360 XDK: Playing retail games

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by Im Twelve Inches, Jul 15, 2006.

1. i've recently acquired an Xbox 360 XDK. I didn't know what was so special about it until reading up on a few threads here. I thought it was a normal 360 and so did the person selling it to me. It's Mfr date is from this year. Well i didn't get a recovery cd with it. I was wondering what are my exact steps to get it to play retail games.

2. jccochez

jccochez that's why i'm here.

it should play the retail games like a normal Xbox 360 : just insert the game and ejoy!

3. JohnA

JohnA Active Member

Just don't take it on live.

4. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

Im Twelve Inches? are you implying you're a midget?

How much did you get your XDK360 for?

5. Speedy22

Speedy22 Member

Nice Find!

If you are planning on experimenting with the demo kit you should disable the efuse supply enable. This will prevent any accidental or designed permanent programming of the CPU. Be extremely careful with any recovery disks you come across they may perform checks and brick the console. This is also one of the reason why not to connect the unit to the internet (or xbox live).
    As for playing retail, Currently once the unit is converted to play retail you will loose the debug features. Each Retail units contain a unique code but all the demo, dev, test and reviewer kits don't when they leave the factory. This can be programmed as a security feature for game developers, I believe.
    You will need either debug code or dev kits signed executables to run on the unit.
    What flash version and XDK version does the unit have installed? Should be display in the launcher window.
    Does this unit have any preinstalled executables? They will be displayed once the unit is turned on. (in the launcher window)

6. jccochez

strange... i supposed Debug 360 worked just like TEST ps2 : boot everything (original or backup) as is....

so it needed a code?

7. That is the way i found out it was an XDK. I bought Ghost Recon and put it in. On the dash board it said play dvd instead of the game. When i played it, i get a screen that says: To play the disc, put it in an Xbox 360 console.

How much is it worth and the i will tell you how much i got it for? I know for sure it was a bargain.

I read something on this forum about a hackit-devkit-GueuX-V2. Is that what i need. And in order to put that on the 360, don't i have to transfer it on the internet.

8. Speedy22

Speedy22 Member

hackit-devkit-GueuX-V2 is for the original xbox.
    If you are determined to run retail then sell the unit and buy a retail 360. Once a demo kit it is converted to a retail there is no going back. You will loose more then 3/4 of its value (possibly more) by converting it. If you don't have access to 360 development tools then the unit will be useless to you other then as a collectors piece. You could atleast use the DVD features as well.

The value of a dev, test, demo, reviewer kits will depend on the following items.
    1)MOBO version
    2)Flash/XDK version
    3)Hard drive content and size
    4)Sidecar (Dev kits only)
    5)Disks(Recovery, Preview games, SDK, Documentation, etc...)

These are the main point in random order.

1) The MOBO version 009 (Beta Units) will be a very sought after item for collectors. They were only available in DEV kit with sidecar and Test kit configurations. The CPU on these units ran at 2.8 ghz and the memory bus ran at 500Mhz. (top two differences between version 9 & 11) IF anyone comes across one of these units, avoid any recovery diskfor August 2005 and Newer. The smartXX unit was one of these version 9 units.

2) As a collector piece, I would not update the flash with the recovery disk. Original flash versions may have a higher value. Maybe other can chime in on this.

3)Reviewer Kits 20g HD, Demo kits 20g HD or 60g HD, Test and Dev >60g HD
    Does the HD contain executables? Are they unit specific?

4)Sidecars allow for full debugging Including PIX, Dashboard and I believe SMC. (system Management Controller found inside the southbridge) These are the top of the line units. smartxx unit had a sidecar. The sidecars are expensive to manufacture.

5)No explaination required.

Hope this helps

9. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

In short, you're not going to play retail games on a Xbox 360 XDK...at least not yet.

-hl718

10. On the Xbox 360 launcher screen it says on the bottom: CM590 (0.0.0.0) , Flash 2419.0 , XDK 2638.0 . It has a 60 gb hard drive. It has a few programs on it: LightShafts.exe, SceneViewer.exe, and UIAuditioning.xex. Oh and the date of MFR date is 3-9-06.

11. jccochez

you should post a topic on the market place. says how many you want for it and all.

12. jccochez

were just thinking, isn't there a way to backup retail games and patch to "convert" them to debug in any way?

13. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Hell, I would trade my XBox 360 with all of its games and the e3 faceplate for it, and then some. PM me if you do want to get rid of it, though I recognize its not a selling thread. Ive got lots of stuff Id get rid of to have one ;)

14. oldengineer

oldengineer Familiar Face

You shouldn't rely on this as a definative list...

Don't forget any 'Kit' can have a 20gb HDD, or vice versa i.e a Dev Kit will usually have a 20gb HDD.

...Also a Kit with the sidecar unit will usually have a 80gb HDD just to confuse matters more!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  15. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

And of course there are multiple versions (and colors!) of the sidecars as well. ;)

Not all sidecars are the same.

-hl718

16. Barc0de

Barc0de Mythical Member from Time Immemorial

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  17. Speedy22

Speedy22 Member

I'm currently working on Version 1.5 and should be releasing it in a couple of weeks. I will have more information on the various kit configurations.

Old engineer is correct. The HDD configurations can vary since they are easily removable. Use the information as a guide and not 100% fact. I get my information from rumours, emails, pictures, interviews, etc. It is very difficult to get detailed info on the 360 or at least get it confirmed by more then one source.

18. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

Also the hdd can be upgraded to a pretty large hdd as well.

19. oldengineer

oldengineer Familiar Face

Nice work with the pdf m8 :clap:

20. Sally

Sally Guest

If you want your debug 360 to play retail, pm me the serial number. Then wait 24 hours. Then plug it into the internet and go on the marketplace (or just connect to live in general). After that, your system will be able to play retail games.