1CHIP SNES SuperCIC and mod help

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by keropi, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

The pin is lifted from the board so the mod can change it. You couldn't leave pin 9 soldered to the board as the Console would be hard wired to ground and then the mod tries to put 5v on it...

2. ikari_01

ikari_01 Rising Member

"Lifted" is related to the pin 9 on the S-RGB IC, not the PIC output pin. If you want to connect the PIC to the S-RGB pin 9 then you must lift the pin on the S-RGB IC on the SNES motherboard.
    Do not connect an output pin of the PIC to GND, it will exceed the maximum rating of the PIC.

3. ShadowZero

ShadowZero Spirited Member

Hey ikari_01! I came across your post on snesfreaks :)
    Google translate made this out of it:
    In essence, are you saying (European) tv's will not give proper composite/s-video video if you do not use S-RGB pin 9 in the mod? (your description here also describes PAL-M?)

4. ShadowZero

ShadowZero Spirited Member

Ok, modded my first 1CHIP SNES (and my second SNES altogether ;) ). There are some funny/odd things. I hooked it up with composite, s-video and RGB to my CRT tv and my Bravia 3D LED and made some photos: http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/Shadow_Zero80/library/1CHIP SNES mod
    I guess ikari_01 is right about PAL-M not being supported by many tv's, though I'd like to test it on my Philips CRT in the bedroom, since that one swallowed everything I've thrown at so far. But some facts from my testing:
    - RGB is ok everywhere
    - composite and s-video don't show proper colors in 60hz (PAL-M)
    - odd thing is that my CRT tv produced 'some color', like my LED, the first time I tested it and the second time it just showed black & white. Can anyone clarify that?
    - on my CRT tv I had issues with the SNES resetting itself. This was not the case on my LED. Perhaps a dodgy PSU? (they're all officials though, if anyone has some ideas...)

Guess I'll try to hook up pin 9 of the S-RGB chip and see how true NTSC is faring in composite and s-video.

EDIT:
    Funny thing, my old Philips CRT in my bedroom supports PAL-M! But I hooked up pin 9 from S-RGB and now all my tv's show nice color in 60hz mode with composite and s-video.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  5. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

Hey guys,
    Finally got around to trying this mod out. I have done heaps of normal SNES's using the CIC.
    Now I get nothing happening. TV flicks but I do not get a display and the AV icon stays on screen. This normally happens when I try an incorrect region cart in a non-modded console. I am suspecting its something to do with the SuperCIC.
    The reason i say this is that the tri-led does not even switch on at all. The console is getting power and the SuperCIC chip is getting 5v. What could be the issue here? I have buzzed out all points to the CIC. I am getting 5v from the voltage reg. I have written a second PIC and same issue.
    Should the LED's light up by just giving power to the PIC? I am sure that this is the case.
    Below are some pics of my 50/60 board and also the PIC wiring. Please help!! :)

IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG

6. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Sounds like pic programming issue.

7. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

I have done more testing and now I am completely stumped. I used one of the PIC's I programmed in another SNES and it worked fine so this is not a PIC issue.
    I found on the working one that you need at least CIC pin 7 connected to the PIC as well as power and ground to get the LED running. I tried this on the new one and sometimes it came on and a lot of times it did not.
    I tested the voltage of the working console and it is running at 4.97V. The non-working one is running at 5.12V. Could this cause an issue?

8. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

OK. I reversed the mod and the console is still working thank god! I am now suspecting this is something to do with my 50/60Hz mod board not being made correctly.
    Just a couple of things. For the IC's I am using a 74LS04P and 74LS00N
    Could this be causing the issue? Please be kind as I am not great with some of this stuff.

9. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

I'm not quite sure, but on the picture it seems to me that Pin2 of the PIC is connected to Pad8 of the CIC. This should be Pad7, of course!

However, you may use alternative points at the cart connector for pad 1, 2, 7 and 11.
    - Pad 1 -> Pin 55
    - Pad 2 -> Pin 24
    - Pad 7 -> Pin 56
    - Pad 11 -> Pin 25
    This might prevent additional errors.

Have you measured the clocks output on X1? It might happend that the 74LS04 prevents the crystals to start their oscillation...

Best

Edit: I've seen the cables to Pad 7 and 8 are crossed - sorry for my mistake... However, you can test your clock circuit without being installed to the SNES... You have to connect Vcc and GND as well as a switch at the input of the S-CICs signal. If you switch the input to Vcc, you should have 17.734MHz at the clocks output, and 21.477MHz if you switch to GND.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  10. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

In my notes, I have it as:

CIC2 - Cart Slot 23
    CIC11 - Cart Slot 24

11. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

As pictured - it's 24 and 25. I'm sorry!!!

[​IMG]

Cart23 is /CPURD

12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Yeah, its 25/24

The snes jnr I have has the pin labels offset the other way. Just checked my one

13. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

OK. So I rebuilt my circuit using Kel's perfboard layout minus the IGR and SuperCIC. I found a 74HC04 on a junk arcade board and used that. Success!! What a nightmare this one was. Probably as I have never done one before. I must say it work seamless just like the normal SNES models.
    Not sure if my problem was the 74LS04 or the way I setup my board. Anyway live an learn.
    Thanks guys for the help

14. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

Yeah - hope you will have fun with your 'new' modded console :)

15. cam

cam Member

Hey,

I would like to share my experience here with everyone :)
    I did order SuperCIC + IGR for a PAL SNES from Bad_Ad84 (for those wondering, everything is included - even a cap to put on SuperCIC power pins which wasn't mentioned in any pages I read about this mod)
    so huge thank you to sir Bad_Ad84 for the programmed chips AND, of course, thank you to Ikari_01 for all the work he's done to get this SuperCIC working!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Next on the list is SNES mini I got in May :)

EDIT: The wonderful news is that my Secret of Mana cart is working very fine now on this PAL SNES! It wasn't working with the adapter for NTSC/NTSC-J games.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  16. borti4938

borti4938 Robust Member

Great clean work - I like that :D

But I was wondering about the cap. Why use a cap at the SuperCIC and not at the IGR. At the IGR it is even more important as this PIC uses the internal clock...

BTW: The "cap-problem" is something I've never thought about although it is commonly recommended in digitial circuits to use ~0.1uF caps at power supply pins. That's why I changed my entire PCB designs a few weeks ago after I've seen it in Bad_Ad84's designs. Thanks to him at this point for open my eyes for that problem :D

Can't wait to see your work with the SNES-mini ;) Will you use the entire PCB of Bad_Ad84 or do you solder everything on your own? Another opportunity is to use just a PCB for the clock switching network like this one here I made for another project of mine:

50_60_Takt_Switch.JPG

50_60_Takt_Switch_eingebaut.JPG

1 - is the mode-input
    2 - is the inverted mode (for the S-RGB if someone wants to use it)
    3 - clock output

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  17. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

My pcb still isn't out yet, been too busy with the Saturn modchip, but will happen soon.

You can put 1 decoupling cap between 2 ics too, especially when they are directly connected together.

And I have a 50/60 pcb only for 1chip too :)

18. cam

cam Member

Hey,

I did connect it to ground, I believe I made the mistake while I was drawing the wiring scheme, Thanks for pointing that out! I just did notice that I forgot a wire as well... (SuperCIC 13 to CIC 8). Will modify this tonight.

I used to mod Wiis and PS2s so I had time to get used to solder with AWG30 wires and I like to make it clean because in case of complicated wirings like I used to do on Wiis (was around 30 wires) it is easier to troubleshoot ;-) By the way I do like your PCB design, I would have done something like this if I had access to what's required to manufacture it.

Regarding the mini console, I'm waiting for a few parts to arrive before I start on it. I plan to make a PCB design of my own (like kel) and solder everything to it (50/60hz 1 chip mod + SuperCIC + IGR) and I'll try to put it on the left side of the board. I will take pictures of it and share it here.

EDIT: Just tried to change the clock with reset button and it was not working because of the missing wire. I had issues also on PAL games (as Borti3948 said - blue screen) at first start of the game but I still could play the game.
    I did fix both issues and now it's all good! Thanks again :)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  19. cam

cam Member

Hey,

Here is the pcb that will go in the SNES mini :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is just have to solder it now, I'll post new pic when done with it.

EDIT: pictures with pcb soldered to motherboard :) I couldn't confirm CIC pin7 on the cart connector so I soldered it on the CIC.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed every cap of the motherboard to change it all for brand new ones to extend the console's life. Just need to solder the new ones and put back heatsink and everything should be fine.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
    Getta Robo likes this.
  20. APE

APE Site Supporter 2015

Nice work, I don't have the patience to properly route so many wires. Would rather design a PCB and sell it.