3D games from the '90s that still hold up today

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by KGRAMR, Oct 27, 2017.

1. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Gaming aficionado raised by family & friends.

I've played a few 3D Sega Saturn games (WSB '98, Virtua Cop 1 & 2, NBA Live '97) & a lot more on the PS1 (such as Einhander, MediEvil, Doom, Syphon Filter & obviously the Crash trilogy) but for you, is there any 3D game from this era that you feel that they still hold up in 2017? To give you some examples, some of my favorite games on the Jaguar are 3D games such as Iron Soldier 1 & 2, Tempest 2000, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Zero 5, Battlemorph & Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands :)

2. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Megaman Legends 2. The clever texture handling for faces and talking is still really damn good.

DSwizzy145 and KGRAMR like this.
  3. karsten

karsten Member of The Cult Of Kefka

Does final fantasy tactics count as 3d? If so that's one.

Oh and wip3out that was above amazing.

KGRAMR likes this.
  4. mettleramiel

mettleramiel Robust Member

Mario 64, Starfox 64, Nights, Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2.

KGRAMR likes this.
  5. looptranzit

looptranzit Spirited Member

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast. Still a beautiful game.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  6. KGRAMR

Oh hell yeah! Soulcalibur still kicks ass! One of my favorite fighters alongside SSBM, 3rd Strike & MvC2.

7. dark

dark Dauntless Member

The arcade version of Virtua Racing. Dead or Alive 2 is also pretty solid.

Not sure that they would hold up to others, but off the top of my head, other 3d games I still enjoy playing from the 90s would be: Alpine Racer 1 and 2, Ridge Racer 1 and R4, Tekken 2, Virtua Fighter 1 and 2, Shadow Squadron, Battle Arena Toshinden 1 and 3, Mario Party series on N64, Jumping Flash 1 and 2, Wipeout series on PS1, Road Rash on 3DO/saturn/ps1, Need for Speed 1, Stunts (pc dos game), Nights into Dreams, Race Drivin' (arcade).

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    KGRAMR likes this.
  8. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Shenmue. The attention to detail still holds up.

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  9. PessimisticPenguin

PessimisticPenguin Плохо пигвин

Starwars Episode 1 Racer was pretty good on the N64. Especially with the expansion pack, which I think literally doubled the resolution from 320x240 to 640x480.

10. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Mario Kart 64 and Ocarina of Time are games not mentioned yet that still hold up well for their age.

11. PessimisticPenguin

PessimisticPenguin Плохо пигвин

Yeah and Smash Bros. was excellent

12. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

Super Mario 64 absolutely. Everything but the camera holds up great but I personally don't have that much of a problem with the camera.
    Soul Calibur is one of the most technical flawless games I've ever played. I still don't understand why they haven't re-released that. I can always play the DC original but a re-release of the first 3 would be top notch.

13. KGRAMR

I forgot to add this one to the list. While it was released on 2000, it's development dates back from 1994 so technically it counts. Also, what's the name of the music that plays at the beginning? This is the updated version of BattleSphere by the way ;)

14. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

They have re-released it. They released it on XBLA, and later on iOS and Android. They also re-released SCII on 360 and PS3. I prefer the DC version of Soulcalibur. Soul Edge is good too; pretty impressive for a PS1 fighter.

I'll respond to the OP eventually.

15. looptranzit

looptranzit Spirited Member

How dare I misspell this game! Corrected.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  16. MBMM

My fault. I don't pay attention to XBLA as much as I should.

As for Android I can't say I would want to play that version. Does anybody own it? Thoughts on the controls?

17. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Wolfenstein 3D unfortunately doesn't hold up well at all, the movement is extremely stiff compared to shooters that came after.

For me, all of these games hold up pretty well:
    • Doom/Doom 2 and Final Doom (although I'm not particularly fond of Final Doom's levels)
    • The Hexen and Heretic games
    • Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 especially
    • Rise of the Triad
    • The Marathon trilogy (1, Durandal, and Infinity)
    • Duke Nukem 3D
    • Descent, to an extent. Makes me a bit motion sick though
    • Starfox 2, it runs better than the first Starfox and is a little easier as well
    • Starfox 64
    • Banjo Kazooie and Tooie
    • Goldeneye, kind of. The framerate is a little rough, but its fine once you get used to it
    • Tekken, still kicks ass
    • Toshinden
    • Street Fighter EX and EX2, I like these a lot for some reason
    • Spyro, played a lot of the first one as a child and it's still a lot of fun today. I had to stop using it as a test game for PS1 debugs because I would end up playing it for hours
    • Smash Bros., it's still a fun PARTY game. Emphasis on PARTY. If you play Smash competitively and like to pretend that it's a fighting game, then you're ruining the fun
    • Nights into Dreams, it still plays beautifully with the 3D controller
    • Daytona USA, both the arcade and later Saturn release after the really poor first port
    • Sega Rally 2 on Dreamcast
    • MDK on PC, still such a cool game
    There are many more that I can't think of right now, but what I can think of are some games that really aren't good to play today:
    • Super Mario 64, the movement in this game is absolute dogshit. Especially when you try to play it after playing Mario Odyssey - even Sunshine controls better. When Rare got it do right with Banjo Kazooie such a short time later, Nintendo really has no excuse here. Also, the camera makes me want to kill myself
    • Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, I don't understand the hype. It generally runs very poorly compared to other N64 titles. Better FPS than Goldeneye sure, but it's simply not a great game compared to today's standards (especially when compared to Breath of the Wild)
    • Sonic Adventure, 3D Sonic was never a good idea. Sonic Utopia is the closest we'll ever get to a good 3D Sonic game because Sega is full of ancient talentless imbeciles

18. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

Thems fightin words :p

Seriously though, while I actually never fully liked MM, OoT was a great game. I liked how the story was told (it looked cinematic in the cutscenes at times), the graphics are good for N64, While we're talking like 24 FPS target, at least it was stable and as such, didn't hinder gameplay. There was so many little side things to do, all entertaining and with cool rewards, and come on, freakin time travel.

Sorry, I had to defend my choice in this discussion :p

DeChief likes this.
  19. MBMM

Same with SM64.

Both SM64 and OoT were good enough to influence the makers of GoldenEye 007, Grand Theft Auto III, Banjo Kazooie, and Kingdom Hearts. It was said that SM64 was the impetus for Kingdom Hearts creation.

I understand the critique, though. Most people would disagree with the Sprite-based look of games running on the old id Engines but I do think those games are still very fun now.

20. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

You just lowered my opinion on SM64 tenfold. :p

Kingdom Hearts is almost reason enough to go back in time and make sure video games never happened.