1CHIP SNES SuperCIC and mod help

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by keropi, Aug 14, 2012.

1. cam

cam Member

I spend some hours on this but when it's well prepared I believe it should last longer and I kind of like it :)

2. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

Nice DIY-PCB at all cam :) Great, great, great! When I think back to my first DIY-PCB, which did the same as your, it wasn't that clean :p You may add three 100nF caps for the three other ICs

There are still some designs for that mod. In my GitHub-channel I've uploaded some PCBs for the SNES, e.g., a clock switch PCB for the 1Chip-SNES-designes. In a few days I'll also upload two additional designs: one All-in-One design for the 1Chip-SNES incl the clock switch and one without for a shop of a friend of mine... All of my desings with the SuperCIC include the feature enriched uIGR and a region patch.

Please have a look ;) -> https://github.com/borti4938/SNES-AddOn-PCBs

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  3. Ergot_Cholera

Ergot_Cholera Flaccid Member

The diagram shows supercic pin 4 connected to IGR pin 8, but on your board it is connected to a break!?

4. kel

kel Spirited Member

You are correct. The diagram is slightly different from the photo of my board but functionally the same.

The board in the photo was made before the diagram. SCIC pin 4 is still connected to IGR pin 8 (+5v) in the photo, just the break is closer to the SCIC. I decided to move the break into the middle in the diagram so it would be easy to connect SCIC pin 4 to SCIC pin 7 (GND) to disable the 9 sec region timeout if preferred. Although I suppose you could just leave SCIC pin 4 floating for the same result :)

Since then I have disabled the 9 sec region timeout on the board in the photo too. It can be quite annoying sometimes when it thinks my SD2SNES is PAL and keeps switching region for 9 sec every time I reset to the menu.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  5. Ergot_Cholera

I just wanted to check, I thought something like that would be the case. I am trying the design on a SNES Mini. I don't have the brains/concentration to design a layout myself as my eyes tend to glaze over after a while (maybe ADD or the anti-depressants?).

6. kel

kel Spirited Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. My concentration level has been terrible recently. I'm glad I made that diagram back then when I could concentrate better as it will really come in handy for me when I get around to modding my SNES mini, also.

Although I've always wanted to design a PCB and get it made just for the hell of it so maybe I'll go that route and just push myself to concentrate long enough to get it done.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  7. Ergot_Cholera

I have installed kel's board design into a SNES Mini but it doesn't work. There is no signal. When the console is switched on the LED cycles through orange-red-green and then switches off, if I then press and hold the reset button the LED lights up green but when I release it the LED goes off.
    I have removed the original cic, but have accidentally pulled pads 5, 6, 14 and 16 from the board (guessing this is a problem!??). I have removed the cic from other SNES consoles without damaging the pads, the SNES Mini pads don't seem as robust as other models.
    I have also used monolitihic caps instead of disc (its all I could get at short notice), could this be an issue?
    I would have taken some photos but someone is borrowing my camera at the moment.
    I hate to think I have ruined a SNES Mini, I hope it can be fixed.

8. kel

kel Spirited Member

If you have removed the original CIC, did you remember to put a 10k resistor from Pad 8 to GND?

9. Ergot_Cholera

Yes, I have put a 10k resistor from the via connected to pad 8 to the middle leg of the voltage regulator.

10. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

I've seen something similar before. Might be the same problem; unfortunately I don't remember what the problem was or even it was figured out:

Should not be any problem as long as there are no shorts within...

Really looking forward to some pics ;) I hope we can figure out what the problem is!

Anyway - even if we cannot fix it, what is hopefully not the case, I would be interested in buy it for a very nice project -> a friend of mine strips broken motherboards of retro consoles. You may have a look, what it is: http://circuit-board.de/forum/index.php/Thread/13913-STRIP-CLUB-PCB-Scans/?pageNo=1 (German website - click onto the links for pictures)

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  11. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

A second video of the same guy and same console:

He don't make any contact with the probe to the wires...

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  12. Ergot_Cholera

Solved the problem. I had the wire connecting the crystals going to the wrong point, DOH! But it does say X1 right pin on kels diagram which is confusing.
    I soldered it to the point marked + just below X1. Thanks for your input borti, it is appreciated.

13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Yeah, the right point is on full size consoles, not the mini.

You can always use TC+ on either revision.

14. kel

kel Spirited Member

I see what you mean. I didn't realize that the crystal was in a different position on the mini/Jr SNES. I probably would have made the same mistake when get around to modding mine if you hadn't of mentioned it. I'll put a note on the diagram to prevent any confusion in the future. I'm glad you got it sorted anyway.

@borti4938 Those PCB scans that your friend has done are great, really interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing the link.

15. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

Great to read :) Congratulation for that - have fun with your 'new' mini. I'll mod my one too - PCBs for that has been shipped today xD

16. Palthe

Palthe Newly Registered

Thanks heaps for your stripboard design Kel! Great idea, I love using stripboard. I'm not using an IGR in my mod, so I've borrowed your design and tried to redo it minus the IGR. Have triple checked it, just want to run it buy you guys before implementing. Cheers!

Kel Design SNES 1chip minus IGR.jpg

17. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

Should work ;) (I have printed it out and checked it)

18. kel

kel Spirited Member

No problem Palthe, I'm glad it helped you make your redesign without IGR. I'm sure your redesign will help others too that don't want to include IGR like yourself.

It looks like it should work to me it also.

I did notice a few unnecessary wires and breaks but nothing that would cause any problems.

Wire N,E - N,J
    Break R,E & R,J
    Break AB,C & Wire AD,A - AD,C

You may also want to Change text "X1 right pin or S-CPU pin 9" to "TC1+ or S-CPU pin 9" for anyone that would like to use it with a SNES mini. My fault as I still haven't got around to changing it myself yet.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  19. Palthe

Palthe Newly Registered

Thanks Kel, I noticed the wire NE - NJ myself shortly after posting, but missed the other breaks and wires. Looks like i wasnt thinking creatively enough, forgot AA,A - AA,C would supply 5v to both chips. Might provide an opportunity to compact it further :) Will tidy it up with your suggestions.

Thanks again!

20. Bearking

Bearking Konsolkongen

Thanks, the three of you. I'll be doing this in my 1CHIP-02 and a customers SFC Jr this weekend. This will help a lot :)