3D Racing 4x4 Jam For Dreamcast

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Ivan GR, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Ivan GR

Ivan GR Active Member

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. Anthony817

Anthony817 Dauntless Member

Yeah, pretty damn impressive they ported a PSP game to the Dreamcast. Lets hope this means more developers will port their games over to the DC. Hopefully this is the beginning of way more 3D indie games on DC since most of the new games we get still to this day are only 2D.

3. dark

dark Intrepid Member

Very impressive, what's the story behind the development of this one anyway? I thought I had read a few months ago that getting this on the DC involved (a) spending money to pay a developer(s) and (b) having those developers use an official sega development kit rather than the more typical non-restricted license homebrew development kallistiOS stuff. I believe that after seeing this in action, maybe those resources, financial and technical are what it takes to get this kind of 3D going on the DC, but I wouldn't necessarily view this as a harbinger of many more PSP or 3D titles to come for DC since there is reluctance among many in the homebrew community to using the official dev tools out of legal concern, and limited upfront financial resources for DC development these days. Would like to be wrong though :)

4. Anthony817

It was almost most certainly done with the Katana SDK or Windows CE devkit. I can't see KalistiOS pumping out a game of this complexity. Despite the legality of it, I doubt Sega actually cares at this point. Honestly they should just go ahead and release the thing for free as a token of good will towards the community. They are very pro consumer when they allow rom hacks to be posted directly to Steam, and aren't as prone to shutting down as many community made homebrew projects as Nintendo, although I remember them in the past shutting down some.

5. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

Yep, this is pretty cool.
    KOS has been updated massively and supports more features than Katana. I seem to remember a massive update to KOS as late as 2016/2017.
    How is this impressive? The PSP hardware is directly comparable to that of the DC, in terms of performance. I mean it's nice to see anything new on the DC, but this particular game can hardly be considered a technical feat, by any standard.

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  6. Anthony817

Sure PSP graphically wasn't something to write home about, but it did have some decent looking games.

I know full and well what the PSP is capable of, and how similar it is in hardware in relation to Dreamcast, I have owned about 6 of the systems. Loved them very much so and the thriving homebrew community on them.

The game is certainly not Gran Turismo PSP level of detail, and it has been stated that it is a PSP Minis game. But still, what I meant is it is impressive that they got any 3D PSP game working on the Dreamcast at all. With all the limitations that KalistiOS has I have never seen retail quality level of 3D graphics from it except for a few games like Xenocider, not to say the XDK is bad. I love it, but I have only seen predominantly 2D games done on it. I know Hypertension is maxing out what can be done on a modified Doom engine on the DC, and that was ported over with KallistiOS, but not a lot of other teams have really fleshed out the full potential of the DC hardware.

But for an 2017 indie game, this is impressive compared to the countless 2D games we get every year.

7. americandad

americandad Familiar Face

You misunderstood. What I'm saying is that, considering how close PSP and DC are in terms of power, there's nothing impressive in porting an app from one platform to a similar platform. I'm not saying that the PSP was bad or anything, I'm saying this port isn't technically impressive because of the two platforms similarity.

I do, however, agree, it is nice to have a 3D game released for the DC. Those 2D games are great but it's nice to see some 3D for a change.

DSwizzy145 and TerdFerguson like this.
  8. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

if this did use the official dev libraries then this will be the "canary in the coalmine" for other future devs

DSwizzy145 and Anthony817 like this.
  9. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

There are so many PSP games I'd love to see ported to the Dreamcast...

DSwizzy145 likes this.
  10. bulletbob

bulletbob Member

from what i remember hearing, the guy that was making some mods for the dreamcast version of 4x4 evo teamed up with the people that owned the rights to 4x4 evo and is using their dev kits to port the new game over. and jprod is distributing it. i would bet anything they are using wince, not that i have a problem with that, but possibly the contract for the dev kit is still good although unlikely. I could be wrong. note how the cars drop onto the track at the start.

11. Anthony817

Can you please link to where you heard stuff about it? So FuzzyFish is the guy behind setting this into motion? Impressive. We haven't heard a lot about his 4X4 Evo 2 DC port for a long time. I remember on moddb he said something about taking a break for a while.

12. zouzzz

zouzzz Site Supporter 2013

Clipping oO.

13. Ivan GR

Ivan GR Active Member

14. dark

dark Intrepid Member

Just another curious question, were the pal style dreamcast cases newly created for these releases somehow, or are they cannibalized / NOS from years ago?

15. Ivan GR

Ivan GR Active Member

About PAL cases. Roel (Senile Team) post from dreamcast-talk
    http://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=10188&start=30

16. wombat

wombat Site Supporter 2011,2013,2014,2015

@dark I also remember reading somewhere a statement from JoshProd that this game was being ported with the use of the official Katana tools and devkit. Seeing how the PAL-packaging releases feature full Dreamcast logo's, supposedly without permission, it seems they just go for it and assume there is no issue with this seeing the age of the system.

TerdFerguson likes this.
  17. Ivan GR

Ivan GR Active Member

Added new gameplay video. Thanks for link dreamcast-news from dreamcast-talk.

18. Ivan GR

Ivan GR Active Member

Interview JoshProd for Dreamcast Junkyard

French publisher JoshProd has finally revealed to us the details of the latest batch of titles heading to the Sega Dreamcast, and this time gamers can expect three titles that are totally new to to system. 4x4 Jam is an off-road racer featuring fully 3D visuals and sprawling open stages, while Delphine's classic 2D adventure Flashback: The Quest For Identity has been built from the ground up as a brand new, officially licensed Dreamcast port. The other games in the release line-up include Visco's Neo-Geo scrolling beat 'em up Ganryu, a new PAL-boxed version of Sturmwind, and a re-issue of Orion's retro-styled RPG Zia and the Goddesses of Magic

4x4 Jam is actually a port of a game that has been available on both the Sony PSP and Android/iOS for some time, and is particularly interesting as it potentially opens the door for ports of similar games designed for low-powered mobile devices. The video above was recorded from an actual Dreamcast and shows off some of the sprawling landscapes and Smuggler's Run style gameplay.

4x4.png
    4x4_2.png

Flashback: The Quest For Identity is also of great interest, as this particular version has been designed from scratch for the Dreamcast, incorporating brand new menu screens, visual options and controls perfectly mapped to the Dreamcast controller. The game also features the full and uncut intro cinematics only previously seen in the PC version, along with full support for the VMU with a 'save anywhere' function. While Flashback has been available to play on the Dreamcast prior to this release, the versions available have either been homebrew ports designed to work with the SD reader, or via the emulation of other systems. This bespoke version has been officially licensed by Delphine Software and ported specifically for the Dreamcast using the original source code supplied.

flashback-1.jpg

DCJY: 4x4 Jam is an interesting choice - were you a fan of the PSP game?

When the PSP system was released I was a big fan, mainly because it proposed - like the Dreamcast - a connection to the internet and it had an impressive screen resolution. It was easily my favorite portable system back then. I discovered 4x4 Jam during this period and downloaded it due to a very good reviews from lots of websites. It's one of my favourite games for the PSP so it was a simple choice to bring it to Dreamcast.

DCJY: What was the process in getting the game ported? Was it an easy process?

A professional programmer (he's been programming on Dreamcast since 2000 on an official devkit) made the port with the original PSP source code, and it's taken a few weeks to port it. We tried to include additional options and improvements over the PSP version.

DCJY: The port in interesting as it potentially opens the door for more ports of other similar titles - is this something we could see in the future?

Yes for sure - we have two other games in our sights. If the Junkyard's fanbase are in contact with programmers or owners of old IPs they could contact me and we could maybe think about the possibility of porting the game (if it's a good game of course!)

DCJY: Flashback is a classic title that many people will be familiar with. How were you able to get this game made for Dreamcast? Were there any difficulties in acquiring the license?

Acquiring the license for Flashback was not easy, it's taken more than a year to trace the owner of the IP. When I finally contacted him it was quite easy to convince him because we had already released our first Dreamcast games (Rush Rush Rally Reloaded, Breakers etc) and we could show him the quality of our manufacturer. When we received the code source, Chui (who did the work on Breakers) ported it with a lots of improvements (screen size, all European languages, mix all original version and take the best of each, we also included a 16-bit original version with Japanese text).

Link to original http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2017/07/4x4-jam-flashback-ganryu-head-up-new.html

19. DSwizzy145

DSwizzy145 Well Known Member

^this! Especially games like Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories & Vice City Stories, and Chinatown Wars (PSP version) and also many of the 3D or compilation games by Falcom like: Gurumin, Ys I & II Chronicles, Ys Seven, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, and Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

Another PSP title i would LOVE to see on the Dreamcast that could be a very good contender to Shenmue 1 & 2 would DEFINITELY have to be... Kenka Bancho Portable & Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble