Discussion in 'Panasonic M2 and 3DO' started by Taijigamer2, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Taijigamer2

Taijigamer2 Spirited Member

It's been playing in my mind for a while. I've been really drawn by the obscurity of the lesser consoles. Having been a Sega man for most of my childhood and then switching to PlayStation 1 & 2 throughout my teens. The Panasonic 3DO passed me by. So I finally decided to order one from eBay with the possibility of installing it in a PC case as a sort of psuedo Creative 3DO Blaster as the original boards are so rare now.

So it arrived yesterday, £40 from eBay model FZ-1. A steal as the normal price in UK is between £100-£200.

As you can see the item was sold as 'Faulty' because the CD tray kept jamming halfway. I thought it could be anything from a worn belt to a broken gear or even a cracked tray.

But to my delight, it was simply a disc jammed in the tray. Result. A free copy of Demolition Man, thank you. Checked the laser, booted without issue.

As you can see it has some rust in the corner of the EMI shielding. The black screw pegs were also cracked suggesting it had taken a tumble at some point in its 24 year life. I'll take a close up pic of the motherboard when I get another chance. I did notice it has the Bt encoder unfortunately so no option for native 240p :(

On the PSU interestingly enough, it has no fan but does have solder points for a fan connector so I may add one in the future. It doesn't have a common tap on the transformer whereas some models do. Again there is a solder point if one were to get a new transformer in the future.

The next step will be to decifer where to apply molex 12v and 5v to run it off an ATX psu.

2. dj898

dj898 Site Supporter 2015

As far as I know all Sanyo 3DO Try consoles are compatible with 240p mod since they used the VP536 chip.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Taijigamer2 likes this.
  3. Taijigamer2

I think all 3DO technology follows the same design rules, as was the original vision by the creators. I think all 3DO technology generates 240p image at the video encoder but then line doubles it to 480i for transmission to the Tv.

3DO with the VP536 video encoder can be modded via a switch to force 240p.

http://retrorgb.com/3do240p.html

But unfortunately this 3DO has the Bt9103 video encoder common in older FZ-1 models. This chip must also have the ability to force 240p but there is no data sheet available online so we are unfortunately in the dark. I may experiment when I'm feeling brave, to see if I can find the relevant pins.

4. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I've also been interested in the 3DO, but obviously not to the same extent. I wanted to play the Alone in the Dark port as it was the only console they ported that game to. That was a steal, though. Great find. I'm interested in seeing it installed in the PC case.

Taijigamer2 likes this.
  5. Taijigamer2

Thanks for the interest. Yeah that title was one of the games that drew me to the 3DO along with other 16bit ports like Flashback and also early CD FMV games like Demolition Man.

It would be nice to find a Creative Labs 3DO Blaster but they are like hen's teeth. For this to project to work in a PC case, I would need to RGB mod it, preferably with native 240p.