32x Proto Found : Pinocchio

Discussion in 'Unreleased Games Discussion' started by Radar, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Radar

Radar Rising Member

I recently had the chance to play the prototype of an unreleased 32x title (and from what I can tell its undumped and not on any rumor lists)

The game is Pinocchio and was developed by London Studios (Virgin Interactive) in the UK - the MD, SNES, GB versions were released but the 32x which was developed at the same time was never released.

The game is fully playable (I supplied the PAL 32x setup to test it on) - the games is on a Sega dev board and its fully playable and complete.

Sadly it looks to be very similar to the MD version - there are graphically differences (in the 3 levels I've played of it) but nothing to indicate its using the 32x for anything special. (SNES version to my eyes actually looks better)

Good to know this exists even if its not the most exciting title.
    Hope to have some photo's and video shortly.

sa1 and LD like this.
  2. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Wow, nice to see a new 32X proto turn up. Do you think you'll be able to get any videos or pictures?

yakumo

LD likes this.
  3. hl718

hl718 Site Soldier

Based on Disney movie or based on that horrid live action movie with the kid from Home Improvement?

-hl718

4. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Ugh, seems like a lot of unreleased stuff ends up just being "ports" of released games. Have to wonder if there was much effort to put this on a 32x cartridge. Really, I bet the code is identical to the Genesis version besides some small things that don't matter. It's no wonder it didn't come out like lots of things, after all, you need a Genesis to even play a 32x, so why bother releasing the exact same thing twice when most people would have the Genesis anyways? :p

Where'd you find it, and any chance of other lost titles? :)

LD and Keiji Dragon like this.
  5. Segafreak_NL

Segafreak_NL v2.0 New and improved. Site supporter 2012-15

Very nice find, I did have it listed in the unreleased 32X games list on Segadatabase though.

6. segaloco

segaloco Enthusiastic Member

I hope for the 1% chance that this will get dumped, I would love to compare the SH2 code to the 68K version. ;)

7. jebbyderinger

jebbyderinger Newly Registered

Could the game have perhaps been planned as a 32X game but then scrapped when they realized it would sell more as a Genesis game?

8. ServiceGames

ServiceGames Heretic Extraordinaire

^
    He's got a point there. But without proper documentation or some development dates we wouldn't really know.

Was there a build date on the version that you were able to play radar?

9. skateforjondoe

skateforjondoe Gutsy Member

AHAHA.. Home Improvement is so lame... And that creepy Wilson guy, How many bodies do you think are in his basement? The show's not nearly as bad as Roseanne(and her lesbian daughter..and obese husband)

10. segaloco

segaloco Enthusiastic Member

Hey, Radar, how's it going with this. Have you managed to get any video or screenshots. I wrote a preliminary X-Egg article about this, and that would be perfect for it ;) Many thanks, segaloco

11. Radar

Radar Rising Member

I am yet to secure the owners permission to post Video but I can provide 2 screenshots.

I'll also ask him to provide some information around the development history etc.

The owner also has SNES WIP versions of the same game and several other interesting prototypes I'm hoping to get documented.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sa1 and KGRAMR like this.
  12. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

Heh, forgive me it for saying it seems absolutely silly that you need permission to film something that they don't have any legal rights to to begin with. You should be able to take any video you please, that's just ridiculous.

Anyways, thanks for sharing!

13. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Not really. Even if the owner of the cart doesn't own the rights, the cart does belong to him (no matter how he got it) so he has every right to refuse or give rights to film.

Yakumo

14. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Is it just me or a lot of unreleased megadrive/genesis games are showing up in europe?

15. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Nice find and thanks for the snaps!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    LD likes this.
  16. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

I just realized your user name is named after an early pink floyd song, am I correct?

17. hrahn

hrahn Robust Member

In those days there were a lot of developers in Great Britain. They were in love with the 68K, the Amiga lasted longer there than anywhere else, sold more units per household etc... (they therefore also got much cooler bundles ^^ )
    I therefore don't find it too surprising that they developed a lot for the Genny.
    (still mourning for psygnosis and cursing Sony for buying them out and frakking renaming / disbanding them - at Cebit Home I got an DinA2 sticker set from them, the biggest of them (the owl logo) adorned the side of my black pc tower for years).

LD likes this.
  18. Trenton_net

Trenton_net AKA SUPERCOM32

Is anyone kind of scratching their heads as to why those chips arn't taped up? That's a sure way to loose an investment!

19. ServiceGames

ServiceGames Heretic Extraordinaire

Ha yeah.. After he took that picture with flash it wiped the data and there will be no video.. Lets hope that's not the case anyway.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  20. discworld

discworld Blue Brother

is this only a port from another console or a real unreleased game that didnt make? - im not an expert in pinoccio games. ;) nice pics, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010